What to do about P5 & NCAA

Wag Tag

To think that the NCAA and the P5 have all of college sports best interest is a JOKE!

It is time for the Mid Majors to get together and form a coalition. Playoffs is were the money is. Take C-USA, MWC,MAC and the American Conf. and set up a playoff system. With the outcome being a national champion.

No way can we be dependent upon the P5.

• Upvote 1

The FCS had maybe 16,000 to 18,000 at the Championship Game. UNT had 36,000 at HOD Bowl. Playoffs is a money maker for the FCS, it would be the same for the Go5.

It was just a hair under 20,000. Towson had maybe 1500 fans, so NDSU travelled about 18,000 on their own. If our bowl game had been an 18 hour drive away do you think we would travel even 18,000. You are comparing apples and oranges when our bowl game was directly in the middle of our largest alumni base.

• Upvote 1

It was just a hair under 20,000. Towson had maybe 1500 fans, so NDSU travelled about 18,000 on their own. If our bowl game had been an 18 hour drive away do you think we would travel even 18,000. You are comparing apples and oranges when our bowl game was directly in the middle of our largest alumni base.

NDSU is literally the only exception. Sam Houston state draws flies. Most of FCS does.

NDSU is literally the only exception. Sam Houston state draws flies. Most of FCS does.

I was just saying. You can't use a neutral site FCS championship game to somehow make our turnout at the HOD bowl more impressive. It was indeed impressive, but it's not comparable when we have well over 100,000 alumni living within 45 minutes of the cotton bowl.

Edit: and 36,000 students!

Edited by Mean Green Matt

I was just saying. You can't use a neutral site FCS championship game to somehow make our turnout at the HOD bowl more impressive. It was indeed impressive, but it's not comparable when we have well over 100,000 alumni living within 45 minutes of the cotton bowl.

Edit: and 36,000 students!

Agree, maybe half would show up for a playoff game or a National Championship. FCS does it and the P5 will do it because it makes big bucks! UNT VS Boise State in the G5 National Championship game! I would b there!

Edit: and 36,000 students.

But Mean Green Matt, it was one helluva' start for what we all want to happen for our school's support. It was the largest contingency of North Texas alums and Mean Green fans gathered in one place that most of us from any era ever witnessed.

I just hope the UNT Athletic Department added a whole bunch of new names and addresses to their mailing list and will go after that new group marketing-wise like a school of pirrahanas.

But Mean Green Matt, it was one helluva' start for what we all want to happen for our school's support. It was the largest contingency of North Texas alums and Mean Green fans gathered in one place that most of us from any era ever witnessed.

I just hope the UNT Athletic Department added a whole bunch of new names and addresses to their mailing list and will go after that new group marketing-wise like a school of pirrahanas.

I agree and said so in my prior post. We have no excuse not to have 30k+ at every home game.

Does anyone know what they have in mind? Doubtful. If this is only about stipends then certainly the majority, probably all, FBS institutions will support that legislation. If it concerns a playoff system exclusively for the Power5 conferences then I'd suspect that they would have a lawsuit on their hands. Ditto if they try to usurp more TV revenue unless they have a formula that is fair to all.

• Upvote 1

Does anyone know what they have in mind? Doubtful. If this is only about stipends then certainly the majority, probably all, FBS institutions will support that legislation. If it concerns a playoff system exclusively for the Power5 conferences then I'd suspect that they would have a lawsuit on their hands. Ditto if they try to usurp more TV revenue unless they have a formula that is fair to all.

To create any real advantage they would have to set the stipend limit so high the non power conference teams couldn't match it. They aren't considering only allowing the stipend for the power conference teams are they?

There are always 2 sides of the coin. We just aren't looking at it the way we could be, and this could work in our favor.

I would say agree to autonomy IF the P5 schools give the rest of us an option to move up if we want to. Set up some standards that have to be met including; stadium size, budget minimums (30 mil or so), stipend requirements, etc. In exchange we would be guaranteed a spot in a P5 league. Lets face it, we are already 2nd class citizens and this could be a huge way to level the playing field. The bottom teams that can't or don't want to move up will drop out and give us a huge recruiting boost. Even if we get somewhat less than the traditional powers just being in the club would be a huge step up.

Option 2 is if you don't agree to option 1 then break away completely and no more basketball tourney and other olympic sports. No more padding the schedule at the beginning of the year. We don't have much power as it is so we don't have much to lose anyway.

I would be happy with either of these two.

• Upvote 1

There are always 2 sides of the coin. We just aren't looking at it the way we could be, and this could work in our favor.

I would say agree to autonomy IF the P5 schools give the rest of us an option to move up if we want to. Set up some standards that have to be met including; stadium size, budget minimums (30 mil or so), stipend requirements, etc. In exchange we would be guaranteed a spot in a P5 league. Lets face it, we are already 2nd class citizens and this could be a huge way to level the playing field. The bottom teams that can't or don't want to move up will drop out and give us a huge recruiting boost. Even if we get somewhat less than the traditional powers just being in the club would be a huge step up.

Option 2 is if you don't agree to option 1 then break away completely and no more basketball tourney and other olympic sports. No more padding the schedule at the beginning of the year. We don't have much power as it is so we don't have much to lose anyway.

I would be happy with either of these two.

I like this. There has to be some standards set in order to allow other to become a part of the P5. Otherwise, see you later.

What I don't understand about the Big 12 - 2 is that to stay competitive with the SEC, ACC and others, shouldn't they have at least 16 teams? What six Universities would they invite? For starters, at least 2 teams? Just a thought!

If they invite 2, I'd bet one of them is BYU.