ODU AD Talks TV Deal

Cerebus

1 minute ago, Cerebus said:

Starting at 2:30.

Talks about "really embracing ESPN3" and accessing the content via devices.  

Smart man. Only if we had one like him... .  .    .        .               .                            .

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Starting at 2:30.

Talks about "really embracing ESPN3" and accessing the content via devices.  

Nice info! Streaming and sold out stadiums needs to be the rev streams. Anybody know what we pay cost of attendance? He mentioned $3,000 per.

• Upvote 2

Yep...CUSA needs to get in contract with someone that streams every single game and force feed that as the new norm to everyone not named the SEC, OU/UT, USC/UCLA/Oregon, Big10, FSU, etc. 

I really wish schools would get the drift and come together and get head of this thing. We could establish a very, very good regional conference in order to sell out stadiums and make streaming a huge part of it. 

• Upvote 2

Do people watch ESPN3?  Back in the Sun Belt days, I always found it a huge pain in the ass to watch unless I was at my computer.  Roku keeps making me re-register my internet carrier over and over again, and then the stream isn't all that great quality.

This past season, I was able to get it going on the TV, and would tune in to games like mighty Harvard vs. Georgetown.  The production quality was less than you'd expect from a Friday night game in Southlake.

I'm all for the streaming, but I'd want something considerably better than what I've seen in the past.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

Do people watch ESPN3?  Back in the Sun Belt days, I always found it a huge pain in the ass to watch unless I was at my computer.  Roku keeps making me re-register my internet carrier over and over again, and then the stream isn't all that great quality.

This past season, I was able to get it going on the TV, and would tune in to games like mighty Harvard vs. Georgetown.  The production quality was less than you'd expect from a Friday night game in Southlake.

I'm all for the streaming, but I'd want something considerably better than what I've seen in the past.

I bought an Android TV recently and any and all streaming content issues have been solved.  It all works so seamlessly that I can almost guarantee I will cut the cord in the next year or two. 

1 minute ago, HoustonEagle said:

I bought an Android TV recently and any and all streaming content issues have been solved.  It all works so seamlessly that I can almost guarantee I will cut the cord in the next year or two. 

It's hard for me to justify replacing my 2005 console TV since it's still in perfect working condition.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

It's hard for me to justify replacing my 2005 console TV since it's still in perfect working condition.  

I hear you.  I was torn on the same issue.  Think it was even a 2005 I replaced but I have not regret it in the least.  The built in technology is so much better and since it is Android based it is constantly updating its operating system much like a smart phone. 

5 hours ago, Graham said:

Wait, are you telling me that ESPN3 has been an option for us this entire time?

Please, please do this. 

It has not, since the last media deal.  I have been praying that espn3 streaming would be part of the new deal and I mainly posted this because the ODU AD is saying it will be.

The one BIG  caveat I have heard to this is that it may very much be like the MAC deal.  ESPN will carry any feed on ESPN3 from the MAC AS LONG AS THEY MEET THEIR PRODUCTION AND BROADCAST STANDARDS.  In effect instead of ESPN sending out crews to take care of anything the MAC schools themselves had to create everything as ESPN wanted it.  It required a significant outlay on each schools part.

Given how we handled bringing a Beyond the Green successor inhouse I would concerns that this program could accomplish that.  

49 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

TV's age like milk.  Hanging onto a TV from 2005 is like hanging onto a refrigerator form 1932.  It may still work, but there are new much more efficient models with many, many more features. 

Any of the new app based tv's will make services like ESPN3, HBO NOW, Amazon Video, Netflix, etc stream seamlessly.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

I loved it, I had my computer hooked up to my TV and it was the same as watching on a regular network. 

Streaming sports is absolutely the future. The very, very near future. 

Fun fact: Disney's (owner of ESPN) contracts with most of the major cable providers are expiring in 2017. And these are contracts that are a decade old. I.e. before anyone thought that streaming would overtake regular ole TV watching. Which, well, it has. 

I would be shocked if ESPN, and pretty much every sports network, doesn't unshackle from cable-only deals next year and start offering all of its broadcast games online. Just like HBO Now, Hulu Plus (owned by NBC), etc. 

The sooner we can get a better foothold in the streaming world the better we'll be in the long run. 

3 hours ago, HoustonEagle said:

Would you mind sharing what brand you bought?  I have been looking at would love a review of the one you purchased.  I used ESPN3 quite a bit until last year and it would never accept my cable carrier information.  It then became very frustrating.

Edited by UNTLifer

11 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Would you mind sharing what brand you bought?  I have been looking at would love a review of the one you purchased.  I used ESPN3 quite a bit until last year and it would never accept my cable carrier information.  It then became very frustrating.

Sony Bravia.  As to a review I really can't say anything bad about it to this point.  It's 4k so the picture is amazing. Being Android it is constantly updating making the experience better and less buggy.  I am a bit of an Apple fanboy, so I wish they had come out with their own TV with the Apple TV system built-in but that has yet to happen and I am very happy with this one instead. 

Edited by HoustonEagle

7 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

I love ESPN3.  Better than questionable regional networks.  I used to connect my computer via HDMI but now I Chromecast it.