Spring Game/Practice

MeanGreen_MBA

We started out at the first softball game, then left middle of third inning to walk over to Apogee. Went up to the club level and watched game/scrimmage from first row. After football, we walked back to watch most of the second softball game. LaTech had a lot of fans at softball games, as UNT dropped both games - the first on run rule in five innings (while we  were at Apogee). 

Keep in mind that Alec Morris was playing against first team defense that seems to be coming together nicely. 

Great day to be out at the Village.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

The back up QB ks always the most popular man on the team.

I agree and tire of the excitement some here express over walk-on 4th stringers in general...

That being said, I watched the game online as best as I could. Shanbour was the best QB on the field, and I am not sure it was even close. Now one practice does not define the entire Spring or make someone the best player or starter. But I can see why Silver has been touting this kid. Morris should start, but Shanbour will push him and be a solid backup when needed. Could also be used here and there as a change of pace for his running abilities.

• Upvote 2

what i saw, Shanbour has a quick release and I think he can run if he has too.  Saw some misassignments on the secondary, we left a slot receiver uncovered and he scored but doubled the man on the outside.  Offensive line better needs get better fast.  Defense seems like they can hit but when you play each other it is hard to tell.  The offense and defense play against each other so much they know the plays.  As I recall mini mac had big numbers in the spring game last year.  My only question is why does anyone wear the number 5.  It brings out nothing but pain for me.  I see Morris in the jersey and i have flash backs.......burn that jersey.  I think we have an upgrade at qb regardless of who starts.  Running game looked weak , which something we are not use to seeing.  What happen to Ivory?

• Upvote 3

This'll sound minor, but can we get a better recording of the fight song to play through the PA?  At least a version where the flutes don't seem to drown everything out?   Man that's high pitched.  In real games, that's what they use if we score when the band is away from their seats for half time prep/return.  If UNT is a big time music school, don't we have some big time recording skills?   Just sayin' 

Now back to football talk. 

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, outoftown said:

Willie Ivery not being in spring drills: Have I missed that messagee all spring, or was that hushed up?

Actually, that's wrong.

Willie Ivery had an amazing over the shoulder long touchdown catch perfectly placed by Morris that had the entire coaching staff congratulating him.  

http://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/topic/112714-practice-update-from-sat-april-2/?do=findComment&comment=993790

Also, I saw footage of him out catching tennis balls in one of the "Mic'd Up" coaches videos.  So he hasn't been out the entire time.

• Upvote 1

Whoa let's pump the Shanbour brakes.

I'm a fan, don't get me wrong. Although he has the added run dimension, has moxy, and can be accurate in tight windows, Morris has a greater range of throws.

Right now, Morris is the clear lead and Shanbour is a very good back up that has me comforted should Morris miss time.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

This'll sound minor, but can we get a better recording of the fight song to play through the PA?  At least a version where the flutes don't seem to drown everything out?   Man that's high pitched.  In real games, that's what they use if we score when the band is away from their seats for half time prep/return.  If UNT is a big time music school, don't we have some big time recording skills?   Just sayin' 

Now back to football talk. 

That's how it is when it's recorded in a studio. 

Whenever we played Stars and Stripes Forever in high school me and the rest of the brass section had to hold back so we didn't drown out the piccolo solo.

All that being said, I think the problem is that somebody is using a crappy recording of the fight song. Sounds like it's being played from a 1997 GeoCities web site.

Edited by TheWestie