UTEP (1/3/16)

CMJ

3 minutes ago, flyingeagle12 said:

UTEP up 82-75. :31 sec to go

What happened... Wasn't it like75-77 with 1:30 to go. Tough loss, but we played better than most thought we would I think. 

We gave up 7 points and opulent even score the last 1:30 of the game :/ 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, flyingeagle12 said:

UTEP fouled like 4 straight times down the court and we missed almost every free throw. Barely shot over 50%

Wow. Yea we missed 16 free throws and still only lost by 9. Down by 2 with 1:30 left I bet we wish we could go back and finish better.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

You rather play Eaglin, Pittman, or Ward? We have only have 11 scholership players.      9 of them can really play and 4 of them are post players. Who else is going to run point?

Whose fault is that? Players I'm sure.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

Wow. Yea we missed 16 free throws and still only lost by 9. Down by 2 with 1:30 left I bet we wish we could go back and finish better.

recruiting...dont recruit guys who cant shoot a FT worth a flip especially if they dont shoot the ball well out of HS...its really not that difficult. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Andrew said:

Tough to say better free throw shooting would have won the game but we certainly won't win many close games with a FT shooting percentage of 59.5%!

16 games to win 10 to get to 16-15.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Tough to say better free throw shooting would have won the game but we certainly won't win many close games with a FT shooting percentage of 59.5%!

16 games to win 10 to get to 16-15.

It was close at the end. The score doesn't show how close it was. Down by 2 inside 2 minutes is close. Team blew a winnable game. Better come home and beat rice. 

• Downvote 3

2 hours ago, GMG24 said:

recruiting...dont recruit guys who cant shoot a FT worth a flip especially if they dont shoot the ball well out of HS...its really not that difficult. 

Yeah, NT should have not offered Combs.  Without his 20 pts and 19 rbs, no one would care about free throws because the game would have been a blow out.  

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Andrew said:

It was close at the end. The score doesn't show how close it was. Down by 2 inside 2 minutes is close. Team blew a winnable game. Better come home and beat rice. 

The Miners went on a 7 point run to close out the game.  While it might have "been close" at the 2 minute mark, the team went ice cold from the floor when they took a 1 point lead with 4 minutes remaining in the game!

We better beat the Owls given they are 5-10 0-2!  Fun Stat: This team has yet to beat a team with a winning record!

3 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Yeah, NT should have not offered Combs.  Without his 20 pts and 19 rbs, no one would care about free throws because the game would have been a blow out.  

Or Brice.... He and Combs should both be off the team! It works in the NBA.... Guys like Howard and Jordan would never be allowed to play or given large contracts....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

21 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Pick out the exception. Good job bud. What's your excuse for the rest? 

I watched this game on American Sports Network. Benford line-ups were a head scratcher at times. For some reason, he cut Johnson, Brown, and Brice minutes, and increased minutes of Pittman and others. Johnson and Brown are two of our best scorers. If we aren't going to make free throws, wee need to at least keep our best shooters in the game. The ASN announcers commented "I've never seen anything like this" when were something like 0-8 at the free-throw line, and they commented that we shoot 3's better than free throws. They also said they asked Benford about the free throw problems, and Benford told them that "We don't understand it. We've tried everything to fix it" or something similar to that. This is a game we would have won if we only made our free-throws. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Pick out the exception. Good job bud. What's your excuse for the rest? 

Absolutely incredibly  stupid response.  Anyone who bothered to watch the game or follow the season at all, knows that Combs is the most important player for NT on the court and it is his free throw shooting because of the number of attempts that is the most important for the team.  

Brown's poor free throw shooting is even a bigger mystery but far from as important to the team.  But like Combs, I am very glad Brown was recruited.  Brice and he both could be very special before they leave NT.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Absolutely incredibly  stupid response.  Anyone who bothered to watch the game or follow the season at all, knows that Combs is the most important player for NT on the court and it is his free throw shooting because of the number of attempts that is the most important for the team.  

Brown's poor free throw shooting is even a bigger mystery but far from as important to the team.  But like Combs, I am very glad Brown was recruited.  Brice and he both could be very special before they leave NT.  

Actually it wasn't Combs is the exception; could not shoot the ball great out of HS but was one of the top athletes around.  Excellent pick up and the points and boards were absolutely necessary.  However, this team is incredibly under coached and under performs.  Meh, the bball team is not good and it is a direct reflection of the head coach. 

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Actually it wasn't Combs is the exception; could not shoot the ball great out of HS but was one of the top athletes around.  Excellent pick up and the points and boards were absolutely necessary.  However, this team is incredibly under coached and under performs.  Meh, the bball team is not good and it is a direct reflection of the head coach. 

Combs has added a nice little shot from mid range. He hits it more often than not this season. His shooting has improved. Free throws are still the mystery.

• Downvote 2

2 hours ago, chrisfisher said:

I watched this game on American Sports Network. Benford line-ups were a head scratcher at times. For some reason, he cut Johnson, Brown, and Brice minutes, and increased minutes of Pittman and others. Johnson and Brown are two of our best scorers. If we aren't going to make free throws, wee need to at least keep our best shooters in the game. The ASN announcers commented "I've never seen anything like this" when were something like 0-8 at the free-throw line, and they commented that we shoot 3's better than free throws. They also said they asked Benford about the free throw problems, and Benford told them that "We don't understand it. We've tried everything to fix it" or something similar to that. This is a game we would have won if we only made our free-throws. 

Free Throws are all about discipline and practice. Kids know that dunks, 3-pointers, and behind-the-back passes get attention from the fans. Good coaches know that defense, rebounding, and free throws get you wins. Coaches known as recruiters only don't usually translate into good head coaches because they don't know how to gameplan or execute in games, nor do they run decent practices--of which free throw shooting is huge.

Benford's days here are numbered. We aren't finishing with a record that will allow him to get extended. When it becomes mathematically impossible to reach a postseason invite, he will get fired. My guess has always been in late January/early February. I still believe that. The only thing that will shock me is to see him coach one day beyond this season, extension or not. Either way would represent UNT Athletic Leadership at its finest...

21 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Combs has added a nice little shot from mid range. He hits it more often than not this season. His shooting has improved. Free throws are still the mystery.

Yes his midrange shot in HS was good. Teams knew if you kept him off the glass, and made him put the ball on the floor you had a good chance of minimizing his production.  FT shooting for him is mental because like you said he does have a good mid range game.