MGB: UNT consultant: “We have a fan base that is fractured”

Brett Vito

21 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

This event was not put on by the AD office.  I don't think the intent was to have 2,000 people attend.  I believe the consultants reached their target audience.  The consultants, as well as a few of our key BMDs were able to see/hear first hand how the other 99% view the athletic department.

TreeFiddy gets it.    These guys are not dumb.  Word about the meeting got exactly to where it needed to go.  There was a specific group of people they wanted to hear from.  Those people were in attendance.  This was not a meeting designed for 1000's of people to attend.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, GreenTexan13 said:

There are over 250K alumni in the DFW metroplex. UNT is bouncing between the 4th and 5th largest university in Texas... And you bring up the most obvious elephant in the room.... 100 fans showing the die hard passion. The most obvious thing is sticking out like a sore thumb... We need to follow the Univ. of Houston model, start getting are crap together. 

There were 10,000 fans that came out to the SMU game last year....(We know the fans are out there) It's so frustrating that UNT has all the ingredients for a well followed and a stronghold program. But UNT's past leadership just can't get their ducks in a row. It's like the smart kid who showed so much potential to become a rocket scientist, yet bad decision making has left him to live struggling to get any sort of relevant minimum wage job.... 

According to the Alumni Association the number is 140K.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

6 hours ago, Stan R said:

I agree with your sentiments, I really do, and I'm getting more enraged the more I read and understand about what went on with George campaigning for Hank.  However, there are some fundamental let's say "mischaracterizations"  of the situation vis-a-vis this meeting.  

1.) Yes, there were "only" 100 people there, for an event not widely publicized, and when it was publicized, was done so very late.  It was also on a Monday night, up in Denton shortly after a workday.  (WTF is up with the AD office/consultants/anything going on of importance in Denton happening on weekday nights/weekday during work hours??)

2.) Our hard core fans on the alumni side, as has been discussed at length on this site and you are well aware, number around 10-12,000.  These may not be all Season ticket fans, but they are generally there at most of our home games. I'm not saying this isn't pathetic, but with all the nut kick 2-10 seasons we take regularly, in addition to pathetic AD leadership, is actually remarkable.

That is all, carry on with your regularly scheduled rants. To recap, agree with the rants mostly, slight redirection. 

The empty section of seats indicates they anticipated more. I agree about the Monday deal, but it's summer and weekends are precious to people this time of year, also.

I get that some people couldn't come, but if this was held at Tech, La Tech, Marshall, hell even at UTSA the thing would have had at least twice the attendance.

Also, I'd put the regular attendance number at around 6,000. About 1/3 of that for the last 3 home games last season. But we don't really know, do we? Another thing that was addressed at the meeting. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, GreenTexan13 said:

Nope...

https://www.unt.edu/alumni-friends.htm 

"More than 237,000 alumni live in the Dallas-Fort Worth Area."

(I was 13K off)

You're going to believe some text on top of a picture from Fouts field?

Seriously though, the UNT alumni association says they have 216k+ total alumni, and I've heard from the Director's mouth the number 140K in DFW.

57 minutes ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

You're going to believe some text on top of a picture from Fouts field?

Seriously though, the UNT alumni association says they have 216k+ total alumni, and I've heard from the Director's mouth the number 140K in DFW.

The 'North Texan' magazine that the university publishes occasionally has references to a number.  I don't recall at the moment the number or how they phrased it, but it was definitely higher than 140K.  Do we use alumni to refer to those that received a degree or anyone that has taken classes?

We don't have a fractured fanbase...we have a fractured university when it comes to supporting athletics. If the university supports winning as its major purpose for revenue sports, the fanbase will be there. But not doing anything to convince anyone with a brain that winning matters here will never move the needle here to grow the fanbase. But if they change course on this and make winning a top priority, then they have to fight the old guard in Denton and at UNT that want nothing to do with athletics at all. It's an incredibly difficult spot to be in.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

The 'North Texan' magazine that the university publishes occasionally has references to a number.  I don't recall at the moment the number or how they phrased it, but it was definitely higher than 140K.  Do we use alumni to refer to those that received a degree or anyone that has taken classes?

Alumni Association quotes the 140k DFW alumni as actual degree holders, not just the attendees that URCM uses (that crazy 240k number)

Big difference in affinity for an institution when using degree holders vs. attendees (someone that was here for a semester or two and dropped out/transferred) for benchmarking purposes in a Higher Ed atmosphere. Comes into play when calculating alumni giving rates, average donation ect. Stuff that goes in national peer reports or is collected by entities like US News & World Report for their rankings.

• Upvote 2

Alumni Association quotes the 140k DFW alumni as actual degree holders, not just the attendees that URCM uses (that crazy 240k number)

Big difference in affinity for an institution when using degree holders vs. attendees (someone that was here for a semester or two and dropped out/transferred) for benchmarking purposes in a Higher Ed atmosphere. Comes into play when calculating alumni giving rates, average donation ect. Stuff that goes in national peer reports or is collected by entities like US News & World Report for their rankings.

What does URCM stand for?

1 minute ago, Zeleny' Orel said:

When your money sports are winning, the difference is minimized.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Zeleny' Orel said:

University Relations, Communications and Marketing. AKA the brain trust that gave us all "Green Light to Greatness"

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Green Lantern said:

Thanks for clearing that up.

• Upvote 1