UNT Modern Offense?

UNTLifer

Jeff Wilson does not need to be a feature back in this blocking scheme. I think the guy has a big ceiling, but in the current scheme he will not last 6 games. Change the scheme to primarily zone blocking instead to get him out on the edge for him to manipulate the OL and it's a different story. Put him back there and have him run through designated, designed holes in a power GO blocking scheme and he'll get injured and it'll happen quick.

Ben G, we ran a zone blocking scheme most of the year. Besides, what is the basis for your opinion on Wilson?

We ran it out of shotgun. Macs bread n butter is under center and we pull and GO from under center often. And my basis is that people were talking about Wilson and I don't want one of the few bright spots on our O getting hurt bc of ignorance. That's why. What's your basis for sitting between my testicles staring up at my shaft on my every post. ;)

I too was a little let down by Pegram. Jimmerson seemed to step backwards too. I'm excited to see Wilson in a feature-back role this coming season. I think he's the real deal.

Agree with you on Wilson. Like to see him put on 10-15 pounds in offseason.

Tightend Marcus Smith....15 catches,...6 touchdowns.

Rick

I'm with you Rick, Marcus Smith is a freak athlete and is inexcusably underutilized. He needs to be a run after catch security blanket on every pass play. Screw routes, let him run 5 yards to sit and wait for the ball. Mix in other routes for good measure, but why he doesn't have 35+ catches is absolute BS. But then again I don't know anything about football. Do I need to go find a Dr or lawyer to critique instead?

Ben, I was just asking for you to clarify what you said. No need to be a complete ass, but you have proven that is your typical M.O. so I guess it just comes naturally.

The point of starting this thread was what I think has been discussed. We really don't run an antiquated system, we just have predictability in the play calling and haven't had the QB to really run the popular zone read system. Is that on Mac or Chico? I don't really know, but I like being able to establish the run. I think this was the goal last year, because our OL should have been the strength of the team. Oddly enough, the OL regressed and our QB play was never solidified, so the system never really took off.

I would prefer a balanced, pro-style offense as opposed to the Texas Tech "sling it around' system where we would throw the ball 20 to 30 times a game. You have to be able to control the clock, something that kills teams like Baylor, Oregon, Tech, etc... A strong running game, a passing game that utilizes the TE/H back over the middle to open up the outside for the WR's is preferable with a QB that has a quick enough release to make the right throw and read each play. Marcus Smith should be a pro prospect with his combination of size, speed and hands, so we have to take advantage of his skill set. This, along with a strong running game will do wonders for this offense. The other thing I do not like about these systems is that they cause the defense to suffer. I loved 2013 when our defense returned to the hard hitting, knock your teeth out style that NT has typically been known for in the past.

Anyway, I don't think our offense is out of date, we just haven't had the talent to fully run the system.

• Upvote 1