UNT ranked #33 in final CFN poll

RETSO

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1365290.html

Ranked ahead of Texas, Nebraska, Ole Miss to name a few .

33. North Texas (9-4)
2013 CFN Season Score: 14.52
2013 CFN Preview Preseason Ranking: 109
2012 CFN Season Ranking: 89

Very quietly, Dan McCarney came up with one of the best and most stunning years of anyone in college football, taking his program to Conference USA and leading it to a nine-win campaign and a Heart of Dallas Bowl win over UNLV. There might have been a slew of bad wins, and the 2-3 start was a bit rocky, but the Mean Green beat a ten-win Ball State team along the way and went on a run of five straight wins and closed out taking seven of the last eight. While there was a strange home loss to UTSA to break up the fun, UNT also took down eventual Conference USA champ Rice 28-16. The point differential turned out to be a big, big deal, beating everyone but Ball State by double digits.

• Upvote 5

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1365290.html

Ranked ahead of Texas, Nebraska, Ole Miss to name a few .

sports cry....

thank you for the post RETSO....I spent a little time searching the web...the week after the national championship game...looking for a North Texas ranking. I didn't find anything beyond the top 25....but #33...how cool is that!?!

go Mean Green...

I'm happy for the respect and the pub, but I'm just not sure we deserve to be this high.

Over half of our wins (5 out of 9) were against teams that almost account for

half of the bottom 10 (many bottom 5):

124. FIU

122. USM

120. Idaho

119. UTEP

114. LaTech

We certainly took care of business in these games and we had a couple of good wins

to go with the bowl victory, but I'll feel a lot better when we have this kind of season

against a stronger schedule.

No matter what, it feels really great to not be in that bottom 25 list!

Can't wait for next season to start!!!

Oh, and I really would have liked to have seen #57 (Michigan) in HoD.

Edited by meaniegreenie
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm happy for the respect and the pub, but I'm just not sure we deserve to be this high.

124. FIU

122. USM

120. Idaho

119. UTEP

114. LaTech

We certainly took care of business in these games and we had a couple of good wins

to go with the bowl victory, but I'll feel a lot better when we have this kind of season

We didn't play FIU

• Upvote 2

124. FIU

122. USM

120. Idaho

119. UTEP

114. LaTech

We played FIU? Interesting.

We had more solid wins than most mid majors and the Georgia win garnered us a lot of good will. I think it was well deserved.

(Ball, MTSU, Rice) and won every game by double digits. When we won, we dominated.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1

Hey... I believe it's as close to the top 25 as we have ever been. And we DID get some top 25 votes! I know everyone here believes in the Mean Green!! :)

Closest in a long time, but not ever. In 1977 we finished #16 in the Coaches Poll and had the votes for #25 in the AP poll, which only went to 20 back then.

The good news we are on our way back!

• Upvote 1

No offense, but how is an incorrect answer the "best answer"?

Because it didn't involve FIU? ;)

Seriously though I think the missing element in that list was Tulsa in place of FIU. Lots of payback this year, and a great first year in the conference, which I'm hoping is just an indication of how LOW we were as new members, meaning we'll be a lot higher in the future!

124. FIU

122. USM

120. Idaho

119. UTEP

114. LaTech

Actually, I think their formula for coming up with this really makes your point and other detractors' moot:

The Formula's Components:

1. Wins. - If you win, everything else falls into place. Each win counts as 1.

2. Quality Wins - The number of wins over teams that finished with a winning record. Each win counts as 1.

3. Elite Wins - The number of wins over teams that finished with two losses or fewer. Each win counts as 1 with a road win over an Elite team getting an extra 0.5. Also counting as 1 is a road win over a team that finished with three losses or fewer (but the extra 0.5 isn't added). A win over a team that finishes with three losses in a bowl game counts as one.

4. Bad Loss - The number of losses to teams that finished with three wins or fewer or a loss to a FCS (DI-AA) team. Each loss counts as minus-1. Take away an additional 0.5 for a Bad Loss at home.

5. Bad Win - The number of wins to teams that finished with three wins or fewer, or a win over a D-IAA team. Each win counts as minus 0.25.

6. Elite Loss - The number of losses to teams that finished with two losses or fewer. Each loss counts as 0.25.

7. Point Differential - Points for minus points against divided by 100.

8. Winning Percentage - To take losses into account, winning percentage is in the mix. Total wins is the tie-breaker followed by winning percentage.

Remember, these rankings are based on how good the seasons were overall, and NOT based on how good the team might have been.

That's a solid scoring formula if you ask me.

So our score is 9 + 4 + 1 - 4(0.25) + [(401-231)/100] = 14.7? It just says the point differential is PF-PA/100, so I assumed that number (1.7 in our case) was just added. Also interesting, we had over 400 points this season and won by an average of 2 TDs in all games, not just wins (per win PD was (338-114)/9, or 16.8. Also...I got a PD of 17 but ESPN says 14...it's late...might have missed something because other than what's on here I did the rest in my head so I might have looked at a stat wrong. The CFN page says 14.52 was our score so either way I'm looking at something wrong because that would be 14.4 if the PD is 14. They said win % is "in the mix" as a tiebreaker so I didn't include that. If the PD was to be used as a multiplier we would have 18.2 points. Maybe the way they use win % "in the mix" is the secret and it's not just as a tiebreaker...?

Also note if you look at the bottom 25, SMiss has a score of -2.98 yet is ranked lower than 4 teams with worse scores. What?

Edited by JesseMartin