Sad and I'm hurting

DeepGreen

Does that include unlocking a thread to post bye bye GIFs?

Just talking about process, not protocol or propriety... As an admin/mod, you have to really be looking to see that a thread has been locked, because we automatically have the ability to reply in locked threads. 

In the past, I've posted in a thread that was already locked and didn't realize it until later. And, I almost posted a comment in the thread you're referring to, but halfway through I saw the little bitty line saying "this thread has been locked" and stopped. 

You would know.

DallasGreen is the WORST poster on here. At least when I post things 9/10 they aren't too serious. DallasGreen posts non-stop bullshit about the Denton hippies and the things UNT is actually good at keeping us from being a top-tier football program. He's delusional, obscenely out of touch, and comes off more or less as the guy shaking his fist at the young teenagers and ranting on 60 Minutes about them damn millennials. I don't really care one way or another what he, or, for that fact, most of you think about me or my opinions. If that's not clear yet, you clearly haven't been paying attention to my posts over the past 5-6 years.

Also, Deep, if by learning you mean "learning" in the same vein of "learning" stuff from Donald Trump, then, I'm good. Didn't you hear? Us millennials are wrecking the status quo and don't respect our elders!!!!

You know, in addition, what good has he ever done for the Denton community? Looks like yet another "alum" who went here, regretted how 'liberal' 25% of the campus was and bitched about Denton and left to Dallas. Dallas isn't our university's hometown. Denton is. Trashing Denton is trashing UNT, and that's the reality. Dallas isn't UNT's hometown as much as we try to pretend it is.

I can't recall a less intelligent post ever being written on this board.

Bravo?...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

Balcony, the MVC football conference was down to next to nothing by the time: Fry took NT out.  Schools in MVC in 1975 after NT left:  Tulsa, New Mexico State, West Texas, Drake and Wichita State.  

So lets get rid of that myth.  The problem was that Fry got minimal support at NT and he left.  Then the real issue is what happened after Fry departed. The decision was made to reduce expenses and basically let the program slide into Iaa.  

It is true that if NT had still been in the MVC than some of the requirements to remain 1a would have been less.  However,  does anyone really think that the administration at that time had any inclination to stay in 1a?

I was at the town meeting that Hayden called shortly after arriving,  (before he even coached one game here), and one of the things that he mentioned as a future goal was for North Texas to be "the Notre Dame of the south".   That meant that we would be going "indy".......which we did. I remember that very well, because I smiled and turned to a friend and said "does that mean we're going from a state school to a Catholic University?.

Alright, I apologize for opening up the belittling can of worms there. Ryan, we should really know better.

---

I do find it odd however that "history" argument in the context of what we were speaking to, Jim. I'm just not sure it exactly relates the discussion at hand.

Something I believe plagues this board as well as several factions of the old guard alumni of UNT is this sense of trying to win or re-win strategic battles previously lost - even if those losses came decades upon decades prior. Why? There is no point wallowing in bitterness if not only to continue feeling bitter. Let that history inform your decision-making but don't attempt to revise it. Such actions are beyond futile. Let's actually tackle the issues and battles of today in modern terms and parameters without the antiquated thought of trying to fit a 2015 square peg into a 1976 round hole.

But while we're on the topic of history, Jim, why attack a function of the university that is at the core of who we are? Producing the top teachers, and music teachers to boot, is something we have excelled at from day one of those studies. Our graduates in this field are beyond highly sought after. If it is the thought that those teaching alumni wouldn't make enough to become donors to cultivate, then perhaps let's take a step back and see if we agree that the teaching profession should be as highly regarded and compensated as those in medical, legal, or financial fields. I think we could at least commonly acknowledge that excellent teachers and instructors can have as much if not more of an impact on people's lives as competent physicians or surgeons do, and should probably be compensated as such. While the roots of that funding would be very un-capitalist, the notion that these positions will only go to and continue to be held by the top teaching professionals will drive a kind of job marketplace competition that Capitalists love, no?

----

Apologies again if I seem to have something stuck in my craw over all of this. I just get personally worked up whenever anyone attacks my alma mater and further my College needlessly and stupidly. Especially from someone who serves such a valuable function with the UNT Foundation. Jim, in your position, you'll also see and know that we have greatly sacrificed scholarships within the COM to broaden the potential for highly-recruited STEM and business students. It's just frankly insulting to advocate the way you do against a College that makes the right sacrifices where appropriate and gets a hell of a bang for its buck in terms of its various products both human and non.

----

Jim, if you ever want to discuss this further in person there's a couch seat in my office with your name on it.

Christopher Walker

Administraive Asst. to the Divisions of Composition Studies and Music Education | UNT College of Music

REDACTED FOR CEREBUS IS SMARTER AT TIMES WHEN I AM NOT.

Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Upvote 1

Alright, I apologize for opening up the belittling can of worms there. Ryan, we should really know better.

---

I do find it odd however that "history" argument in the context of what we were speaking to, Jim. I'm just not sure it exactly relates the discussion at hand.

Something I believe plagues this board as well as several factions of the old guard alumni of UNT is this sense of trying to win or re-win strategic battles previously lost - even if those losses came decades upon decades prior. Why? There is no point wallowing in bitterness if not only to continue feeling bitter. Let that history inform your decision-making but don't attempt to revise it. Such actions are beyond futile. Let's actually tackle the issues and battles of today in modern terms and parameters without the antiquated thought of trying to fit a 2015 square peg into a 1976 round hole.

But while we're on the topic of history, Jim, why attack a function of the university that is at the core of who we are? Producing the top teachers, and music teachers to boot, is something we have excelled at from day one of those studies. Our graduates in this field are beyond highly sought after. If it is the thought that those teaching alumni wouldn't make enough to become donors to cultivate, then perhaps let's take a step back and see if we agree that the teaching profession should be as highly regarded and compensated as those in medical, legal, or financial fields. I think we could at least commonly acknowledge that excellent teachers and instructors can have as much if not more of an impact on people's lives as competent physicians or surgeons do, and should probably be compensated as such. While the roots of that funding would be very un-capitalist, the notion that these positions will only go to and continue to be held by the top teaching professionals will drive a kind of job marketplace competition that Capitalists love, no?

----

Apologies again if I seem to have something stuck in my craw over all of this. I just get personally worked up whenever anyone attacks my alma mater and further my College needlessly and stupidly. Especially from someone who serves such a valuable function with the UNT Foundation. Jim, in your position, you'll also see and know that we have greatly sacrificed scholarships within the COM to broaden the potential for highly-recruited STEM and business students. It's just frankly insulting to advocate the way you do against a College that makes the right sacrifices where appropriate and gets a hell of a bang for its buck in terms of its various products both human and non.

----

Jim, if you ever want to discuss this further in person there's a couch seat in my office with your name on it.

I hope that you know that I have really and honestly turned over a new leaf--almost solely because you correctly called me out on it on here--regarding the College of Music. My history of this place is just to remind folks that the truest window to the university is music and arts, as well as a value tuition. I really felt mostly jealous of the first part, never having looked at this from the standpoint of how great that College of Music really is for the university and town.

I owe you and all of those graduates, as well as the current students in the College of Music a great apology for that slight.

I just want us to win at the two sports I care about. But the BOR and leadership doesn't want that as much as I do. And the history of that mindset always being this way is what just kills me. And its why so many UNT alumni and students cheer for and financially support UT, A&M, Tech, OU, etc...

But calling someone gramps and having dementia is beyond stupid on this--or any-public forum. That was what drew the ire...

Edited by Cerebus
Edited out Chris Walker's contact info in the quote.
  • Upvote 4

I just want us to win at the two sports I care about. But the BOR and leadership doesn't want that as much as I do. And the history of that mindset always being this way is what just kills me. And its why so many UNT alumni and students cheer for and financially support UT, A&M, Tech, OU, etc...

But calling someone gramps and having dementia is beyond stupid on this--or any-public forum. That was what drew the ire...

As well it should have; it was petty on the part of Ryan and I.

And man do I (and many more in the COM then some think) really, really want us to be successful in the money sports as well. We don't see it as a knock on us when the University supports Athletics in any way. It's why I voted for the Student Athletics Fees, it's why I'm a season ticket holder, it's why I'm a donor - in the small way I can be.

The success of those sports benefits us all.

• Upvote 2

"Sad and I'm hurting" pretty much explains the feelings than were felt in most of the posts on this thread. Yes, UNT losses on the turf and the basketball floor hurt, but we have a lot to be proud of. The history is what it is, and nothing here is going to change that. Yes, I am as frustrated as any of you and I think some changes are needed. Our concerns have been noted in Bret's blog this week, and are no secret. Let's criticize constructively when we can, but otherwise do what we can to support our athletes.