UNT is Now a Carnegie Doctoral University: Highest Research Activity (R1)

Cerebus

List of Doctoral University: Highest Research Activity (R1) Universities in Texas:

• Rice
  • Texas A&M
  • Texas Tech
  • Houston
  • North Texas
  • UTA
  • UT
  • UTD

List of Doctoral University: Higher Research Activity (R2) Universities in Texas:

• Baylor
  • SMU
  • TCU
  • UTEP
  • UTSA

There are also 16 " Doctoral Universities - Moderate Research Activity (R3) Universities in Texas.  

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

List of Doctoral University: Highest Research Activity (R1) Universities in Texas:

• Rice
  • Texas A&M
  • Texas Tech
  • Houston
  • North Texas
  • UTA
  • UT
  • UTD

List of Doctoral University: Higher Research Activity (R2) Universities in Texas:

• Baylor
  • SMU
  • TCU
  • UTEP
  • UTSA

There are also 16 " Doctoral Universities - Moderate Research Activity (R3) Universities in Texas.  

I almost thought that would be great company sans UTA; but then I remembered how great their engineering program is. So i'll just say: suck it TCU & SMU!

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 3

Just now, oldguystudent said:

Is this the vaunted tier 1 status to which UNT aspires?

UNT has been trying to get to R1 for over a decade, it is a huge draw to top quality researchers, research funding, and top undergrads.

Tier One is a set of criteria the Texas Legislature created to grant marginal access to the PUF.  UNT is still working on that, just last year we hit a running five year average of 200 PHD's awarded per year.  The highest bar is going to be raising our endowment to the correct level.  

• Upvote 6

3 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

UNT has been trying to get to R1 for over a decade, it is a huge draw to top quality researchers, research funding, and top undergrads.

Tier One is a set of criteria the Texas Legislature created to grant marginal access to the PUF.  UNT is still working on that, just last year we hit a running five year average of 200 PHD's awarded per year.  The highest bar is going to be raising our endowment to the correct level.  

And after years of neglecting their alumni, this is a massive uphill climb.   This is where something like fantastic football would act as a shot in the arm.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Cerebus said:

Which is a long ways off from I can tell and much lower than UoH and Tech at this point. That will need to be addressed. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

And after years of neglecting their alumni, this is a massive uphill climb.   This is where something like fantastic football would act as a shot in the arm.

5 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Which is a long ways off from I can tell and much lower than UoH and Tech at this point. That will need to be addressed. 

I believe the latest figures were around ~$150M, the qualification requirement for Tier One is $400M.  We have work to do.  

Like Cerebrus said, those are just the requirements to get to the mostly grant and philanthropic matching funds provided for by the state of Texas to help propel us to "Tier 1." 

Tier 1 seems like somewhat of an arbitrary term though. According to Texas, there are only 3 in the state: UT, A&M, and Rice. 

University of Houston released this statement as well: 

"[T]here are three organizations that are generally accepted as national arbiters of an institution’s rank as a Tier One institution. They are the Association of American Universities, the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching and the Center for Measuring University Performance, which issues Top American Research University (TARU) reports. Recognition by any of these three is taken as an indication of Tier One status. "

However, I believe most would state that being recognized by all three is required to be considered Tier 1, which is why there are only 3 in the state, also the only three who are member of the Association of American Universities. 

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes

This is a really big deal- only 115 universities nationwide have this distinction. 

It's not a CUSA Football championship, but this helps UNT get more respect re: academics 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

"Tier One" specifically relates to the criteria set by the Texas Leg to allow access to a small amount of the PUF money.  It's mainly nice because:

Doctoral University: Highest Research Activity (R1) is very prestigious, there are 4,726 Title IV Degree Granting Institutions in the US, only 115 (2.4%) of them made R1.   There is a lot of federal and private research dollars that won't even consider non R1 schools.   R1 status will attract top quality researchers and students.  In football term, we just made the P5, and colleges will have much better success recruiting top talent.  

Great!  At least we'll be able to say we play with the big boys in terms of research.  Now, I'm sure we'll still have alot of stigma/perception to overcome.  But I hope the University bombards every single Texas/Oklahoma high school counseling department with this updated information.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

"Tier One" specifically relates to the criteria set by the Texas Leg to allow access to a small amount of the PUF money.  It's mainly nice because:

PKIpbOq.gif

Doctoral University: Highest Research Activity (R1) is very prestigious, there are 4,726 Title IV Degree Granting Institutions in the US, only 115 (2.4%) of them made R1.   There is a lot of federal and private research dollars that won't even consider non R1 schools.   R1 status will attract top quality researchers and students.  In football term, we just made the P5, and colleges will have much better success recruiting top talent.  

I guess it's confusing because we are talking about both the Texas "Tier One" fund and being recognized as a "Tier One National Research University." UoH is arguing they (and now us) are Tier One nationally because of the Highest Research (R1) rating. Most publications state we would also need to be a part of American Association of Universities. Requirement for that I'm not sure, but I'm guessing we still have a ways to go. It includes 105 Universities including UT, A&M, and Rice. 

4 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

I guess it's confusing because we are talking about both the Texas "Tier One" fund and being recognized as a "Tier One National Research University." 

Actually I don't think the school (or I) has claimed we are "Tier One", the press release calls it "Top Tier."  If I were to talk to an academic I would say we had made " Carnegie  R1", I think that would mean a lot to a researcher. 

R1 is nothing to be sneered at, this may not mean a lot to the average CFB fan but in the academic world it is huge.  

ETA: Just re-read and the release and it does mention "Tier One" once, that is a little misleading.  

Edited by Cerebus
  • Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Great!  At least we'll be able to say we play with the big boys in terms of research.  Now, I'm sure we'll still have alot of stigma/perception to overcome.  But I hope the University bombards every single Texas/Oklahoma high school counseling department with this updated information.

2 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Actually I don't think the school (or I) has claimed we are "Tier One", the press release calls it "Top Tier."  If I were to talk to an academic I would say we had made " Carnegie  R1", I think that would mean a lot to a researcher.  Calling R1 "Tier One" is misleading I think because in Texas "tier one" has a very specific meaning.  

R1 is nothing to be sneered at, this may not mean a lot to the average CFB fan but in the academic world it is huge.  

Nor am I saying that you did. I think we are getting our wires crossed here. 

Tier One,” “Top Tier” and “Nationally Competitive Research University” are terms used interchangeably to refer to universities known for world-class research, academic excellence, an exceptional student body, and the highest levels of innovation, creativity and scholarship." (Sorry C&P'd and having trouble with the formatting). 

There is also "Tier One" legislation passed by Texas for the funding you were speaking of. 

I'm just saying that R1 is one part of the equation in determining who is a Tier One, Top Tier, or Nationally Competitive Research University. 

42 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

BINGO!  That is why athletics is so important and football in particular.

3 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Nor am I saying that you did. I think we are getting our wires crossed here. 

Tier One,” “Top Tier” and “Nationally Competitive Research University” are terms used interchangeably to refer to universities known for world-class research, academic excellence, an exceptional student body, and the highest levels of innovation, creativity and scholarship." (Sorry C&P'd and having trouble with the formatting). 

There is also "Tier One" legislation passed by Texas for the funding you were speaking of. 

I'm just saying that R1 is one part of the equation in determining who is a Tier One, Top Tier, or Nationally Competitive Research University. 

Right.   But for all intents and purposes, when UNT says we're striving for "Tier One" status, it's the one Cerebus is referring to regarding State PUF funding.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1