Should Rick Villarreal be fired? Poll

UNT90

Should Rick Villarreal be fired?  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think RV's time at UNT should be over?

Hfs talks about tunnel vision, but let's be honest, those sports are the ones people care about in Texas. They are suppose to bring in money. Is it not pathetic we haven't sold out a brand new stadium.... which had to be replaced because of all the stuff wrong with fouts( which hfs didn't mention). Basketball attendance is WAY down and we aren't even competitive. What hfs fails to mention is that RV doesn't make hires that keep up competitive in cusa. Furthermore, cusa needed teams. It isn't like RV make this miraculous jump into a conference that no one saw coming. RV is under performing plan and simple. His hires are well below having a winning average. Yes, RV has done somethings, but he has taken us as far as he can. 

Edited by mgfan
  • Upvote 2

And, what did having a good basketball program get us?  You guys act as though we were the mid-major answer to Kansas.  Not even close.  We went to the NCAAs twice in 11 year.  We had one first place finish in 11 years.  We were good...but, we weren't some mid-major act like Gonzaga.  .    

Contrarian, contrarian, where forth are thou, contrarian.

Folks, you are being trolled hard. Don't engage. He is simply yanking your chain. I give as much legitimacy to his vote as I do to Arvee's. 

We're on the same page here.  Don't get me confused with UNT90 who is scorching earth chiding these extremely generous people.  And, whether he's here or not, that Athletics Center should have his name on it.

To me though, this type of thinking is either fear ("The Devil you know is better than the Devil you don't", which I used to subscribe to) or contentment with where football/basketball is right now.  We both know football is the bell cow of any Athletic Department not named Duke, Kentucky, Kansas or in the original Big East.   You must trust the Athletic Director to make the proper hires in this particular sport over any other.  Do you fully trust RV to make this upcoming hire?  If so, more power to you.   There are many here though who do not, based on his recent hires.

If RV were to be replaced, do you think these generous donors would stop giving?   I would hope not.  Their allegiance, just like you & I, should be to their University, not to Rick Villareal.  And, I bet there are more people out there who would give, but either don't because of RV (thinking of Mr. Goldfield & Mattress Mac), or because they haven't been approached with a viable way to give.  A new Athletic Director could possibly cultivate/re-cultivate those relationships while keeping the existing ones.  All the while, keeping these beautiful buildings coming.

Now, if Pres. Smatresk were to make a terrible hire as a replacement, then we're in trouble.  It's certainly a risk.

I think you have me confused with Ben Gooding. Nothing scorched earth here. Just point out that there is no reason for supporting someone who has continually failed in multiple aspects of job performance other than a personal relationship. Buildings are nice, but at other places, consistent hiring failures that lead to multiple hiring failures and consistent losing gets the AD fired. Apparently not at UNT. 

What other reason do you think there is? We can afford the 16 month buy out.Its definitely not a money thing.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

RV is doing to job wonderfully.  Keeping UNT program exactly where TCU wants it to be: As not a threat to snatch up players that would provide backup depth at TCU.  And at this point I think the 17 are TCU fans also.  They just look at Apogee and some of the other facilities as their own private sports bar.  The only drawback for them is that they can't drape it in purple.

• Upvote 2

RV is doing to job wonderfully.  Keeping UNT program exactly where TCU wants it to be: As not a threat to snatch up players that would provide backup depth at TCU.  And at this point I think the 17 are TCU fans also.  They just look at Apogee and some of the other facilities as their own private sports bar.  The only drawback for them is that they can't drape it in purple.

More personal attacks on the very people that have tirelessly and unselfishly donated millions of dollars to make this place better for everyone.  Very nice.

• Upvote 7

More personal attacks on the very people that have tirelessly and unselfishly donated millions of dollars to make this place better for everyone.  Very nice.

I would rather be sitting in run down Fouts Field (the independent vendors there had better food for EVERYONE at Fouts by the way since you mentioned everyone) watching the Mean Green kick some but with between 10K-15K students than  sitting in an empty sport palace Apogee getting killed by a FCS team.  Nice place for everyone?  Facilities count more when it comes to the education process.  We have great academic facilities and whatever the 17 have contributed to that, I am very grateful.  However, it is very clear these 17 are more loyal to RV than they give a shit about the revenue sport performance.  Call it "personal" not very nice or whatever fuck you want to call it.  Have fun in your nice empty palace and be sure to kiss the ass of the 17 when you they come down from their towers.  Give me a break.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Guys please don't use curse words (in this case the f word).  It's against the board rules.  If the person who did it does it again he will be on the GMG sidelines for awhile.

Edited by Harry

• Harry locked this topic