"Save Sack and Save, Tear Down Fouts"

James329

Big Mike's was the location of Marvin Loveless Studios for decades. There were apartments above Loveless Studios as well as a few converted into small offices. Mr. Loveless was a photographer and did a zillion Denton school photos. During his time there, he bought a good bit of property on Hickory and Fry. There were some frat houses eastward on Hickory including the Geezle House. There was also a house on the corner of Hickory @ Welch for a time.

I love to visit about what used to be around the NT campus. How about Griff's hamburgers where Jack in the Box is now. Or the Burger King where the Art Building is now. I even remember when the fire station on Ave. B was up and running.

Beat UAB

GO MEAN GREEN

Back when G-Bat had first been hired as President, and she was doing her squeezing disconnected alums for money tour, I went to the one in Houston to cover it for the NT Daily. I got to meet Charles Onstead, the guy who donated all the money to renovate the library mall. The fountain is named after his wife. He had started as a student right before WW II and after serving he returned to school to finish his degree.

Anyway, he was telling the reporter and I about what it was like living in Chilton Hall back in the late 40s, working the switchboard as an operator at the front desk. He told us that his first apartment off campus was at the Alton House apartments on W Hickory. I had no idea they were that old.

And does anyone know what the deal with the two houses that used to be in the middle of campus on Mulberry St. right across from where the Environmental Science building now stands? They were a pair of two of three story houses that looked run down as hell and were bulldozed sometime between 2003 and 2005 I think... In the grove of trees across from College Inn. I know there was nobody living there when I was a freshman in 2003.

Before I was a student at UNT, when UNT was a customer of mine, NY Subs was THE go to food I'd cater in for teacher training.

Being the old guy that I am now There are just a few places you can step into that are still the same as when I was a young student on campus and NYS is one of them. Plus it is a great sub - #3 boiled ham and cheese is still my favorite and the Dr. Pepper with crushed ice of course.

Aldi's would actually be a great ad for campus. Shitty beer selection though. Only three kinds and never refrigerated. I'm gonna guess at their prices, the students wouldn't care.

You apparently don't remember college. Natty light may not be a beer snobs choice, but it gets the job done. Edited by UNT90

You apparently don't remember college. Natty light may not be a beer snobs choice, but it gets the job done.

What I meant is that the beer is super cheap at Aldi's so students won't care what it is or that it's not refrigerated. Very similar to what Trader Joe's was when I was in college. At the time, TJ's beer was cheaper than Natty Lights, so we bought and drank a whole bunch of it. That is not to say that many thousands of Natty Lights didn't valiantly lay down their aluminum lives in our lascivious pursuits. We bought one hell of a kickass grill with the money we got from recycling Natty Light cans.

• Upvote 2

There comes a point seemingly in every UNT student's life where they think they really attend Evergreen State College:

http://www.evergreen.edu/catalog/2014-15/index.htm?compare=10815|10792|10520|10816|12102|10982

And yes according to the Master Plan proposed buildings map, my beloved Sub Hub and cheap-ass Chinese food on Ave C is gonna go away too. Which makes me sad.

NOT REALLY! At least, if the stated intentions made last year stand.

I served on the Sustainability committee portion of the Master Planning last year and there were portions where we could ask about and offer input on anything.

We talked a lot about the redevelopment of South Ave C and this was how it was described then:

On the whole, UNT does not want to kick out the businesses that exist there. They just want to revitalize the area and redo structures to better align with and become a better looking "gateway" into the university. Essentially, when the lots become available, they will snatch them up, let the current businesses know of their intent from the get-go, and then offer those existing establishments first priority options on being put back in once a new structure is in place.

Think very much akin to the situation that Shift Coffee was put in this year with that apartment redev from which they just reopened. It's exactly like that.

• Upvote 1

On the whole, UNT does not want to kick out the businesses that exist there. They just want to revitalize the area and redo structures to better align with and become a better looking "gateway" into the university. Essentially, when the lots become available, they will snatch them up, let the current businesses know of their intent from the get-go, and then offer those existing establishments first priority options on being put back in once a new structure is in place.

I have no substantiation to point a finger at UNT for what I'm about to say. Maybe UNT is truly benevolent. But I have never, in my life, seen someone come in and redevelop a dilapidated property, then NOT try to triple the rent on the existing tenants. UNT needs high end nail salons and coffee bars! We don't need no stinking Lo Mein!

• Upvote 1

There comes a point seemingly in every UNT student's life where they think they really attend Evergreen State College:

http://www.evergreen.edu/catalog/2014-15/index.htm?compare=10815|10792|10520|10816|12102|10982

Really? This is a college course? I knew a couple that had attended Evergreen State while in Korea. They used to go to downtown Pusan and stand on upturned milk crates, preaching, loudly, in English, to Koreans, that eating meat was evil.

Operating Manual for Spaceship Earth
Karen Gaul, Evan Blackwell and Anthony Tindill

Delta Lodge?

If you're referring to the nasty old buildings, no, I think they were normal residences. I used to walk past them coming back from the Art building on the way to West and College Inn when I lived out there. There were rotting boards, weeds, unused vehicles and lawnmowers, etc.

• 4 months later...

I oppose the seizure of private property from corporations or citizens for government use. Period. I'm very black and white on eminent domain. Sorry, even if it is something we agree with. I love the person talking about "free market" and using it as a reason to allow the GOVERNMENT to seize private property. Greatness.

Edited by yyz28
  • Upvote 2

NOT REALLY! At least, if the stated intentions made last year stand.

I served on the Sustainability committee portion of the Master Planning last year and there were portions where we could ask about and offer input on anything.

We talked a lot about the redevelopment of South Ave C and this was how it was described then:

Think very much akin to the situation that Shift Coffee was put in this year with that apartment redev from which they just reopened. It's exactly like that.

And Shift is doing better, I think. Better location that suits their image far better than the old one.

• Upvote 1

I oppose the seizure of private property from corporations or citizens for government use. Period. I'm very black and white on eminent domain. Sorry, even if it is something we agree with. I love the person talking about "free market" and using it as a reason to allow the GOVERNMENT to seize private property. Greatness.

The I35E expansion would never happen without eminent domain.

/sad panda face

• Upvote 2