Another Reason that More Government Can Really Screw Stuff Up

Leave it up to a govt agency in place to protect the environment to totally screw the environment. Please explain to me why we want MORE government involvement in our lives. 

Very short answer...WE DON'T!  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Very short answer...WE DON'T!  

Normal people don't but some think the govt, which doesn't give a flip about the individual person, should have more and more control over our everyday lives. I guess if I was incapable of running my life and excelling, then maybe I would need some help. 

Edited by GreenMachine
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Let's go back to pre-EPA when rivers were catching fire and children could play in mountains of carcinogens. 

It looks like that is where the liberal  EPA of Pres. Obama's administration is trying to take us. Lol.

where is your FEMA outrage of 2005?  

never question a government agency when a far left democrat is in office, right?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

The problem is, too many people put their trust in the wrong people/ideas.

Want bigger government to look out for the common good?   That's a great idea, except that ALL POLITICIANS, regardless of which side of the aisle they are on, are not looking out for you or the common good.  They're looking out for themselves and their buddies & funding partners.

Want less government because you think private enterprise will take care of the common good?   This ain't the 1930's - 1950's.  People don't give back anymore.  "Poor? too bad, work harder, get an education and get a job."
Corporations are off-shoring jobs and doing any/everything they can do to maximize profits for their shareholders... at the expense of their employees and local economy.  CEOs and other rich people are hoarding wealth and rarely give back either.

In order for either way to work, people's hearts have to change, and there needs to be more compassion for other people.   And, this is 'Murica...  It ain't happening.

• Upvote 5

In order for either way to work, people's hearts have to change, and there needs to be more compassion for other people.   And, this is 'Murica...  It ain't happening.

Unfortunately, that "compassion" of which you speak has just become another political buzzword for more entitlements and more government interference into the lives of every American.  

Good morning America!

Who can we offend today?   There has to be some group out there whose feelings can be hurt today, right?  We haven't entitled everyone yet, right?  Did anyone else notice all those offended fans watching the Washington Redskins play last night against Cleveland?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Unfortunately, that "compassion" of which you speak has just become another political buzzword for more entitlements and more government interference into the lives of every American.  

Good morning America!

Who can we offend today?   There has to be some group out there whose feelings can be hurt today, right?  We haven't entitled everyone yet, right?  Did anyone else notice all those offended fans watching the Washington Redskins play last night against Cleveland?

ugh...maybe offended that they had the audacity to call that football. 

but this is an interesting one to me...I've personally never had a major issue with the name, but I also get how what was/is a pejorative term for a group of people could offend is probably not the most suitable nickname for a sports franchise. 

what I don't get is why there has, from non-Redskin fans, been such vocal backlash against those pushing for the change. why are you so offended by their offence? 

ugh...maybe offended that they had the audacity to call that football. 
but this is an interesting one to me...I've personally never had a major issue with the name, but I also get how what was/is a pejorative term for a group of people could offend is probably not the most suitable nickname for a sports franchise. 

what I don't get is why there has, from non-Redskin fans, been such vocal backlash against those pushing for the change. why are you so offended by their offence? 

Maybe because RGIII is running their "offence". 

Don't know who I was offended by more .... RGIII or Manziel.  Tough tough call.  Ha.  OK, hands down Manziel.

Good morning America!

I certainly don't mean it as a political buzzword.  

I mean, people should look around at others who may not be as "well off", understand they've been blessed, and help (using dollars or talents)...  Rather than greedily wanting more.  I think we (as Americans) used to do this much more often, but for one reason or another have diverted our attention to ourselves.

The politicians and people who are concerned with government affairs who use it as a buzzword may or may not be genuine, but any action based off of it is half-hearted at best and predatory/opportunistic at worst.

Either way, it's not a reality.

• Upvote 1

I think we (as Americans) used to do this much more often, but for one reason or another have diverted our attention to ourselves.

I think that the general rule is that the very wealthy have always striven to amass as many resources and as much wealth as possible, the poor and less fortunate be damned.  See just about anything by Charles Dickens as reference.

What I think has changed is that a given group of poor, unfortunate, outcast, and/or downtrodden did use to help each other out within their communities moreso than today.  See works by Steinbeck as reference.

Today, for whatever reason, the poor, unfortunate, outcast, and/or downtrodden have been divided amongst themselves, no longer helping each other, no longer working for the good of their own communities, taking what tables scraps they can for themselves, all others be damned.

This leaves the weakest of the weak relying on government handouts/assistance (pick your word depending on your side of the aisle) because they've no other way.  Over the course of a couple generations, this reality becomes their status quo.  They expect it.  Demand it.  So what do we do about it?  That's the $64,000 question.

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 1

Charitable giving has gone UP every year through the last few decades except for a downturn during the most recent recession, according to this website:

http://nccs.urban.org/nccs/statistics/Charitable-Giving-in-America-Some-Facts-and-Figures.cfm

It's a myth that Americans are not generous.  I believe MORE would give MORE, if not for the already ridiculous tax burdens we now face simply to run these overgrown, unneeded bureaucracies at the federal level.

Edited by LongJim
  • Upvote 5

Charitable giving has gone UP every year through the last few decades except for a downturn during the most recent recession, according to this website:

http://nccs.urban.org/nccs/statistics/Charitable-Giving-in-America-Some-Facts-and-Figures.cfm

It's a myth that Americans are not generous.  I believe MORE would give MORE, if not for the already ridiculous tax burdens we now face simply to run these overgrown, unneeded bureaucracies at the federal level.

I'm not talking about the dollars.   I would assume that at least some of that giving is people throwing money at the United Way or some other huge charity so they can have tax write-offs.  Not saying United Way isn't a good charity, but just throwing money at them is not the same as finding a local food pantry (and maybe even volunteering some hours) or something...   directly impacting your community.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm not talking about the dollars.   I would assume that at least some of that giving is people throwing money at the United Way or some other huge charity so they can have tax write-offs.  Not saying United Way isn't a good charity, but just throwing money at them is not the same as finding a local food pantry (and maybe even volunteering some hours) or something...   directly impacting your community.

A good reason why the federal government is not best equipped to determine where aid dollars should be allocated.

• Upvote 1

A good reason why the federal government is not best equipped to determine where aid dollars should be allocated.

Agree, but have you ever really sat with the leadership of most non-profits - especially the ones that stress a corporate model? It's at best case disorganized and usually a giant sh*t show with a huge salary imbalance at the top levels. I don't want to name anyone, even if you all unite and offer me dimes or start wishing for a cure, but it can be very disheartening.

MGT is making the right point - this magical altruistic solution is not going to come from either side. It needs to come from meaningful engagement through people who legitimately want to serve others, which is a call to action being crushed on both sides of the political spectrum. 

On the other hand, that won't give us moments like this...

130205_laura_bush2_328_605.jpg

Edited by Quoner
  • Upvote 4

Medicare/Medicaid are great ideas for federal programs.  Lots of elderly & poor rely on it for their healthcare costs.  Obamacare is a great idea too, but it is being executed so poorly.  WIC, food stamps at the state levels, I can go on & on... There are places where government can help... I just don't trust them to do so effectively.  I also don't trust people to pick up where the government leaves off if we were to shut down all of these programs either.

• Upvote 1

I think you need to pick out some people you consider rich and selfish and then Google their charitable giving. I think you will be shocked. 

Dont fall victim to the propaganda.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I think you need to pick out some people you consider rich and selfish and then Google their charitable giving. I think you will be shocked. 

Dont fall victim to the propaganda.

The sky is falling...a comment by UNT90 that I agree 100% with!  Wow!  I am so tired of folks completely overlooking the good deeds many of our wealthiest citizens do for their communities.  Many do so very quietly and without the fanfare that many others seem to crave.  And, this notion that America is not compassionate is pure BS.  It IS happening...because this IS America!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Let's go back to pre-EPA when rivers were catching fire and children could play in mountains of carcinogens. 

Yep the EPA screwed this one up ..... but first a mining company just left and the mine was a total mess... Apparently about 5000 mines like this exist... The EPA are not perfect and make mistakes but near Pecos  it was discovered lately that an oil company had been dumping waste on the ground .... ruining the soil ... and  groundwater in the area... and was polluting water wells ..... and if not discovered would be in the river system and our lakes...  The EPA  isn't perfect but in the oil fields (and many other industries) things would be far worse without them keeping an eye on things. There are areas out here  that are so ruined by oil company waste (pre EPa) that weeds won't even grow. .... At least we now have some agency TRYING to keep us safe and  our water usable. In Texas the RR commission has to plug a lot of abandoned wells when companies (which may have gone out of business) abandon them.... If not plugged , the wells may leak chemicals and .saltwater into our water supplies.

Remember the company in West Virginia that was caught dumping toxic chemicals into a river there recently ... Can't trust much of cooperate America to do what is right ... just to try to make a profit.   Check out China also (no EPA or anything similar... at least not until recently... } .... Their rivers and air  quality is a total mess....

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Is man inherently good or evil? Join us on GMG.com as we answer this question by spouting random names and reporting anecdotes we can think of for the next few days to finally resolve this century old question of the nature of mankind.

• Upvote 4

Is man inherently good or evil? Join us on GMG.com as we answer this question by spouting random names, GIFs, and reporting anecdotes we can think of for the next few days to finally resolve this century old question of the nature of mankind.

Anything as deep as that is sure to involve @Cerebus so I fixed it for you.

Edited by Army of Dad
  • Upvote 2