Poll: North Texas fan opinions on move to C-USA?

Harry

North Texas fan opinions on move to C-USA?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. How do you view the move to C-USA 3 years later?

• It was a great move. Texas opponents, bigger budgets and more bowls.
    • It was a good move. Not the same conference we joined but better than Belt.
    • A new conference but very similar to where we have been.
    • Has not been a good move for North Texas.

15 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

ODU is going to be a star in this conference.  They are in a talent rich area with not a ton of instate competition.  They have the highest athletic budget in CUSA, by a lot.  They need to upgrade their stadium, but fundraising is going very well.  

They have almost five times as many season ticket holders than we do, and they played a seven home game schedule last year.   If this program doesn't turn around soon other CUSA teams are going to start wondering why they keep NT around, not ODU.

Oh, I agree, Cerebus. I just think both ODU and Charlotte, along with UTSA, were a strange add to a FBS league that had been around for a while. Seems like the SBC would have been suitable starting points for the eastern two, but ODU does have a lot of potential. They show you that having a solid basketball program can open up doors to fan interest and support for your school--IOW, its not all about football, as so many idiots on conference realignment have missed on so badly over the years. It may have started off that way, but TV market and revenue sports in total became the true drivers.

I will say that I worry MUCH more about our students and leadership figuring out a way to torpedo our existence at the FBS level than I do about CUSA drop-kicking us out, like the SBC did to NMSU and Idaho. UNT will always give CUSA leadership the ability to include DFW's population and TV market into their advertising pitches, even if we keep going in the direction we are currently. But if that fee ever gets rescinded, we are done as a FBS program. This is where the horrible hires and terrible AD leadership will doom us, IMO.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 5/8/2016 at 1:34 PM, rcade said:

It was a good move because it gave us more conference foes in Texas and took us out of the weakest FBS conference. But CUSA has proven to be a weak conference to be in, and under RV we're making it weaker.

EXACTLY THIS.

At some point you have to look in the mirror.  If we think that every conference that we're in stinks, we're VERY likely the reason that it does.  We are a HUGE university sitting smack dab in the middle of one of the best sports regions in the world.  It's time to take a bath, get good and sobered up, and stop blaming others for our own failings.  I think the fan base has already taken this to heart.  I have no idea if our administration has.

• Upvote 7

8 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

EXACTLY THIS.

At some point you have to look in the mirror.  If we think that every conference that we're in stinks, we're VERY likely the reason that it does.  We are a HUGE university sitting smack dab in the middle of one of the best sports regions in the world.  It's time to take a bath, get good and sobered up, and stop blaming others for our own failings.  I think the fan base has already taken this to heart.  I have no idea if our administration has.

Some truth to that. Some of our better conference mates seem to leave when we're in the neighborhood, and there's really no logical reason for that. It's really all about winning for us, and I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO tired of saying that.

• Upvote 1

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 11:00 AM, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Better than the Belt, even though it has become Belt 2.0 and Belt has become Southland 2.0.

Southern 2.0 we added the top two teams from the Southern, the ones winning all the FCS titles.

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 11:19 AM, Cerebus said:

ODU is going to be a star in this conference.  They are in a talent rich area with not a ton of instate competition.  They have the highest athletic budget in CUSA, by a lot.  They need to upgrade their stadium, but fundraising is going very well.  

They have almost five times as many season ticket holders than we do, and they played a seven home game schedule last year.   If this program doesn't turn around soon other CUSA teams are going to start wondering why they keep NT around, not ODU.

Imagine the Oklahoma City metro except larger.

Now imagine there is no NBA or other major pro team there.

And there is not a P5 team basically in the suburbs.

And there is not a P5 that is less than 70 miles away, instead the nearest P5 is 165 miles away.

THAT is what ODU has to work with!

18 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

Southern 2.0 we added the top two teams from the Southern, the ones winning all the FCS titles.

Imagine the Oklahoma City metro except larger.

Now imagine there is no NBA or other major pro team there.

And there is not a P5 team basically in the suburbs.

And there is not a P5 that is less than 70 miles away, instead the nearest P5 is 165 miles away.

THAT is what ODU has to work with!

Just stop it.  You and your facts.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On May 10, 2016 at 3:32 PM, TIgreen01 said:

I have no idea if our administration has.

Given the fact that the Hattiesburg Hustler still sits in the AD's office and Tony Benford still sits in the head men's Bball coach's office, you should have a very good idea.

Unless you believe words mean more than actions...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

I hated losing Tulsa and Houston......  but Tulane.... why. ??? .. I can't ever remember them being good at anything and I have been around a long time.... 

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

On Friday, May 13, 2016 at 4:18 PM, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

I hated losing Tulsa and Houston......  but Tulane.... why. ??? .. I can't ever remember them being good at anything and I have been around a long time.... 

They were undefeated and ranked #7 in 1998, the first nonBCS team to do anything special which helped force some changes for nonAQ bowling. But yes that was a LONG time ago

Houston has a much better "long term record".... They were very good at football in the 60's and 70's and in fact  they won the SWC their first year in the SWC.    They have also been powerhouses at times in basketball ... Elvin Hayes era and Olajuwon one plus they have had other great teams as well...  Tulane may have a few moments  [none that I can remember ] but was once the doormat of the SEC..  Houston's history is much better than Tulane's.