MGB: Three games that will be vital to UNT's season

Brett Vito

31 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I might throw Army in there also.  I know this is terribly optimistic, but coming out of OOC with a 3-1 record would be huge.

Coming out of OOC with a 3-1 record would be huge! I think it's very, very optimistic to predict that will happen, but if it did it would be a huge boost going into the rest of the season. 

• Upvote 1

Hi Guys,

I've been visiting the forum and reading the mail mainly to keep up with what is going on and possibly looking forward to visiting you guys for a game or two once we finally come back to Texas (Kerrville) and you guys don't mind if I wear my Portland State jersey. I actually may have to wait till you visit UTSA, since San Antonio is the closer to where we will be living. Anyway, I wanted to comment on the topic at hand.  

I know that you guys are looking at your game with Bethune-Cookman with bated breath, but I propose a bit of caution on your part.  Yes B-C is an FCS team, but I might remind you they finished the season just out of the FCS top 25 (27th or 28th) and those HBU's are always tough and are always ready to prove themselves

They know you guys are in the rebuilding process, with a new coaching staff, a new system and possibly a lot of young players. They will be looking at the result of your last encounter with a ranked FCS team, they will be coming in, knowing that this is only your second game of the season and possibly still getting used to the new schemes, with a chip on their shoulder the size of Rhode Island, chomping at the bit, with the incentive of forcing you into playing their game.

Like I said earlier, don't take any game lightly and as Portland State proved against Wazoo and you guys, dynamite comes in small packages. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, caseyorourke said:

Hi Guys,

I've been visiting the forum and reading the mail mainly to keep up with what is going on and possibly looking forward to visiting you guys for a game or two once we finally come back to Texas (Kerrville) and you guys don't mind if I wear my Portland State jersey. I actually may have to wait till you visit UTSA, since San Antonio is the closer to where we will be living. Anyway, I wanted to comment on the topic at hand.  

I know that you guys are looking at your game with Bethune-Cookman with bated breath, but I propose a bit of caution on your part.  Yes B-C is an FCS team, but I might remind you they finished the season just out of the FCS top 25 (27th or 28th) and those HBU's are always tough and are always ready to prove themselves

They know you guys are in the rebuilding process, with a new coaching staff, a new system and possibly a lot of young players. They will be looking at the result of your last encounter with a ranked FCS team, they will be coming in, knowing that this is only your second game of the season and possibly still getting used to the new schemes, with a chip on their shoulder the size of Rhode Island, chomping at the bit, with the incentive of forcing you into playing their game.

Like I said earlier, don't take any game lightly and as Portland State proved against Wazoo and you guys, dynamite comes in small packages. 

And if SMU beats us by 20 plus (a very real possibility), B-C will see the blood in the water.

(you know, because they are from Florida and sharks and stuff).

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 7

13 hours ago, caseyorourke said:

Hi Guys,

Et tu, 90?

But seriously, I know everyone wants us to be bowl eligible this year. I would certainly love that, and I'll definitely be talking smack and cheering for wins on Twitter, etc.

I know we talk about setting high expectations because A) we should and ii) we need to act like a big school, but we have been put back at square one. We literally have to crawl up from the bottom, behind about 100 or so FCS and Div-II, etc, schools.

We need to start somewhere and we need to take it one week at a time (and other Belichickian phrases).

Asking Littrell to be bowl eligible Year 1 will set him and us up for failure. 

But I'll be rah rah-ing just the same with 1 win or 15. 

The only thing we can gauge this year is the difference in coaching, and any freshmen that get play time.

I'll say it again: I'm just gonna have fun watching Air Littrell (so fetch!) this year. I'll set no expectations on the team and I'm just going to watch the kids ball out.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

This post deserved to be in the "Why We Need A New AD" thread.

Rick

Haven't you reached the bottom of the barrel when a fan of an FCS school comes over to your fan site and tells you to watch out for another FCS school on the schedule, all because he saw his FCS school beat us by 59 points at our place...on our Homecoming date? I mean, he is a very nice poster, not some Cougar Queen type poster. He is not even talking trash--he is coming here to basically warn us not to look past a school that absolutely no one in Texas will give one iota about when they come to town.

We are getting sympathy posts from a guy who follows FCS Portland State, a school that lost in their first playoff game last year. They aren't NDSU or Sam Houston or some other school that has challenged for FCS championships recently.

And we keep the AD who scheduled this wonderful opponent, as well as being the person who hired the coach that led us to the worst loss in modern college football history. To the UNT 17, thank you for firing RV's hire immediately after this embarrassment, but we really need new leadership over there at the athletic department, even if it means (GASP!!) that you might lose some of your access to the worst program in FBS right now.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 5

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Haven't you reached the bottom of the barrel when a fan of an FCS school comes over to your fan site and tells you to watch out for another FCS school on the schedule, all because he saw his FCS school beat us by 59 points at our place...on our Homecoming date? I mean, he is a very nice poster, not some Cougar Queen type poster. He is not even talking trash--he is coming here to basically warn us not to look past a school that absolutely no one in Texas will give one iota about when they come to town.

We are getting sympathy posts from a guy who follows FCS Portland State, a school that lost in their first playoff game last year. They aren't NDSU or Sam Houston or some other school that has challenged for FCS championships recently.

And we keep the AD who scheduled this wonderful opponent, as well as being the person who hired the coach that led us to the worst loss in modern college football history. To the UNT 17, thank you for firing RV's hire immediately after this embarrassment, but we really need new leadership over there at the athletic department, even if it means (GASP!!) that you might lose some of your access to the worst program in FBS right now.

We all know Mac drove the team into the ground, we didn't ever fix the QB problem (Mac made it worse with Mcnutty), UNT players didn't care anymore, and we had the most sorry excuse of a defensive coordinator in FBS football. We were a wounded animal in 2015. I am forever changed by that Portland State massacre.....

- Compliments of RV

here's to hoping Seth can make mud into diamonds...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Aldo said:

Et tu, 90?

But seriously, I know everyone wants us to be bowl eligible this year. I would certainly love that, and I'll definitely be talking smack and cheering for wins on Twitter, etc.

I know we talk about setting high expectations because A) we should and ii) we need to act like a big school, but we have been put back at square one. We literally have to crawl up from the bottom, behind about 100 or so FCS and Div-II, etc, schools.

We need to start somewhere and we need to take it one week at a time (and other Belichickian phrases).

Asking Littrell to be bowl eligible Year 1 will set him and us up for failure. 

But I'll be rah rah-ing just the same with 1 win or 15. 

The only thing we can gauge this year is the difference in coaching, and any freshmen that get play time.

I'll say it again: I'm just gonna have fun watching Air Littrell (so fetch!) this year. I'll set no expectations on the team and I'm just going to watch the kids ball out.

stop_trying_to_make_fetch_happen_1.png.C

• Upvote 1

On 3/1/2016 at 0:22 AM, untjim1995 said:

Sorry Jim, didn't mean to ruffle your eagle feathers.....

The truth be known, I have developed a liking for your team and quickly becoming a fan.  

I do feel some sympathy for you guys because, like you and all the rest of the die-hard Mean Green fans,  I suffered through many years of poor seasons at Portland State, but never gave up  and always have remained a true fan. So, when I make these observations, I am not trying to be smug or snarky, I'm doing it because I hope someday to be counted among those who will celebrate your success your team deserves.

Yes we didn't win our first playoff game, but that was our first playoff game in 15 years, so we aren't a NDSU, Sam Houston or UNI (teams that have in the last few years become regular fixtures in the FCS playoffs.)  In fact we weren't even picked to end up where we did.  We was picked to be near the bottom of the Big Sky. But our success was the result of finally finding the right coach and I hope and pray that Seth Littrell  will be what Bruce Barnum became for Portland state

• Upvote 6

21 hours ago, caseyorourke said:

Sorry Jim, didn't mean to ruffle your eagle feathers.....

The truth be known, I have developed a liking for your team and quickly becoming a fan.  

I do feel some sympathy for you guys because, like you and all the rest of the die-hard Mean Green fans,  I suffered through many years of poor seasons at Portland State, but never gave up  and always have remained a true fan. So, when I make these observations, I am not trying to be smug or snarky, I'm doing it because I hope someday to be counted among those who will celebrate your success your team deserves.

Yes we didn't win our first playoff game, but that was our first playoff game in 15 years, so we aren't a NDSU, Sam Houston or UNI (teams that have in the last few years become regular fixtures in the FCS playoffs.)  In fact we weren't even picked to end up where we did.  We was picked to be near the bottom of the Big Sky. But our success was the result of finally finding the right coach and I hope and pray that Seth Littrell  will be what Bruce Barnum became for Portland state

Trust me, you didn't ruffle my feathers...its just hard not to be embarrassed by the worst loss in modern college football history and the fact that we have to be warned about looking past another FCS team on the schedule.

• Upvote 3