Coach

EAGLE83

How about Butch Davis,Tony Levine,Derek Dooley

These are actually some thought provoking candidates.

I actually would consider Dooley because I think he can recruit.  The downside is he really blew up bad at Tennessee.  He could be a Skip Holtz type of hire here.

Skip Holtz is a great example of how a retread can be a GREAT hire.  They learn a lot from their meltdown plus they have done it at a high level and it lessons some of the "learning on the job" factor.  Mac was in principle this same type of hire, however we didn't vet the offense and the recruiting component enough.  I know that Dooley knows how to recruit and has a very detailed plan of attack on how to execute that I think might work.  I worry that he may prefer to stay on the NFL pathway and might return there if things got tough.  I would rather consider a NCAA focused candidate.  Would be someone I would at least interview.  His connection with the Cowboys is a plus.  He does not have Texas ties per se but he has certainly recruited Texas before.  He's still fairly young at 47.

Sort of ambivalent on Levine but I do think he would be a good working man type of consideration.  He's not flashy, but he proved at Houston he could recruit and run a program. 

No to Butch Davis.  Too much cheating, also he's sort of the Fran Fraschilla type candidate -- been out awhile.  Risky.  Also 64.  Like Mac doesn't need the money and not very hungry.

Levine was making $925k and had a 5 year compensation guaranteed for 5.2 million.

the 2.1 million we owe Mac seems like a lot but Levine was still owed over 1 million after posting 4 of a 5 year deal with a winning record.  4 years of winning here in C-USA may have given UNT cause to build a statue of a coach when you look at our coaching track record.

at this point, I feel fairly good that we can and will come up with the right money.  My bigger concern is our track record for coaches.  UofH had Briles and Sumlin to sell Hermann.  

The more I think about it, the more I could consider Levine here IF he was given a good budget for assistants.

By the way -  the players Hermann is winning with at Houston.  They are all Levine recruits for the most part.

Levine was a great guy and most never had anything negative to say about his character and he truly knows the definition of student-athlete plus is obviously a great recruiter. His only problem was losing to mediocre schools like UTSA, Tulane and others plus he couldn't hire a good OC to save his life and that's what became his downfall. He will be a great fit for UNT if he hires the right staff around him.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Absolutely no to Levine.  But Dooley had crossed my mind before--he was in over his head at Tennessee, but he did very well at a program comparable to ours.

I understand your hesitancy to Levine.  He is certainly not flashy and him sitting out this past year is not good.  That said, I would say without reservation that this man would have left us in a LOT better position than Dan McCarney would have.  He would not be my top candidate but I would interview him if he was interested.

Levine was a great guy and most never had anything negative to say about his character and he truly knows the definition of student-athlete plus is obviously a great recruiter. His only problem was losing to mediocre schools like UTSA, Tulane and others plus he couldn't hire a good OC to save his life and that's what became his downfall. He will be a great fit for UNT if he hires the right staff around him.

Wait...is this positivity from Cougar?? Damn, even he's feeling sorry for us. 

• Upvote 4

Dooley is very interesting--local guy, coaching WRs for the Cowboys. Good run at La Tech, but couldn't hack it in the SEC, which is nothing to be ashamed of. Might even keep him from ever getting any interest from that level again.  But maybe he is a good coach for the G5s, basically a George O' Leary or Skip Holtz type of coach...

I understand your hesitancy to Levine.  He is certainly not flashy and him sitting out this past year is not good.  That said, I would say without reservation that this man would have left us in a LOT better position than Dan McCarney would have.  He would not be my top candidate but I would interview him if he was interested.

In the sense that he could out-recruit McCarney and leave the following coach with a better roster, I have no doubt.  But he seriously underperformed with a very solid roster that Sumlin left him.  I'd hate to see what kind of performance he could eke out of our present roster.

I'm sure he's interested and has most likely already contacted UNT.  He is a great recruiter in Texas.  Even as a head coach, he was involved in recruiting.  Definite upgrade. He is a player's coach though.  I'm not sure if his mindset changes after the UH experience, but some said he was too nice and not enough disipline.  Cool guy.  

Would not be a bad hire if you can't get a better name.  Have to see who he can bring in as the Co ordinator though.  

• Upvote 1

Recruiting is extremely important, but I think player development is equally as important. I don't believe for a second that the right coaching staff would not be winless with tga exact same group of kids we have here now. 

No to Davis for all the stated reasons. I like the potential of the other two. I'd still like to go the coordinator route but I also like options. 

Can I throw out the name of Jon Kitna, former Dallas/Detroit QB who is coaching down in Waxahachie.   I think he's already making around 90k and has turned that HS team around.  He's a name, plenty of pro experience and has now learned to coach up youngsters.  Aaaand I think he's sitting OK money-wise.  Meaning he might be willing to stick around regardless of other big offers down the road.

Just sayin...

Edited by MeanGreenRoadrunner
  • Upvote 2

Can I throw out the name of Jon Kitna, former Dallas/Detroit QB who is coaching down in Waxahachie.   I think he's already making around 90k and has turned that HS team around.  He's a name, plenty of pro experience and has now learned to coach up youngsters.  Aaaand I think he's sitting OK money-wise.  Meaning he might be willing to stick around regardless of other big offers down the road.

Just sayin...

Famed Texas QB Successfully coaching high school football? Yeah... I think we tried that...