How does this Iowa coach keep his job?

Harry

All right Wardly except we averaged well over 21k in 2013. If we put together something respectable in terms of production they will come. And one year of a respectable product only dusts off the cobwebs. A winning season in 2015 is imperative. That would create consistency. Sandwiching 2 winning season in between a losing season is something I can live with and so could a TON of foregone alum. Create consistency and North Texas could be something special. This season, 2015, may be the most single important season in North Texas football history. Losing is not an option.

Rick, a lot of examples for 54 years. Love you, but surely you jest.No way Harbaugh wanted the job, and Leavitt had just been fired at USF for physically abusing players.Being a head coach at UNT is not as attractive an opportunity as we would like to think.Personally I would replace the head coaches of men' football and basketball which just reinforces my opinion that we are a coaching graveyard. I don't care about women's basketball and neither does anyone else. When you count your attendance in 100's from a 36,000 student base then you really have apathy.Regarding men's basketball, we only averaged 3,000+ when J.J, was winning, which doesn't make us much of a round ball hot bed.Our football team has not averaged 20,000+ in our new stadium, which is probably only a few thousand more that we averaged at Fouts. As I said, hiring a head coach for our major programs is not as easy as it would seem. However, having said that we certainly need to do a better job. On that point I think we can all agree.

If you don't believe the Harbaugh story then RV is a liar? He's told that to everyone who has ever talked to the man. And my contact with Leavitt must have been lying as well, and must do so every time I speak to him on the phone from time to time. In fact, there must be a whole lot of liars, including Dr. Rogers Redding, a one time head of the UNT physics department who headed the Dennis Parker selection committee, and shared the entire timeline of events with me when I gave him crap about his hiring Parker over Johnson.

Still, let's not get off track here. The claim was this is a coaching graveyard for coaches who move on from North Texas. Fry, Moore, Simon, Dickey, Several of Dickey's assistants, Jones, Aston and Dodge went on to coach again. So it's not a coaching grave yard. There's only 128 FBS jobs for 310,000,000 people to obtain. If there's an opening there will be quality coaches available to fill them. We've hired good ones before and can again.

Rick

If you don't believe the Harbaugh story then RV is a liar? He's told that to everyone who has ever talked to the man. And my contact with Leavitt must have been lying as well, and must do so every time I speak to him on the phone from time to time. In fact, there must be a whole lot of liars, including Dr. Rogers Redding, a one time head of the UNT physics department who headed the Dennis Parker selection committee, and shared the entire timeline of events with me when I gave him crap about his hiring Parker over Johnson.

Still, let's not get off track here. The claim was this is a coaching graveyard for coaches who move on from North Texas. Fry, Moore, Simon, Dickey, Several of Dickey's assistants, Jones, Aston and Dodge went on to coach again. So it's not a coaching grave yard. There's only 128 FBS jobs for 310,000,000 people to obtain. If there's an opening there will be quality coaches available to fill them. We've hired good ones before and can again.

Rick

Overall winning % under this AD....

Anything else said is gibberish.

If this AD were to be at a P5 he would have been ran out if town awhile back.

We have to treat our athletic programs as big time. If we don't then what the hell are we trying to do. This AD doesn't do his job big time so he needs to go. His hires have lost far more than they have won and at the end of the day that is the bottom line.

• Upvote 1

RV has done bad. Let's not sugarcoat or speculate his downfalls. He is well below .500 in just about everything. Winning talks, and the people he has put in place to do just that have not won. Johnny Jones may be the only exception. Dude is a dud and has got to go. I had to talk myself out of walking down there to him last night and giving his a piece of my mind, several times. He's no good and a direct reflection of that is our athletic programs, lack of marketing, ticket sales, attendance, MGC members, winning %, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. It's quite frankly a joke to defend him and his "progress." RV must go, he must.

Please go give him your "piece of mind"...I get so tired of people and their grand statements. Next time you see him, go rip him a new one.

Ridiculous

Edit: I am not weighing in on the whole RV debate w/ my post...referencing the hot air tough guy talk that wears me out

Edited by BIG DAWG
  • Upvote 3

Rick, I did not call you a liar. I am not talking about coaches who wanted to come here, and didn't get hired, nor assistant coaches who went on to be head coaches else where such as Snyder. I am ONLY referring to head men's football and basketball coaches we hired and fired since Coach Mitchell retired back in the day, and in the past 50 years of that number only 3 were not fired and moved on to a better job. This post has turned into a "fire both men's head coaches format" which only proves my point. Over and out.

• Upvote 1

Rick, I did not call you a liar. I am not talking about coaches who wanted to come here, and didn't get hired, nor assistant coaches who went on to be head coaches else where such as Snyder. I am ONLY referring to head men's football and basketball coaches we hired and fired since Coach Mitchell retired back in the day, and in the past 50 years of that number only 3 were not fired and moved on to a better job. This post has turned into a "fire both men's head coaches format" which only proves my point. Over and out.

So what you are really saying is we have a history of making terrible hires.

On this we agree.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1