The Stars are starting to climb the ladder

Dallas Morning News Headline on page 5C of sports section today...

"Stars Continue Slide To Oblivion".

So, tell me again why my post about the quick fall back was so incorrect and worthy of negativity. This is going to be a looooooooooong season for Stars fans, as they will most likely miss the playoffs...Again. Sad to see as the Stars are the home team, and even as I don't follow hockey closely, they are the home team and I love to see them be doing better.

But, Stars fan or not, this team is not getting it done.

Rudy, you keep blaming the players...since when, in your mind, are players responsible for anything? Odd.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Dallas Morning News Headline on page 5C of sports section today...

"Stars Continue Slide To Oblivion".

So, tell me again why my post about the quick fall back was so incorrect and worthy of negativity. This is going to be a looooooooooong season for Stars fans, as they will most likely miss the playoffs...Again. Sad to see as the Stars are the home team, and even as I don't follow hockey closely, they are the home team and I love to see them be doing better.

But, Stars fan or not, this team is not getting it done.

Rudy, you keep blaming the players...since when, in your mind, are players responsible for anything? Odd.

They're in an awful way right now. The big picture is what matters here and this organization is in rebuilding mode. I did not expect playoffs this season anyways. They've showed flashes of great hockey but they have holes and have had them all season long. They'll miss the playoffs again however there is a bright future ahead now. 4 or 5 years ago there wasn't. Newy started bringing talent to the organization and they're still developing and maturing. Nill brought a superstar and cornerstone here in Seguin. The team is looking up but they're in a bad way right now. Coaching is fine and isn't the problem in this case IMO. This team is still super young and fans need to keep this in perspective.

They're in an awful way right now. The big picture is what matters here and this organization is in rebuilding mode. I did not expect playoffs this season anyways. They've showed flashes of great hockey but they have holes and have had them all season long. They'll miss the playoffs again however there is a bright future ahead now. 4 or 5 years ago there wasn't. Newy started bringing talent to the organization and they're still developing and maturing. Nill brought a superstar and cornerstone here in Seguin. The team is looking up but they're in a bad way right now. Coaching is fine and isn't the problem in this case IMO. This team is still super young and fans need to keep this in perspective.

Now, this is something I can agree with.

• Downvote 1

The biggest hole is defense. The offense doesn't always score, but as was pointed out, they are very young. But tremendous talent. Benn, Seguin, and Valerie Nichushkin could be one of the best lines in the league soon. Nichushkin has even been said to be the most naturally talented player in the NHL. Losing Robidas on an already average at best defense is what is killing us.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Gonchar becoming competent is becoming a nice change of pace. Still right there for the taking -- just need to focus on rooting against Phoenix, Minnesota, Vancouver and LA (especially with LA now going through exactly what we just did.) Tough stretch to the Olympic break with Avs, Devils, west coast trip with Duck, Yote and Fin, then one more time against Yote. 8 of 12 points here would be great as they could at least entrench into 9, then get a little bit of a soft patch after the break.

30 games left - probably have to win 20-23 of them to pull this off. Wouldn't bet on it, but they've shown their capable of playing with anyone in spurts all season.

• Upvote 1

[quote name="Quoner" post="812619" timestamp="1390754932"

games left - probably have to win ??? of them to pull this off. Wouldn't bet on it, but they've shown their capable of playing with anyone in spurts all season.

• Downvote 7

Haven't been able to watch the recording from last night, but beating Pittsburgh 3-0 took a great game all around. Once this team puts it all together on a consistent basis.....

It was a great game last night all around, Kari had his 25th career shutout and his 4 assist. I think the playoffs are not unheard of, I could see this team catch fire after the Olympic break.

Hey...you don't have to force it...but, give me your number ...happy to call.

Tell me again what place the Stars are in when we chat, OK. And, remember, you don't have to force anything. :-)

They are in 10th (17th in the league.) Benford and the boys are in 13th.

I don't understand where you are taking this or why you want to be part of a hockey thread, but you're doing a great job.

pat-pat-batman.gif

• Upvote 4

They are in tenth place they need to be in eighth place to get to playoffs not a real stretch. Minnesota is in 8th and has two games on us but only 6 points of separation. Only 2 points separate us from 9th place. Hopefully Robidas will be back in mid March or so.

GO STARS!!!!!!

Tough game tonight, the Stars played hard. I was hoping to get at least 1 point out of it.

Golly out of position on the first goal, Gonchar getting knocked out on the fourth goal and a ridiculous too many men on the ice penalty. Just not going to win consistently with this d corp being so unsteady, but the system and the forwards will keep it interesting.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tough game last night being a late night game and having a game the preceding night. I thought the stars did well and they still came a way with a point. The game was pretty fast paced at times and other times it looked flat. The first period was the flattest by the stars.

It was a good loss last night. They got a point out of it against a great team on the road on the 2nd day of a back to back. I'll take it any day of the week. It is a bit concerning their overtime record and they really struggle when its 4 on 4 in general. They are playing very good hockey right now and playoffs is not out of the possibility for sure. I'd say Saturday's game against Phoenix is almost a must win.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It was a good loss last night. They got a point out of it against a great team on the road on the 2nd day of a back to back. I'll take it any day of the week. It is a bit concerning their overtime record and they really struggle when its 4 on 4 in general. They are playing very good hockey right now and playoffs is not out of the possibility for sure. I'd say Saturday's game against Phoenix is almost a must win.

Looking at the schedule for them and the teams around them, they've got a decent chance to finish tied for 8th if they can win the Phoenix home game to close it out.

6. Minnesota - 67

7. LA - 66 (and still free falling)

8. Vancouver - 63

9. Phoenix - 62

9. Dallas - 62 (game in hand on everyone except PHX)

11. Winnipeg - 61 (WTF - where did they come from?)

Key games for the last few days before the break:

Today

Van @ Mtl

Jets @ Capitals

Nas @ Wild

CBJ @ LAK

Tomorrow

Chi @ Phx

Saturday

Jets @ Blues

Van @ Tor

Phx @ Dal

Still could finish anywhere between 6 and 12, but hopefully they can find a way to kram into one of the last spots. given their success against the Ducks and Hawks relative to the Blues, 7 or 8 is probably the best fit.

• Upvote 2

Caps beat the Jets, Canadiens thump the Canucks and Minnesota and LAK win.

6. Minnesota - 69

7. LA - 68

8. Vancouver - 63

9. Phoenix - 62

9. Dallas - 62

11. Winnipeg - 61

Mark my words, this is gonna happen. Go Blackhawks tonight.

• Upvote 1

Golly out of position on the first goal, Gonchar getting knocked out on the fourth goal and a ridiculous too many men on the ice penalty. Just not going to win consistently with this d corp being so unsteady, but the system and the forwards will keep it interesting.

I think it was last game maybe the OT Goose was screwing around with a guy in our crease, instead of clearing the crease he was the one that screened Kari for the goal. Clear the crease or get out of the way. He is a loose goose with way too many minutes and he should never ever join the rush. Or if Goose wants to play winger tryout as a winger, but her has no shot. I guess he could do no worse as a winger, he already back checks like a lazy winger. Gonchar has problems as well and both are too old to play way they do, I do mean mistakes and bad decisions upon bad decisions. They really need to trade Goose and Gonchar they are too expensive and are not good or leaders. I hope this gets addressed soon. Offense still looks like it could grow into an unstoppable force. Kari is amazing also, and with some solid defense he would be impenetrable steel curtain. Just get some parts for our d, some big strong strong D men that can put their bodies on guys to wear down the our opponents.

I hope we kick the snot out of Phoenix tonight and go into the break on a good note.