Home game tailgating help

Snowy

Hi everyone,

I ran a student organization when I was an undergrad and now that I've graduated, we're having an "alumni and friends (for the organization)" tailgate every home game. I never tailgated when I was an undergrad, so I'm a big new to the scene. I've seen people tailgate in Fouts, the Hill, and the gameday lot by Victory/southeast of Apogee. If you all don't mind helping me out with some of my noobie questions... 

• Where is the best area to tailgate? 
  • How does tailgating in the Fouts lot work? (ie do you have to pick a spot next to grass or can you take up/pay for two parking spaces?) 
  • Are propane grills allowed? 
  • How is alcohol treated? 
  • Do you pack everything up before the game? Or is it safe to leave your canopy tent, grill, etc. out? 
  • When do you start tailgating, when do you end? 
  • Any general tips? We're expecting a decent amount of people for the tailgate (25+ hopefully).

Thanks everyone! 

• Upvote 1

RESPONSES IN BOLD

Hi everyone,

I ran a student organization when I was an undergrad and now that I've graduated, we're having an "alumni and friends (for the organization)" tailgate every home game. I never tailgated when I was an undergrad, so I'm a big new to the scene. I've seen people tailgate in Fouts, the Hill, and the gameday lot by Victory/southeast of Apogee. If you all don't mind helping me out with some of my noobie questions... Thank you for your UNT involvement and support both during and after college!

• Where is the best area to tailgate?  That's a tough question and depending on who you ask you might get a different answer.  We like being near the Victory lot near the stadium so we have a good view of the Hill and the Mean Green Team walk.  But I know many who have a blast on the Fouts lot so it really depends.
  • How does tailgating in the Fouts lot work? (ie do you have to pick a spot next to grass or can you take up/pay for two parking spaces?) It really depends on where your parking pass is and how early you arrive as it is a 1st come 1st serve in most all of the lots.  Getting a spot by the grass is great but those go fairly fast.
  • Are propane grills allowed? I am pretty sure -- I have seen plenty of them.
  • How is alcohol treated? No glass but other than that anything is fair game.
  • Do you pack everything up before the game? Or is it safe to leave your canopy tent, grill, etc. out? we have had some reports of stolen coolers and flags unfortunately.  We usually have someone willing to stay with the tailgate but I would be careful of anything valuable.
  • When do you start tailgating, when do you end? Some of our group is hardcore and will arrive as early as 8-9 in the morning to assure a good spot for a 6pm game.
  • Any general tips? We're expecting a decent amount of people for the tailgate (25+ hopefully). Tents help a lot with the sun and chairs.  A TV with a satellite setup is always nice for a good group is you get there early and even after the games.  That's about it -- tailgating is awesome and for many it is even more fun than the games. 

Thanks everyone! 

RESPONSES IN BOLD

Hi everyone,

I ran a student organization when I was an undergrad and now that I've graduated, we're having an "alumni and friends (for the organization)" tailgate every home game. I never tailgated when I was an undergrad, so I'm a big new to the scene. I've seen people tailgate in Fouts, the Hill, and the gameday lot by Victory/southeast of Apogee. If you all don't mind helping me out with some of my noobie questions... Thank you for your UNT involvement and support both during and after college!

• Where is the best area to tailgate?  That's a tough question and depending on who you ask you might get a different answer.  We like being near the Victory lot near the stadium so we have a good view of the Hill and the Mean Green Team walk.  But I know many who have a blast on the Fouts lot so it really depends.
  • How does tailgating in the Fouts lot work? (ie do you have to pick a spot next to grass or can you take up/pay for two parking spaces?) It really depends on where your parking pass is and how early you arrive as it is a 1st come 1st serve in most all of the lots.  Getting a spot by the grass is great but those go fairly fast.
  • Are propane grills allowed? I am pretty sure -- I have seen plenty of them.
  • How is alcohol treated? No glass but other than that anything is fair game.
  • Do you pack everything up before the game? Or is it safe to leave your canopy tent, grill, etc. out? we have had some reports of stolen coolers and flags unfortunately.  We usually have someone willing to stay with the tailgate but I would be careful of anything valuable.
  • When do you start tailgating, when do you end? Some of our group is hardcore and will arrive as early as 8-9 in the morning to assure a good spot for a 6pm game.
  • Any general tips? We're expecting a decent amount of people for the tailgate (25+ hopefully). Tents help a lot with the sun and chairs.  A TV with a satellite setup is always nice for a good group is you get there early and even after the games.  That's about it -- tailgating is awesome and for many it is even more fun than the games. 

Thanks everyone! 

On propane grills -- yes.  charcoal -- yes.  5 story high bonfires made of pallets, asbestos, and the remains of Craig James' hookers -- probably.

On alcohol -- Technically no glass.  Never seen that enforced.  Ever.  I have, however, seen UNT Police checking ID of younger looking drinkers.  Have also seen the no keg rule enforced. Bring koozies because your beer will otherwise get hot really fast.  It also makes any "prohibited" glass containers a little more discreet.

On packing up -- Unless you've got a patsy willing to sit out by the tailgate alone during the game, get everything packed up.  Stuff does get stolen.  Judging by the stuff that usually gets taken such as flags and beer, I'd chalk it up to drunken student mischief.  Nonetheless, pack up your stuff.

On when to start -- The earlier you arrive, the better your spot.  @emmitt01 is the gold standard, arriving on Friday afternoon.  If you want your pick of spots for a 6pm kickoff, show up before 11.  If I recall, you can even come drop your stuff off on the hill without a parking pass before 11am on a 6pm kickoff game day.  

On where to tailgate -- In regards to first come first serve, I would, however consider that while nobody owns any particular piece of real estate when it comes to tailgating, we are in year 5 of Apogee.  There are a lot of premier spots that I know of that are firmly occupied by the same people game after game, year after year.  Take care not to step on those toes.

On General tips -- Stay hydrated.  Bring tents for shade.  Use sunscreen.  Wear sunglasses because of passing coeds.  When you need to use the restroom, use those in Apogee just left of the main entrance.  No porta potties.  Real ceramic fixtures with actual sinks.  Always, always, go taste Tony's balls.  Tony's balls are the best balls I've ever eaten.  Not too salty, not to hot, not to big.  Everything about Tony's balls is juuuuust right.

• Upvote 4

On General tips -- Stay hydrated.  Bring tents for shade.  Use sunscreen.  Wear sunglasses because of passing coeds.  When you need to use the restroom, use those in Apogee just left of the main entrance.  No porta potties.  Real ceramic fixtures with actual sinks.  Always, always, go taste Tony's balls.  Tony's balls are the best balls I've ever eaten.  Not too salty, not to hot, not to big.  Everything about Tony's balls is juuuuust right.

tumblr_ngssl4Doox1r9a32bo1_1280.jpg

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 3