Post Game from Rice perspective

owl40

Some thoughts from being at the game today from a Rice perspective....I know many here are frustrated with the NT play but alot of this was timing of getting Rice. If you would have played us in week three when we lost to ODU and had seven starters out, the game today would have been an easy W for Mean Green as you are much better than ODU. With our NFL guys (Covington and Taylor) finally healthy plus a couple others...the team is coming together and Rice has really improved last few weeks and is now hitting stride. Consistent theme for Rice....awful in August/September and then improve in mid-October. In 2H, we have now outscoured opponents 86-21 in last four games. We are finally healthy, no turnovers, etc. and it is making a difference. We have to take care of business the next couple weeks but look forward to getting a shot at Marshall in a few weeks.

Today, our OC had his best game calling plays. We are usually critical of him but he had great balance today even though our execution was not great at all times. Due to having Covington back, our LB's are now playing much better and have played solid run D over past few weeks. I do think forcing McNulty to throw was a difference maker.

We are not a great football team by farthest imagination but I do think Rice will end-up being a top-50 team when it is all said and done. You should be able to beat the rest of teams on your schedule.

Our kryptonite is a good QB who can make accurate throws or extend plays. We get exposed quickly. Clearly that is position where you are struggling. You had open guys running around our weak secondary and McNulty either did not have the time, was just focused on throwing to Harris, or did not see the open guys. Was surprised after the pick-six to not see a change. However, I did not see the NT team quit in the 2H. They were still playing hard. What I saw is that you are missing the weapons (other than Harris) and quality OL that you had last year. I do think if the effort stays and team does not fold the tents that you should be able to win the remaining games on your schedule. I do think you have a great coach. Team plays for him and kids are decent on fundamentals. Good luck from here on out.

• Upvote 7

Were not empty complements. Were genuine. I think UNT is better than the rest of teams on your schedule. Question is whether kids believe that and fight or do they quit. I'm just saying that so much of college football is when you catch a certain team with positive/negative momentum. It is a very different Rice team than was playing in early September. You caught Rice when they were healthy, off a bye-week, have put the pieces together, and not to mention impact of road team on an early kick. We may have been 20 points better today but don't think we are a 20-point better team just like we outgained A&M in total offense but still lost by 20+ to them. I think if we played them today we could be very, very close. We lost by 3 to ODU. Same game would have been double-digit loss to Mean Green on that day.

On related note, I do think given we beat Marshall last year in championship game and they may have peaked already..that getting them in a few weeks might also be a lucky break for us. I think our chances in three weeks are much greater than if we played them three weeks ago. Timing in college football really matters. LSU and Ole Miss just showed that as well.

• Upvote 1

Appreciate the comments owl40. It seems as though the opposition sees the same thing as many UNT fans.

I pretty much agree with your entire post. Take away the first couple of minutes of the 2nd half and today would have been a different game. Only problem for us is that it's becoming a common theme to give up points in bunches off of turnovers. Our defense has been far from great, but fumbling a kickoff and then giving up a pick six is tough on any D.

• Upvote 1

Were not empty complements. Were genuine. I think UNT is better than the rest of teams on your schedule. Question is whether kids believe that and fight or do they quit. I'm just saying that so much of college football is when you catch a certain team with positive/negative momentum. It is a very different Rice team than was playing in early September. You caught Rice when they were healthy, off a bye-week, have put the pieces together, and not to mention impact of road team on an early kick. We may have been 20 points better today but don't think we are a 20-point better team just like we outgained A&M in total offense but still lost by 20+ to them. I think if we played them today we could be very, very close. We lost by 3 to ODU. Same game would have been double-digit loss to Mean Green on that day.

On related note, I do think given we beat Marshall last year in championship game and they may have peaked already..that getting them in a few weeks might also be a lucky break for us. I think our chances in three weeks are much greater than if we played them three weeks ago. Timing in college football really matters. LSU and Ole Miss just showed that as well.

I posted on here earlier this year that Rice and UTSA were in danger of giving in to terrible starts. Losing begets losing, and my post was that it would be interesting to see if Rice and UTSA could get it back together or if they would have disappointing years.

Looks like Rice manned up. Congrats on pulling it back together.

Looks like craphole will give in to losing. That makes me very happy.

• Upvote 1