Any New England people out there?

GreenTexan13

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong forum. But, I recently accepted a job in Boston, MA. I wanted to see if there were any UNT alumni up and more specifically any UNT football fans up there that are on this forum. I want to make sure I catch every game I can on TV (fingers crossed that they show UNT games up in NE). If there are, I would like to attend some watch parties. I will also make sure that I go to the Army game this year too! please reach out to me, I want to stay connected to my North Texas roots!

Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 2

There are a few of us up here. I'm in Connecticut. I was able to watch every game on TV last year except one (I have DirecTV).  And if it wasn't on satellite, I could find a stream on the Internet. Looking forward to the Army game.  I took a group of about 10 last time we played up here.  

Boston is a lot of fun.  I was just up there a couple weeks ago.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, keith said:

There are a few of us up here. I'm in Connecticut. I was able to watch every game on TV last year except one (I have DirecTV).  And if it wasn't on satellite, I could find a stream on the Internet. Looking forward to the Army game.  I took a group of about 10 last time we played up here.  

Boston is a lot of fun.  I was just up there a couple weeks ago.

Thank you for the reply sir. Good to know, that I will be able to watch the games on TV.

4 hours ago, Graham said:

There's a deep crew here in NY. Holler if you make it down this way next season. 

Will y'all be attending the army game? I know we're a while away, but I'll definitely want to be standing in the mean green section of the stadium. Maybe tailgate with some fellow UNT fans if they are doing that as well on that day.

22 hours ago, GreenTexan13 said:

Will y'all be attending the army game? I know we're a while away, but I'll definitely want to be standing in the mean green section of the stadium. Maybe tailgate with some fellow UNT fans if they are doing that as well on that day.

Most definitely. There's actually a ferrey on game days that leaves from Manhattan and motors right up the Hudson River Valley to West Point. It's a beautiful ride and super convenient, especially if you're planning to partake in a few brews.

• Upvote 1

On 3/31/2016 at 8:50 PM, Graham said:

Most definitely. There's actually a ferrey on game days that leaves from Manhattan and motors right up the Hudson River Valley to West Point. It's a beautiful ride and super convenient, especially if you're planning to partake in a few brews.

Damn, you're making me miss the east coast. There was a big group of alum in DC when I was there. 

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Graham said:

I'll reach out to y'all during FB season. Looking forward to that game.

26 minutes ago, Quoner said:

Do you have a personal relationship with @Quoner?

(also, who is @Quail Doc?)

@Quail Doc has made exactly one post:

Big 12-2/Minus 2 Conference done...how do we benefit

Quail Doc replied to The Fake Lonnie Finch's topic in Mean Green Football

The way I see it is that UNT will likely stay in the Belt.

36 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

@Quail Doc has made exactly one post:

Big 12-2/Minus 2 Conference done...how do we benefit

Quail Doc replied to The Fake Lonnie Finch's topic in Mean Green Football

The way I see it is that UNT will likely stay in the Belt.

TFLF chased him off?

alright...I feel bad for helping hijack this thing...I'm sure @GreenTexan13 is a good kid, so I'm gonna try and give a serious-face answer.

I'm live in connecticut and find myself up in boston a a handful of times a year.

first off, some non-sports related things of importance...are you living in Boston proper or one of the neighboring towns like Cambridge or Somerville? do you like good booze, especially whiskey? I recommend getting to know the good people at Bully Boy Distillery. if you need music venue/bar/restaurant/cultural activity suggestions, feel free to ask. 

now...if you're wanting to go watch games at a bar...I'd say you'll probably be able to find 4-8 games a year. my advice on that front:

1. establish your local. basically find your bar...get to know and befriend the bartenders (friend...never hook up with anyone who works at your local(s) or they may not be your local anymore) and tip them well...make at least acquaintance with the regulars...frequent the establishment for purposes other than just watching UNT games. assuming you pick a spot with televisions and at least some sort of sport following they'll likely have some sort of satellite package that will pick up at least a handful of games. since you're a friendly, good-tipping familiar face you may even end up getting set up with a good tv and sound...that's likely more than you'd get in dallas. I have a particular Irish pub in town that I've been frequenting since I moved and have a good relationship with the staff and owners

2. whether it's your local(s) or if because of availability you're pressed to search and go outside your usual circle of bars to watch a game...either way...do your research ahead of time. know what channel...the number, not just foxsportsSW or what-not...the game is on. your conversation should well-resemble this:
"excuse me...you have directv, right? y
a...would it be possible if I could get a tv turned to channel 655?
oh...it's not there?
maybe the standard def, channel 712.
yes...you're awesome, thank you so much. could I get a Harpoon IPA, a Bully Boy whiskey neat and a menu? I'd like to open a tab, thank you. 

outside of that, you're probably relegated to finding a live stream online or turning on KNTU. if you have a local and they like you, feel free to bring your laptop, if they have wifi. I've been that guy a handful of times. 

• Upvote 1

CBL speaks truth. Also, a house flag is a great conversation starter by people who, believe it or not, don't know anything about RV, the 17, the 1988 Texas game or any of the other crap that can shape your internet fandom. You're giving people a chance to pull for an underdog and if you pull for theirs in return (Providence Hockey NCAA 2015 champs, dawg!), you can make a pretty fun support group quickly.

Edited by Quoner
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

alright...I feel bad for helping hijack this thing...I'm sure @GreenTexan13 is a good kid, so I'm gonna try and give a serious-face answer.

I'm live in connecticut and find myself up in boston a a handful of times a year.

first off, some non-sports related things of importance...are you living in Boston proper or one of the neighboring towns like Cambridge or Somerville? do you like good booze, especially whiskey? I recommend getting to know the good people at Bully Boy Distillery. if you need music venue/bar/restaurant/cultural activity suggestions, feel free to ask. 

now...if you're wanting to go watch games at a bar...I'd say you'll probably be able to find 4-8 games a year. my advice on that front:

1. establish your local. basically find your bar...get to know and befriend the bartenders (friend...never hook up with anyone who works at your local(s) or they may not be your local anymore) and tip them well...make at least acquaintance with the regulars...frequent the establishment for purposes other than just watching UNT games. assuming you pick a spot with televisions and at least some sort of sport following they'll likely have some sort of satellite package that will pick up at least a handful of games. since you're a friendly, good-tipping familiar face you may even end up getting set up with a good tv and sound...that's likely more than you'd get in dallas. I have a particular Irish pub in town that I've been frequenting since I moved and have a good relationship with the staff and owners

2. whether it's your local(s) or if because of availability you're pressed to search and go outside your usual circle of bars to watch a game...either way...do your research ahead of time. know what channel...the number, not just foxsportsSW or what-not...the game is on. your conversation should well-resemble this:
oh...it's not there?
yes...you're awesome, thank you so much. could I get a Harpoon IPA, a Bully Boy whiskey neat and a menu? I'd like to open a tab, thank you. 

outside of that, you're probably relegated to finding a live stream online or turning on KNTU. if you have a local and they like you, feel free to bring your laptop, if they have wifi. I've been that guy a handful of times. 

You want to go to the Harper Brewery at least twice a year....try their Beer Pretzels....  Sam Adams is pretty cool as well....

8 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

oh...it's not there?

I need to frame this post in a picture frame and put it next to my front door. I'll be a Southie, living in the South End/ Back Bay area. So I'm not going to be a Boston Claimer and living in Dorchester or Quincy. Anyways.. Thanks for the tips, I might need those venue/bar/restaurant/cultural activity suggestions that you speak of. Fire away shooter, maybe in my own inbox, since people are probably sick of me getting advice in the public thread.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Quoner said:

CBL speaks truth. Also, a house flag is a great conversation starter by people who, believe it or not, don't know anything about RV, the 17, the 1988 Texas game or any of the other crap that can shape your internet fandom. You're giving people a chance to pull for an underdog and if you pull for theirs in return (Providence Hockey NCAA 2015 champs, dawg!), you can make a pretty fun support group quickly.

People will scoff at me for this, but this has happened to me with co-workers who went to Tech or other big Texas schools too. I'll promise to check their box scores every once in a while and they'll act mildly interested in UNT because they had a high school classmate who played there or something. It's such a difference in competition that they enjoy hearing from an underdog fan of a local college.