Mutha-scratchin' Schedule Nerds

Look at other schools' OOCs and tell me who you think we should be trying to get. And, be realistic. Some of you and this A&M thing, when they are already going to be in the Metroplex 12 times of the next 11 seasons, need to grab reality's long and handy reigns.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/ncaa-football-schedules.php

Also, the reality is, most schools are working on 2018 and beyond because they are filled up until then. Okay?

In March, I did this with 2018 as the realistic beginning point and came up with my favorite list of future opponents who:
(1) had 2018 and beyond OOC spots open,
(2) weren't already scheduled to play in the DFW area,
(3) had a history of traveling across time zones for OOC games, and
(4) had a history of schedule non-Criminal 5 conference schools

My list, then, contained:
Northern Illinois
San Diego State
Wake Forest
Syracuse
North Carolina State
Pittsburgh
Virginia
Kent State / Miami (OH) / or Toledo
Washington State
Colorado
Texas State or New Mexico State
Kentucky
San Jose State

So, I tried to be realistic. Please, (please), do not give me a list that says Notre Dame, Southern Cal, Oklahoma, and the like. Okay? Be realistic. I think my list four point list gets you into the realm of scheduling reality.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Look at other schools' OOCs and tell me who you think we should be trying to get. And, be realistic. Some of you and this A&M thing, when they are already going to be in the Metroplex 12 times of the next 11 seasons, need to grab reality's long and handy reigns.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/ncaa-football-schedules.php

Also, the reality is, most schools are working on 2018 and beyond because they are filled up until then. Okay?

In March, I did this with 2018 as the realistic beginning point and came up with my favorite list of future opponents who:

(1) had 2018 and beyond OOC spots open,

(2) weren't already scheduled to play in the DFW area,

(3) had a history of traveling across time zones for OOC games, and

(4) had a history of schedule non-Criminal 5 conference schools

My list, then, contained:

Northern Illinois

San Diego State

Wake Forest

Syracuse

North Carolina State

Pittsburgh

Virginia

Kent State / Miami (OH) / or Toledo

Washington State

Colorado

Texas State or New Mexico State

Kentucky

San Jose State

So, I tried to be realistic. Please, (please), do not give me a list that says Notre Dame, Southern Cal, Oklahoma, and the like. Okay? Be realistic. I think my list four point list gets you into the realm of scheduling reality.

You really don't get this. We don't have the scheduling flexibility to add a one and one till freaking 2018! Unless we can convince someone to come here on 2016 with a return for 2018.

Which would then cause us to again have to host the first game of another one and one starting in 2019.

AND WE HAVEN'T HAD THE FLEXIBILTY TO ADD A ONE AND ONE IN ANY OTHER YEARS FOR THE LAST 3 YEARS!

But your lord and savior went out and scheduled 2 money games with Iowa that further exasperated the problem.

UNT AD, safest job in America.

You really really really need to examine future schedules, past schedules, and what flexibility we have at this time.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 9

Oh, and we still need to add a home game in 2015 to get to 5 HOME GAMES. Don't count on a 1 and 1, as the earliest we could return the game would be 2018 (although not impossible with the standard 2nd tier teams that we schedule).

I see us buying a home game against another FCS terd, which is actually the best thing to do at this point to increase flexibility.

And then we will need another home game for 2016. Again, best case would be another bought FCS terd and then you would have great flexibility to work with.

That would be 5 bought home games to get out of a scheduling crap heap. At about an average of $275k a game?

But, ya, nothing to see here. Move along, folks.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

Somebody get to checking Mike's blood pressure.

Just laying out some facts. When I first looked at our future scheduling in early 2012 after finding out there would be only 5 home games in the second year of Apogee, my blood pressure actually dropped, as I went into shock after viewing the hole we had been scheduled into. An 8 year old could see the future problems. Literally.

Basic math ain't hard, folks.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Everyone is looking at 2018 and beyond right now. We are no different than anyone else in that regard. Look at the future schedules.

I'm not sure what it is you want? When we made those SMU and Army commitments, everyone wanted them AND we were in a different conference whose composition allowed us to have four non-conference games. Okay?

We got an invite to the C-USA, which kicked out one OOC a year due to its size. So, what can you do? Say no to going to the C-USA, which we all thought was a better deal, just to keep with four OOCs?

Come on, man. Rick is no different than many non-Criminal 5 ADs. He's having to work with constant conference shuffling as well. Do you think the day he agreed to join C-USA he forsaw it collapsing into Sun Belt II, then adding Old Dominion and Charlotte? I doubt it.

Your beef should kind of be with Banowsky as far as having only three OOCs now. He's the one who panicked and over-invited once the original C-USA members began to bolt.

You play with the hand you are dealt. Rick can fix 2015, as I've described in the other thread. He can ask Tennessee to move the game to another year. Or, McCarney can help with his Coach Fry connection and try to get the Iowa game moved from 2015 to 2019, 2021, or 2023.

It can be remedied.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Everyone is looking at 2018 and beyond right now. We are no different than anyone else in that regard. Look at the future schedules.

I'm not sure what it is you want? When we made those SMU and Army commitments, everyone wanted them AND we were in a different conference whose composition allowed us to have four non-conference games. Okay?

We got an invite to the C-USA, which kicked out one OOC a year due to its size. So, what can you do? Say no to going to the C-USA, which we all thought was a better deal, just to keep with four OOCs?

Come on, man. Rick is no different than many non-Criminal 5 ADs. He's having to work with constant conference shuffling as well. Do you think the day he agreed to join C-USA he forsaw it collapsing into Sun Belt II? I doubt it.

You play with the hand you are dealt. He can fix 2015, as I've described in the other thread. He can ask Tennessee to move the game to another year. Or, McCarney can help with his Coach Fry connection and try to get the Iowa game moved from 2015 to 2019, 2021, or 2023.

It can be remedied.

You are trolling me. Quit. You are not this dumb.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

AD needs to try to pull out of one of those 2015 money games. Preferably Tennessee. Also try to pull out of going to Gainesville in 2016. SOS being such a big issue with the new CFB playoff system those schools particularly Florida might not oppose to it.

So we're at Iowa and at Tennessee in 2015? I mean, I realize this isn't ideal for scheduling purposes (as I think we're also @SMU) but those are fun road games. Knoxville is a fine town. And I've always wanted to visit the U of Iowa (which I guess is strange).

Am I the only one that would gladly trade a home and home series with Army for the a long-term home and home series with Texas State (ideally alternating home/away with our UTSA home/away games)? Having SMU and Texas State on the schedule every year, along with UTSA and Rice, seems like a great way to remind the entire state we're here, while building lasting rivalries.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Considering DFW has more Kansas grads than any place in the country not named Kansas City I would think scheduling them would be a no brainer. (at least from a butts in seats argument.)

Agree on Kansas. One of my neighbors is a Jayhawk grad. They home and home Houston in 2019 and 2020. They also only have three OOCs. Their away to Houston is 2019: http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/big-12/kansas-jayhawks.php.

I'd ask them, then, to give us a 2020 home game, and we'll come up there in 2019 or 2021. It looks like a fit.

Only thing is, they are already in Fort Worth every other year in odd numbered years to play TCU in conference. Would they give us 2020, which would put them in DFW three consecutive seasons: 2019 at TCU, 2020 at UNT, and 2021 at TCU?

For the sake of their recruiting, I don't see why Kansas would be opposed.

Excellent thought, dude!

Am I the only one that would gladly trade a home and home series with Army for the a long-term home and home series with Texas State (ideally alternating home/away with our UTSA home/away games)? Having SMU and Texas State on the schedule every year, along with UTSA and Rice, seems like a great way to remind the entire state we're here, while building lasting rivalries.

Given that our conference - and, therefore, OOC options - have changed since the contract was signed, I'd try to talk them into cutting the contract from six games to four or two.

I'd hate to stick it to Army, though, given that they are not power guys, but an Independent which struggles to get decent games. Their future schedules are not great: http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/indep/army-black-knights.php

• Upvote 1

Given that our conference - and, therefore, OOC options - have changed since the contract was signed, I'd try to talk them into cutting the contract from six games to four or two.

I'd hate to stick it to Army, though, given that they are not power guys, but an Independent which struggles to get decent games. Their future schedules are not great: http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/indep/army-black-knights.php

Agreed. And I was one of the ones who was happy with the deal when it was put in place, for reasons you mentioned.

But I think we've got to find a way to get Texas State on the schedule in the future. We've played them more times, historically, than any other program. And it's one rivalry in which we actually hold a significant advantage in the all-time record. Hooray.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Come on, man. Rick is no different than many non-Criminal 5 ADs. He's having to work with constant conference shuffling as well. Do you think the day he agreed to join C-USA he forsaw it collapsing into Sun Belt II, then adding Old Dominion and Charlotte? I doubt it.

Your beef should kind of be with Banowsky as far as having only three OOCs now. He's the one who panicked and over-invited once the original C-USA members began to bolt.

You play with the hand you are dealt. Rick can fix 2015, as I've described in the other thread. He can ask Tennessee to move the game to another year. Or, McCarney can help with his Coach Fry connection and try to get the Iowa game moved from 2015 to 2019, 2021, or 2023.

It can be remedied.

Well, he obviously did not take the time to read your post. He's just itching to bitch, but has no solutions. Good Lord this poster. Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 5

Well, he obviously did not take the time to read your post. He's just itching to bitch, but has no solutions. Good Lord this poster.

Always there waiting, eh?

TFLF knows that Tennessee has been pushed backed multiple times already and cant be pushed back one year out. It's an excellent troll. Hats off, TFLF.

Lifer, keep on drinking that Kool Aid. Another JJ would be proud of you.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I think that's the first time in history anybody, anywhere has said "we have to play Texas State"

I don't think i meant that we "had" to in the sense that it is an imperative for the continued success of our program, just meant that it makes a lot of sense. Was pointing out that we have historically played them more than any other team. We lament a lack of rivalries. SMU has a rival in TCU and by conference default, UH. Rice has UH. MTSU has WKU. We have no sole rivalry we can point to.

We compete with Texas State for the same recruits. We are a similar institution. We just lost to an upstart-team in San Antonio. I'm not sure what delusional world our fans are living, with respects to UNT's place in the college football world. I don't think there's a thing wrong with playing a Sun Belt program in our non-conference schedule. Especially one in the Austin area.

Edited by Eagle1855
  • Upvote 2