UB defensive line coach Cosh " Crash" puts fun into fundamenta

Harry

University at Buffalo defensive line coach Chris Cosh is confident the Bulls defense is going to be all right, even though it has struggled over the first three weeks of the season.

Were going to be good, Cosh said as UB prepared for Saturdays game against Norfolk State. The kids are responding. As long as we keep working together and get better at the little things, we will be right on track.

The little things is a coaching platitude. Yet, in his 30-year coaching career, Cosh has seen it produce results too many times to doubt its importance.

Cosh, hired this year by UB coach Jeff Quinn, counts UBs venerable defensive coordinator Lou Tepper, Kansas State legend Bill Snyder and College Football Hall-of-Famer Lou Holtz among his coaching mentors.

Cosh earned the nickname Crash while playing linebacker for Tepper at Virginia Tech from 1978 to 81. (Tepper still calls him Crash on occasion.) Tepper helped talk Cosh into the coaching profession, then hired him for a five-year stint at Illinois in the 1990s, when Tepper was head coach of the Illini.

Honestly, hes like a second son to me, Tepper said. So personally, its such a joy to have him here. He adds so much to our game-planning, and I dont mean there arent others that do, too. But Chris has a rich background as a coordinator. He brings a lot.

Read more: http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/ub-football/ub-defensive-line-coach-cosh-puts-fun-into-fundamentals-20140918

Are they actually called University "at" Buffalo and not "of," or is that a typo?

New York State has one College & University system, and every school officially named "The State University of New York at...". Probably because NYU, it isn't UNY, it's SUNY. Awkward. It's been that way since at least the 1960s. So the official name is "State University of New York at Buffalo". They finally came up with "University at Buffalo" to shorten it. It works, I guess. For other than sports, you'll probably see SUNY Buffalo.

Stony Brook is another SUNY university. There are two others, Albany and Binghamton, and I don't know what NCAA level those are, but they aren't Div I. I'll never understand why they decided to have 4 equal universities, and not make one (Albany?) the flagship school. Too late to ask Nelson Rockefeller, or Robert Moses.

Worse yet, naming-wise, are all the smaller colleges in the system, whose names are officially "State University of New York College at...", such as "State University of New York College at Fredonia" (yes, there is such a place, just outside of Buffalo).

Yeah, I know where Fredonia is, I grew up near there (Grand Island, Niagara Falls, etc.) before moving near Philly. I think I always just saw the "SUNY-Buffalo," "SUNY-Stony Brook," etc. without seeing the full name in print.

• Upvote 1