Tulsa up to 18

Harry

As first-year freshmen at the University of Tulsa, defensive tackles Jesse Brubaker and Lionel Phillips got extensive playing time during the 2013 season.

During the 2014 season, Earl Rollins hopes to match their achievement. On Tuesday night, the 6-foot-3, 280-pound tackle announced his commitment to the Golden Hurricane.

Coach Thibodeaux (Hurricane tackles coach Calvin Thibodeaux) says that if you work hard and youre good, youre going to play as a freshman, Rollins said. I appreciate that. I feel like I have a good shot at playing.

Read more: http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/texas-defensive-tackle-commits-to-hurricane/article_a98795d6-6798-11e3-8a47-0019bb30f31a.html

No offense Harry, but I could give a damn what Tulsa does. I wanted them to stay in CUSA as a rival and to give the conference more stability but they bolted. Tulane is another that gave us the bird. I was really happy to see the Cajuns win.

So was I. Are there that many good recruits out of Louisianian? That announcer kept saying that Louisiana is a great recruiting area.

No offense Harry, but I could give a damn what Tulsa does. I wanted them to stay in CUSA as a rival and to give the conference more stability but they bolted. Tulane is another that gave us the bird. I was really happy to see the Cajuns win.

That's all fine and well but they have been and will remain a good recruiting barometer for us. I find it interesting to see where and what positions they are recruiting.

That's all fine and well but they have been and will remain a good recruiting barometer for us. I find it interesting to see where and what positions they are recruiting.

Exactly. They are still going to be in Texas because they will still be playing SMU in their new, imitation conference. Therefore, although we lose them as conference mates, our coaches will still be competing with them in the living rooms of DFW and Houston recruits.

And, Tulsa has recruited very well in Louisiana for the past decade. There's no secret about that.

They had a down year due to the sheer number of new starters on defense (10) and losing their starting QB and leading WR early in the season. But, they could pop back up pretty easily in 2014. So, they are absolutely a measuring stick for us recruiting-wise until we can string together enough winning seasons to leave them behind.

(Which, by the way, I think we will. Their athletic director hires since Bubba Cunningham left are poor. And, I'm still not sold on Blankenship or Men's Basketball Coach Danny Manning.)