MGB: UNT press conference notes

Brett Vito

I'm going to call it like this...

Depth chart stays the same.

Our QBs had a bad and unacceptable day against a FAAAARRR better defense and a crowd of 100,000 people.

Greer won't play like that against SMU. Not unless his confidence was so throttled that he can't come back from it. I hope for all of our sakes that he can.

Yes, it will be greer, handing off on 1st and 2nd and trying to sneak in a throw for 3rd. He'll do better this time and we will give him another chance for another game. We'll stay mediocre in an attempt to save the redshirt of means. The SYSTEM needs to change and I'm not sure if Canales or Mac is so stuck on it but I'll tell you this....everyone knows our system. Run, run, maybe throw. We'll see. Let's hope for big changes come smu.

Yes, it will be greer, handing off on 1st and 2nd and trying to sneak in a throw for 3rd. He'll do better this time and we will give him another chance for another game. We'll stay mediocre in an attempt to save the redshirt of means. The SYSTEM needs to change and I'm not sure if Canales or Mac is so stuck on it but I'll tell you this....everyone knows our system. Run, run, maybe throw. We'll see. Let's hope for big changes come smu.

We did throw the first play of the Texas game.

• Upvote 2

North Texas fans had high hopes of a upset of Texas, based on last years performance influencing

the new 2014 squad, North Texas has new talented players, some experience players, and a great

coaching staff to support the team. Only thing blocking success at Texas was this.

North Texas ran into a far superior team, with great athletes, big fast players, that dominated

the North Texas team in every aspect of the game..

Our quarterbacks never had any chance of success, with the Texas defensive pressure coming at them.

Our OL was not giving our QB's protection, while the Texas LB's and secondary had our receivers

covered up. The games are won or lost in the trenches.

So do not put the blame on the QB's. I watch the OL and the DL during a game. Our OL and DL

could not do anything to stop Texas. Our star linemen were not a factor in this game.

Now, we have $MU. $MU is not Texas. Our OL and DL will have success against the phonies.

I believe Greer will start this game. I believe Greer will show us that he is the best QB available.

I am sorry to say this, DW will never see the field this year. Not even in a mop up roll.

Yes I would like to see if he is the star many fans say he is. Put him in coach.

I think DW has burnt too many bridges with the staff, to be put into a game.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

The thing about our offensive system is that it's good when the team can push the other team's defense around (I mean really, which offensive system isn't, right?).

It's made to control the clock and beat down a defense until it's just wet paper by the middle of the 3rd quarter. The offense is made so that the running game sets up quick, short-to-medium range passes that keep defenses guessing while wearing them down.

The thing is that the coaches didn't seem to have a backup plan in there for when punching the other team in the teeth doesn't work - screens, misdirections, and OL schemes that help make defenders miss assignments so a running lane opens or maybe a receiver gets free.

I mean, maybe all of that wouldn't have made a difference - it's not like UT suddenly loss all of its talent between this season and last season. And clearly, what Coach Strong did at Louisville is already in place at UT (which, even not as a UT fan, I like to see this sort of thing happen).

That said - holy hell, our defense, man. In bad field position, despite turnovers, and having to play what was probably 50 minutes of a 60 minute game, they didn't really ever cave. They brought their lunchpail to work and kept hitting UT until the last whistle. Don't get me wrong, they missed assignments, made the wrong decisions here and there, but I'd expect some of that given their situation. I do think that if the offense didn't make so many turnovers and even scored, our team would be within 14, maybe even win at UT.

And not to be forgotten - the special teams were on point, too. No mistakes, good punts and kicks with good coverage. A few good returns came out of their work, too.

Edited by meangreendork
  • Upvote 1

Tried to compile that argument and got an error. Please debug.

Exception in thread "commonSense" java.lang.IllogicalException
at dammit.watch.thegame.Throws.rightTo(Hicks.inQuarter:1)
at QBs.MoveTheBall.WhenLineisBad.Point.remains(Greer.yards:8)
atQBs.MoveTheBall.WhenLineisBad.Point.remains(McNulty.yards:7)

North Texas fans had high hopes of a upset of Texas, based on last years performance influencing

the new 2014 squad, North Texas has new talented players, some experience players, and a great

coaching staff to support the team. Only thing blocking success at Texas was this.

North Texas ran into a far superior team, with great athletes, big fast players, that dominated

Our quarterbacks never had any chance of success, with the Texas defensive pressure coming at them.

Our OL was not giving our QB's protection, while the Texas LB's and secondary had our receivers

So do not put the blame on the QB's. I watch the OL and the DL during a game. Our OL and DL

could not do anything to stop Texas. Our star linemen were not a factor in this game.

Now, we have $MU. $MU is not Texas. Our OL and DL will have success against the phonies.

I believe Greer will start this game. I believe Greer will show us that he is the best QB available.

I am sorry to say this, DW will never see the field this year. Not even in a mop up roll.

Yes I would like to see if he is the star many fans say he is. Put him in coach.

• Upvote 3

I think we're okay Saturday unless SMU hires Charlie Strong during the week, and all of the Texas players transfer to SMU during the week as well. I know the Criminal 5 can do what they want now. But, the logistics for that scenario don't work well.

My guess, then, is that we'll be playing SMU, whose coaching and defense are less than - not greater than or equal to - what Texas currently has. Therefore, I won't panic unless SMU's defense holds us to 94 yards.

• Upvote 1