MGN: Billy & Greg's Double-Eagle Bracket Coverage

Mean_Green09

In this first edition I tackle five good topics with GMG.com’s Recruiting Analyst BillySee58.

Offensively how did you like our game plan to attack the UT defense? Did you feel like we did good job setting things up and just poorly executing or was it a combination of both?

BillySee58: Because of the frequent three-and-outs and short drives, as well as the blitzes and pressure that never allowed the passing plays to develop, it was hard to truly get a good read on what we were trying to do offensively. It did look like we were going to try and exploit their inexperienced safeties and big linebackers over the middle in the passing game. Marcus Smith appeared to be open early on but the throws missed high. When you miss high over the middle you’re asking to get picked, and that’s what happened on the second throw.

Read More: MGN: Billy & Greg's Double-Eagle Bracket Coverage

Again I want to thank BillySee58 and his great insight. Every week Billy and I are going to go in depth into a few or maybe just one topic. We look forward to putting these together for y’all.

• Upvote 5

In this first edition I tackle five good topics with GMG.com’s Recruiting Analyst BillySee58.

Offensively how did you like our game plan to attack the UT defense? Did you feel like we did good job setting things up and just poorly executing or was it a combination of both?

BillySee58: Because of the frequent three-and-outs and short drives, as well as the blitzes and pressure that never allowed the passing plays to develop, it was hard to truly get a good read on what we were trying to do offensively. It did look like we were going to try and exploit their inexperienced safeties and big linebackers over the middle in the passing game. Marcus Smith appeared to be open early on but the throws missed high. When you miss high over the middle you’re asking to get picked, and that’s what happened on the second throw.

Read More: MGN: Billy & Greg's Double-Eagle Bracket Coverage

Again I want to thank BillySee58 and his great insight. Every week Billy and I are going to go in depth into a few or maybe just one topic. We look forward to putting these together for y’all.

Is this like when Planck & Einstein got together to discuss Physics?

Thanks Greg and everyone else. Fun stuff.

Good stuff. I didn't quite realize we might only have 4 spots left in our upcoming recruiting class. That's scary.

Thanks.

Someone might be able to help me out on this, but has Eric Keena been here since 2012? I know he was here last year and didn't play, but if he was also here in 2012 then he would not count towards our class. The rest I'm fairly confident will count. Banogu is the only other one I'm thinking may have been here in 2012, but I don't think he got here until after the season was over. Never got official word on whether or not Sam Rice came in on scholarship or walked on, but he likely came in on scharship.
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Greg and everyone else. Fun stuff.

Someone might be able to help me out on this, but has Eric Keena been here since 2012? I know he was here last year and didn't play, but if he was also here in 2012 then he would not count towards our class. The rest I'm fairly confident will count. Banogu is the only other one I'm thinking may have been here in 2012, but I don't think he got here until after the season was over. Never got official word on whether or not Sam Rice came in on scholarship or walked on, but he likely came in on scharship.

So even is Wade has no eligibility after this year giving him a scholly takes one away from next year?

I disagree that Greer and McNulty "have earned another shot." They have earned nothing. In fact, one could argue they earned benching.

I kind of doubt Wade counts in the 2015 class.

Certainly by their play on the field against Texas, can't argue that. But through the coaches eye, just based on how they talk about Greer and Mcnulty, I think they've earned another shot with the coaches. Whether they truly earned it or are going to do anything of value with it, I would be shocked if the coaches don't give them another chance. At least Greer.

As for Wade, he only played for us one season (2013) as a walkon before being put on scholarship. So he has to count as an "initial counter" in one of our recruiting classes. Can't back-count him into 2014, since that class filled up to 25 with Dash and Denucci, so he'd have to be apart of the 2015. Unless there's some exception for players not put on scholarship until their senior year, but not to my knowledge.

Edited by BillySee58

http://www.holyturf.com/2011/08/why-walk-ons-earn-a-scholarship/

"First, teams get a total of 85 scholarships each year and only 25 initial counters, which is the term used for players new to the program. The NCAA actually calls a scholarship a full grant-in-aid as defined in bylaw 15.02.5. A full grant-in-aid is financial aid that consists of tuition, fees, room and board, and required course-related books. Initial counters are freshmen and transfers on scholarship. If a school gives a walk-on a scholarship during his first two seasons, he is considered an initial counter and must be counted toward the 25 limit and the 85 limit."

This article is from prior to the 2011 season, when the 25 max scholarships per class rule was about to go into effect in the SEC (signing day 2012 class) and when the rest of the NCAA knew they would have to do it for the next year's recruiting class (signing day 2013 class).

Edited by BillySee58

Certainly by their play on the field against Texas, can't argue that. But through the coaches eye, just based on how they talk about Greer and Mcnulty, I think they've earned another shot with the coaches. Whether they truly earned it or are going to do anything of value with it, I would be shocked if the coaches don't give them another chance. At least Greer.

As for Wade, he only played for us one season (2013) as a walkon before being put on scholarship. So he has to count as an "initial counter" in one of our recruiting classes. Can't back-count him into 2014, since that class filled up to 25 with Dash and Denucci, so he'd have to be apart of the 2015. Unless there's some exception for players not put on scholarship until their senior year, but not to my knowledge.

Even if we don't have Denucci anymore?

Even if we don't have Denucci anymore?

As far as I know. And Fonzale Davis. Denucci was here and did practice (even if for just 1 practice). Don't think you can exclude a guy from your recruiting class just because they quit mid-way through the season. Or at the very beginning.

2013 signee OL Cody Nelson quit during last season but we didn't get to backcount and use his spot. So I think it's the same for Denucci. Davis I'm not sure since he never actually made it. We did sign him, and I'm pretty sure it's just 25 signees. Not enrollees.

• Upvote 1