Future OOC

DeepGreen

I hate to get NT90 riled up, but these are our OOC schedules. Where did Liberty come from? Abilene Christian?

• 09/09 - at SMU
  • 09/16 - at Iowa
  • 11/18 - Army
  • TBA - Lamar

• 09/07 - at SMU
  • 09/14 - Army
  • TBA - Abilene Christian
Edited by DeepGreen

I'm pretty sure coaches all over the nation have their hands on their team's scheduling... Doesn't mean he's the boss.

Smart AD's know that unless the coach really stinks and has alienated fans, that the fans generally like the coach more than the AD. You try to keep them happy because someone is always wanting to interview a coach or big donors are spending time with them. Don't want them blaming you for the coach's shortcomings.

• Upvote 1

I know this is besides the point, but I think scheduling Army for a few years was a good idea. Sucks we can't see a big name opponent at Apogee. (Yes I know 90... RV....)

Sucks we were sold bigger names at Apogee when donating to the stadium fund only to have the promise broken.

Unless you consider Indiana a "big name."

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

UNT 90, help me out if you will. If one were to build a program, how do you balance a $ game with a big name for attendance, recruiting and program momentum? It seems it is the big names that are the money games? I am not refuting the point, just curious how an AD would do that.

UNT 90, help me out if you will. If one were to build a program, how do you balance a $ game with a big name for attendance, recruiting and program momentum? It seems it is the big names that are the money games? I am not refuting the point, just curious how an AD would do that.

Whore games at UNT are ALWAYS played on the road for that whore money.

Since we moved into Apogee, the most attractive home game has been Houston (not a P5).

Our AD recently stated publicly that he would rather always play P5s on the road for the whore money.

So, to answer your question, at UNT you don't have to worry about balancing anything, because we NEVER have a well known major conference home opponent.

Ever.

Be glad you made the proper choice in ADs some 12 years ago.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Whore games at UNT are ALWAYS played on the road for that whore money.

Since we moved into Apogee, the most attractive home game has been Houston (not a P5).

Our AD recently stated publicly that he would rather always play P5s on the road for the whore money.

So, to answer your question, at UNT you don't have to worry about balancing anything, because we NEVER have a well known major conference home opponent.

Ever.

Be glad you made the proper choice in ADs some 12 years ago.

You don't have a P5 pay you to play in your own house. If we were to schedule home-and-home with a P5 it would likely be a wash in terms of revenue (outside of whatever revenue we might make from our home game) as both teams tend to play the other team's travel expenses (250k - 350k).

Sucks we were sold bigger names at Apogee when donating to the stadium fund only to have the promise broken.

Unless you consider Indiana a "big name."

I have to agree. They said they were going to really improve the schedule with better facilities. It is better but Abilene Christian types? Come on. I'd rather try to get Tech, Baylor, or TCU type teams scheduled. It's better for recruiting and the fans. I still like the Army & SMU series though. However, 5 home games is pure sadness...
  • Upvote 2

Regarding how to win. It is funny you would ask that question, this season and being a UNT fan, because I see this years UTSA-UNT game as an indicator of progress this year for the changes being made this spring. Understand, I don't work for and I am not affiliated with the team other than purchasing tickets, so I could be WAY off, but this is how I see it. This is going to sound cliché, but I honestly think if your D line (or any teams) is strong enough to exploit the O line (very young and inexperienced), you can pressure Blake (RS Freshman) and stop the run and make it a very long day as I have less than no confidence in the receiving game (although our receivers coach returned from Houston after the purge there). I said receiving because I think the QB talent is going to be very good. UTSA O line was just brutal last season, so hard to watch. This year, most of the O line graduated (FCS level recruits) and being replaced by legit D1 talent. UTSA also brought in a big time O line coach, who stated there is work to be done. Refreshing assessment. My point here is, we have a tough OOC schedule with new scheme, new players and new position coach, so I don't know what that will look like, but I can guess. The game in Denton is late enough in the season for the new scheme and players to hopefully gel, and being a G5 opponent, I hope to get a real gauge on progress. My fear is we have A&M and Baylor scheduled in the near future. My question would be (with fear and trepidation), how good is your D line?

• Upvote 1

Unless you can get a 2 for 1, it's hard to get a big name to come to Denton. We are scheduling one game at home per year against the likes of Lamar, which is what Texas does against the likes of North Texas. In addition, we always will need to play at least one money game on the road for budget purposes.T.C.U.,Baylor, Kansas State,and Tech no longer have an interest in playing us in any sport, just like we no longer play UTA in men's basketball.I would consider Indiana a big name in that they are the only Big Ten school to play us in Denton.The rule of thumb used to be when scheduling OOC was that you played one you should beat, one you could beat, and one you might beat if the stars aligned. With all the money involved with college football today I don't know if that still holds true. What I find interesting is that while the A.D. schedules football, the head basketball coach schedules basketball, which in the last few years has been a joke.

• Upvote 1

Regarding how to win. It is funny you would ask that question, this season and being a UNT fan, because I see this years UTSA-UNT game as an indicator of progress this year for the changes being made this spring. Understand, I don't work for and I am not affiliated with the team other than purchasing tickets, so I could be WAY off, but this is how I see it. This is going to sound cliché, but I honestly think if your D line (or any teams) is strong enough to exploit the O line (very young and inexperienced), you can pressure Blake (RS Freshman) and stop the run and make it a very long day as I have less than no confidence in the receiving game (although our receivers coach returned from Houston after the purge there). I said receiving because I think the QB talent is going to be very good. UTSA O line was just brutal last season, so hard to watch. This year, most of the O line graduated (FCS level recruits) and being replaced by legit D1 talent. UTSA also brought in a big time O line coach, who stated there is work to be done. Refreshing assessment. My point here is, we have a tough OOC schedule with new scheme, new players and new position coach, so I don't know what that will look like, but I can guess. The game in Denton is late enough in the season for the new scheme and players to hopefully gel, and being a G5 opponent, I hope to get a real gauge on progress. My fear is we have A&M and Baylor scheduled in the near future. My question would be (with fear and trepidation), how good is your D line?

Apparently you haven't seen our schedule. I don't know that we will be able to beat McNeese St. In late November, 2015.

Take a look and you will understand.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We have a punchers chance to beat any one at home, any one. Problem is, is that our AD so miraculously managed to get us 5 games at home. Dan McCarney's road winning % at IASt and here has been possibly as bad as any tenured head coach in the country. So, I don't think the Mean Green are bad on the road, I think Dan McCarney is bad on the road. Our saving grace is hopefully history doesn't find away, yet again, to repeat itself.

So come the 2nd half of the season I am just hoping for good health for our team, but this being a pivotal season Mac might bench players for having hangnails during the second half of the schedule so he'll have something to point at and scream about so the burden won't be squarely on his back (like it would be anyway). **sigh**

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1