Les Miles fired at LSU

Coach Bill Lewis

3 hours ago, Harry said:

Hermann is the #1 target based on this analysis:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/gallery/les-miles-lsu-fired-candidates-targets-herman-jimbo-fisher-coaches-list-names-candidates-092516

I think Herman would prefer the Texas job first and perhaps A&M after that.   However,, Strong and Sumlin have started off well this season so he may not want to wait around for it.  Also, his Houston team will land a playoff spot if they win out which they should... he may want to hang around and see what other options he has.

But if you get Houston in the playoff why leave?  Even if UH doesn't get an invite to the Big 12 but you have a competitive college playoff appearance UH has one of the easiest paths to the playoff for years to come in the Big 12 or not.  You can meet most of your recruiting needs within 250 miles of campus.   And if you luck up and actually win it all at Houston you are set for 10 years, nothing would be in your way from doing it again.  And as long as Saban has Alabama rolling in the SEC LSU is a hot seat coaching job with very little security.  If I were him I would go to the SEC East or not to the SEC at all.  If I were him I would wait for the perfect job to leave and LSU in the brutal SEC West is far from perfect.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Mike Jackson said:

But if you get Houston in the playoff why leave?  Even if UH doesn't get an invite to the Big 12 but you have a competitive college playoff appearance UH has one of the easiest paths to the playoff for years to come in the Big 12 or not.  You can meet most of your recruiting needs within 250 miles of campus.   And if you luck up and actually win it all at Houston you are set for 10 years, nothing would be in your way from doing it again.  And as long as Saban has Alabama rolling in the SEC LSU is a hot seat coaching job with very little security.  If I were him I would go to the SEC East or not to the SEC at all.  If I were him I would wait for the perfect job to leave and LSU in the brutal SEC West is far from perfect.

In addition to this...why is it that so few coaches these years want to create a legacy in lieu of a bigger paycheck?  Now, I understand if you're getting paid peanuts at a small-time program and receive an offer to go somewhere with clout...but if the only difference in pay is "already rich" vs. "even richer," if you have a chance to be THE coach who defines either that school's program overall or the modern generation of coaching at a program...isn't there anyone who would take that?  I understand that both are selfish in nature and that it's essentially wealth vs. ego, but in the long run, isn't the idea and possibility of a legacy that will never fade greater than that of having even more money than you could possibly spend?

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, JesseMartin said:

In addition to this...why is it that so few coaches these years want to create a legacy in lieu of a bigger paycheck? 

I think in today's college football, you can take Utah State to sixteen consecutive national champions, but you go 5-7 one year, and you're gone like yesterday's used hygiene products.  As with the greater employment arena, loyalty between employers and employees is gone.  Somebody offers me so much as a 15% raise, and I'm gone from the current job yesterday, my chair still spinning by the time I get to the car.  

Unless you're Nick Saban, I don't know that there is coaching legacy anymore.  But there sure as hell is an unbelievably volatile and unstable career field, wherein people should, and do, by necessity, seek lifetime security any time they can get it.

13 hours ago, JesseMartin said:

In addition to this...why is it that so few coaches these years want to create a legacy in lieu of a bigger paycheck?  Now, I understand if you're getting paid peanuts at a small-time program and receive an offer to go somewhere with clout...but if the only difference in pay is "already rich" vs. "even richer," if you have a chance to be THE coach who defines either that school's program overall or the modern generation of coaching at a program...isn't there anyone who would take that?  I understand that both are selfish in nature and that it's essentially wealth vs. ego, but in the long run, isn't the idea and possibility of a legacy that will never fade greater than that of having even more money than you could possibly spend?

The money has gotten so much greater especially from the power 5 conferences that most non p5 schools can't match it push comes to shove.  I also think all these up and coming coaches have extremely high aspirations such as legitimate national championships.  In addition to the boat load of money, these coaches want that best shot at the ultimate prize which is getting to a national championship game and winning it. I think the days of creating that legacy in a smaller school or school that is always about "potential" but not history and money is probably completely gone.

On 9/25/2016 at 7:46 PM, MCMLXXX said:

Arkansas State just lost to Central Arkansas and they have not won a game this year. Briles would be a good fit in Jonesboro. 

Never happen. Petrino went back to Louisville. Louisville and Arkansas State aren't in the same universe. LSU could and should hire Briles. No one expects SEC players to obey the law or go to school...

"After only playing 5 years of football I got a college degree"...Forest Gump

On 9/26/2016 at 1:11 PM, Green Mean said:

The money has gotten so much greater especially from the power 5 conferences that most non p5 schools can't match it push comes to shove.  I also think all these up and coming coaches have extremely high aspirations such as legitimate national championships.  In addition to the boat load of money, these coaches want that best shot at the ultimate prize which is getting to a national championship game and winning it. I think the days of creating that legacy in a smaller school or school that is always about "potential" but not history and money is probably completely gone.

But Houston (or UNT for that matter) is not a "small school".   And one year of 5-7 at school that has only known you as the coach to ever take your team to the promise land does protect your job.  And I don't think it is an either or thing depending on the coaches' age.  Chip Kelly has a legacy at Oregon and a NFL job.  Also he basically have any job FBS he wants outside of few unique places with myopic cultures.  I think he should stay at  Houston about 3 more years at least and maximize program.  Winning a national championship at a G5 school makes you an all time coaching legend.  Winning a national championship at a historic powerhouse just means you get to keep your job 3 more years max.  The only big competitive advantage that should ever make you leave a situation like Houston is now is the opportunity to hire the best assistant coaches and retain them for more than 4 years.

• Upvote 1

In the end it always comes down to the money.  Be it a coach, Dr., Methodist Preacher etc..... 

Why don't coaches stay loyal and build their legacy? Because schools don't stay loyal to them.  Neither side is at fault for this, it's just part of the job. 

• Upvote 2