Future OOC

DeepGreen

We have a punchers chance to beat any one at home, any one. Problem is, is that our AD so miraculously managed to get us 5 games at home. Dan McCarney's road winning % at IASt and here has been possibly as bad as any tenured head coach in the country. So, I don't think the Mean Green are bad on the road, I think Dan McCarney is bad on the road. Our saving grace is hopefully history doesn't find away, yet again, to repeat itself.

So come the 2nd half of the season I am just hoping for good health for our team, but this being a pivotal season Mac might bench players for having hangnails during the second half of the schedule so he'll have something to point at and scream about so the burden won't be squarely on his back (like it would be anyway). **sigh**

In the Big XII at Iowa State you are pretty much guaranteed two road conference losses though. The 1976 Earl Bruce team is arguably the best ever at Iowa State and they lost at Colorado and Ok St and at home to OU. McCarney's 2000 team is the only ranked Iowa State team since 1976. They only lost once on the road (at Kansas State) but lost at home to Nebraska and TAMU.

Just how do you miraculously get a P5 team to come to that proven football hotbed of Denton (a joke in and of itself)? Especially since it is easy to get a game in Jerry's World or even the Cotton Bowl or Ford Stadium to placate your Dallas recruiting ties? No one likes to play to empty stands and the good citizens of Denton would not even know if you scheduled Notre Dame until the Monday after when they wondered if they had changed the date for St. Patrick's Day. Little "d" was not named the sorriest sports town in America a few years back for no reason. To play an OU or an OSU in Apogee, you would have to have a big screen outside the stadium to accomodate the visitors as they would grossly outnumber the thousands who regularly support NT by driving in on game day. Denton itself is more concerned about the concert that night or the freebies at the local Walmart.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

UTSA fan unlike others on here I will not concede the Runners quite yet. In fact, NEVER. If we win one game this year I would want it to be against the orange and blue from the south, not the west. I expect the Green to sell it out and get over this disastrous hump of beak that has pissed me off twice in person. I have a ton of family that went to UTSA and I can't stand losing to anything San Antonio - Spurs, Runners...Yet we do it over and over up North.

But I hold out hope and if the Mean Green get the memo that we and many on this board have simply bowed down to you over the years - I expect a bloodbath because someone inside that locker room is going to wake up and realize WE NEED TO BEAT THIS TEAM.

So bring it GREEN!

GMG

• Upvote 1

That's cool, I respect your passion for your team. I never got from other posts a sense of concession, just an insiders perspective on the program and it's state. It was never my intent to be dismissive toward UNT based on my past if it came across like that. I am certainly not saying UTSA will win in October, there is way too much change in the program right now. Honestly, I hope UTSA goes undefeated and UNT is one game short of that, but I'm afraid this will be a rebuilding year. If we can't represent C USA W, I hope you all do. Nobody wins when the conference isn't filled with strong teams.

• Upvote 2

Just how do you miraculously get a P5 team to come to that proven football hotbed of Denton (a joke in and of itself)? Especially since it is easy to get a game in Jerry's World or even the Cotton Bowl or Ford Stadium to placate your Dallas recruiting ties? No one likes to play to empty stands and the good citizens of Denton would not even know if you scheduled Notre Dame until the Monday after when they wondered if they had changed the date for St. Patrick's Day. Little "d" was not named the sorriest sports town in America a few years back for no reason. To play an OU or an OSU in Apogee, you would have to have a big screen outside the stadium to accomodate the visitors as they would grossly outnumber the thousands who regularly support NT by driving in on game day. Denton itself is more concerned about the concert that night or the freebies at the local Walmart.

Yes, because a game at Ford is played in front of so many. Dallas is such a douchey town, hell they don't even know SMU football exists. Don't like Denton? Cool, but don't act like Dallas is utopia.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

This is by far the worst post I have witnessed on this board. People from Dallas won't even come 40-45 miles north to see SMU play at Apogee. I honestly think UNT will bring a bigger crowd to Dallas then SMU did to Denton. The problem you speak of is the lack of winning, not about hippie and hipster concerts. I disagree with your post on so many levels.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You guys realize there's more to it than just making a list of teams you'd like to come to Denton and calling them and telling them to come, right? There's another party involved in the decision-making process that has to believe playing a game at North Texas will benefit to their own program and advance its goals and objectives.

• Upvote 2

You guys realize there's more to it than just making a list of teams you'd like to come to Denton and calling them and telling them to come, right? There's another party involved in the decision-making process that has to believe playing a game at North Texas will benefit to their own program and advance its goals and objectives.

You mean like the pitch that Arkansas St. made Mizzou?

The kind of pitch that ULM made Baylor?

I could go on, but it's exhausting constantly pointing out how others get it done.

Both for me and for you.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I figured someone would cite AState vs. Tulsa.

Lol. So YOU are the reason Tulsa shunned us, causing RV to be unable to fill the void 3 years out.

Please don't post like this on here. Some will take this as an actual truth. Hell, our AD may see it as an additional excuse to use...

Lol. So YOU are the reason Tulsa shunned us, causing RV to be unable to fill the void 3 years out.

Please don't post like this on here. Some will take this as an actual truth. Hell, our AD may see it as an additional excuse to use...

Signed them back in September to a home and home 2018 and 2020. It was probably a joint effort to screw UNT. :thumbsu:

• Upvote 1

UNT90s rants might wear on you, but you really cannot argue that he is dead-on about the scheduling suckiness of OOC teams in Apogee by RV. We were told that teams like Indiana and Houston would be the norm for OOC, that we could now attract bigger names here.

Since then, we have played these home OOC games: Texas Southern, Idaho, Ball State, SMU, and Nicholls State. Beginning this season and going forward, we have home OOC games against Portland State (only one in 2015), SMU, Army, Lamar, Abilene Christian, and Incarnate Word. For a lot of fans, games against FCS competition isn't worth our money or our time. I didn't watch Texas Southern or NIcholls State come to Apogee, nor will I watch Portland State, Lamar, Abilene Christian, or Incarnate Word when they visit Denton. Idaho, Ball State, SMU, and Amry are fine, but they really should be the second game of OOC home scheduling, to be matched with a decent name from the other G5 leagues...I don't even expect a P5 game anymore, just give me a MWC (or BYU), AAC, or MAC school to fill out the schedule. I get that Big XII teams won't play here--they have nothing to gain from it, which is sad if for nothing else because a game at ULM is looked at as being more valuable than a game with UNT--but other P5s could have come here during the last few years, before they started tightening up their OOC schedules.

Hell, I'd rather play Texas State in a long series to play along SMU and Army than to play those FCS or low level G5 spares...

Hell, I'd rather play Texas State in a long series to play along SMU and Army than to play those FCS or low level G5 spares...

I've been saying this for years. Our schedule would be chock-full of Texas programs. So many easy road game destinations. We wouldn't even know what to do with ourselves.

But again, isn't up to UNT entirely. There must be mutual interest in a series between any other program.

• Upvote 1

You remember that time a year ago when RV told Harry on a podcast that he was working one a 1 and 1 with a P5?

So...

I guess just telling the fan base what they want to hear. Must be nice to never be held accountable for what you say and do...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

You remember that time a year ago when RV told Harry on a podcast that he was working one a 1 and 1 with a P5?

So...

I guess just telling the fan base what they want to hear. Must be nice to never be held accountable for what you say and do...

That was Purdue. Didn't work out...unless you want to schedule them sometime in the 2020's as I recall. I read the emails from the Purdue AD discussing it...he was all for it, except with all the conference changes he was now locked in until the 2020's sometime.

Yes, I realize it is hard to believe but sometimes it just doesn't work out. And Purdue was not the only P5 talked to about a 1 and 1 that did not work out due to any number of things. Understand some schools got it done...doesn't mean UNT did not try and doesn't mean UNT isn't still trying.

But, you do realize we have a HC very leery of playing P5's at Apogee. He prefers OCC home games he feels UNT has a better than equal chance to win, and so do I for that matter protecting the home turf and building wins at home is very important to our HC.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

So...

Why don't you just email him and ask him about it?