A couple more d-line options

BillySee58

I've said this on here for a while and I understand why it may not be a good idea, but I really think we should recruit Memphis. Not put a lot of resources into like we did in Louisiana, just go after a few guys from there. It's only about 7 and a half hours from Denton and we play a lot of teams that are less than 5 hours from Memphis (La Tech, USM, UAB, WKU, MUTS).

I don't mind us not going after Memphis kids, but the amount of Texas d-line prospects available are dwindling and that's what we need to spend our last two schollies on. Here are a couple of kids who I think we could get and would help. Also, Memphis kids have not seen the offseason and weight programs that Texas kids have seen, or the coaching so they have a lot of room for growth and development.

1. Zach Rasmussen: 6'3" 270 lb defensive lineman. Had 19 tfls and 7 sacks this year. Very fast off the ball and easily has the size and frame to play d-tackle.

Rivals:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Zach-Rasmussen-139205

247:

http://247sports.com/Player/Zach-Rasmussen-23444

Highlights:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/530764/highlights/111452377

Who has offered: Chattanooga, Murray State, Southern Illinois, Tennessee Martin

2. James Prather: 6'4" 235 lb linebacker/d-end. Plays for probably the best team in Memphis and maybe all of Tennessee. Plays linebacker and moves well, but also plays end and has the frame to play d-end in college. Was defensive MVP of his region. Little harder competition for this guy.

Rivals:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-James-Prather-144669

247:

http://247sports.com/Player/James-Prather-19303

Highlights:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/441779/

Who has offered: Memphis, Northern Illinois, South Alabama, Navy

Finish with a d-line class of Rasmussen and Prather or Xavier Washington and I'd be fine with no JUCOs at this point.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

Interesting -- I wouldn't rule anything out but given the debacle in Louisiana with Gaines my guess is they are pretty gun-shy about putting resources out of state. I would imagine that on any recruit we were up against Memphis on we might be facing Darrell Dickey. Not saying he would bad mouth us, but having bean a head coach here he would be in a unique position to battle against us with a recruit and family in his own backyard.

Interesting -- I wouldn't rule anything out but given the debacle in Louisiana with Gaines my guess is they are pretty gun-shy about putting resources out of state. I would imagine that on any recruit we were up against Memphis on we might be facing Darrell Dickey. Not saying he would bad mouth us, but having bean a head coach here he would be in a unique position to battle against us with a recruit and family in his own backyard.

I agree. But we wouldn't need to put near the amount of resources we put into Louisiana.

And that is possible with Dickey, but Memphis is going after Prather and not Rasmussen.

I recommend watching Rassmussen's film before calling this not worth trying, even though it might be.

• Upvote 1

I don't think we're talking about making a major commitment to another state when you are looking to cherry-pick a couple of recruits out of state. We picked up Andrew Power--a South Carolina boy at an Arizona juco, and we've picked up several key players in recent years from out-of-state jucos especially. We have a WR in this next class out of Oklahoma. And we still have some important players on our roster out of LA, including Mark Lewis and LaJaylin Smith, so "debacle" might be a strong word--I would go with "disappointment," though.

As far as Dickey goes, he would have been in a pretty good position in the Dodge years: "Look at how they've done since I've left." He can't really say that any more.

• Upvote 2

I don't think we're talking about making a major commitment to another state when you are looking to cherry-pick a couple of recruits out of state. We picked up Andrew Power--a South Carolina boy at an Arizona juco, and we've picked up several key players in recent years from out-of-state jucos especially. We have a WR in this next class out of Oklahoma. And we still have some important players on our roster out of LA, including Mark Lewis and LaJaylin Smith, so "debacle" might be a strong word--I would go with "disappointment," though.

As far as Dickey goes, he would have been in a pretty good position in the Dodge years: "Look at how they've done since I've left." He can't really say that any more.

Completely agree on all points.

I keep hearing two things. 1. Why aren't we getting any d-lineman with our head coach being a d-line guy? 2. We don't need to recruit outside Texas.

I agree that we don't have to recruit outside Texas much, but d-line is very hard to get good players who fall through the cracks. Running backs, backs, linebackers, receivers, even offensive linemen are really pretty much a dime a dozen in this state. D1 D-lineman, particularly d-tackles, are hard to find. With the Big 12 schools, A&M, LSU, and even Houston ahead of us right now they usually scoop up the good ones leaving us with not much left. That's why I think broadening our recruiting horizons, even if just to cherry pick a few guys (particularly d-tackles) could be beneficial to us. Memphis is just an example because there are good football players there and it isn't very far.

• Upvote 1

Completely agree on all points.

I keep hearing two things. 1. Why aren't we getting any d-lineman with our head coach being a d-line guy? 2. We don't need to recruit outside Texas.

I agree that we don't have to recruit outside Texas much, but d-line is very hard to get good players who fall through the cracks. Running backs, backs, linebackers, receivers, even offensive linemen are really pretty much a dime a dozen in this state. D1 D-lineman, particularly d-tackles, are hard to find. With the Big 12 schools, A&M, LSU, and even Houston ahead of us right now they usually scoop up the good ones leaving us with not much left. That's why I think broadening our recruiting horizons, even if just to cherry pick a few guys (particularly d-tackles) could be beneficial to us. Memphis is just an example because there are good football players there and it isn't very far.

That's the real dilemma. Anyone can find DT's in Texas, but finding those who can succeed in major college ball is another story all together. Not many fall through the recruiting net in this state.

That's the real dilemma. Anyone can find DT's in Texas, but finding those who can succeed in major college ball is another story all together. Not many fall through the recruiting net in this state.

Exactly. Waiting for the guys who fall through that recruiting net doesn't leave you with much. Especially with schools like Texas, as Harry mentioned in the football forum, now offering guys like Bryce English from DeSoto, a booger clone. 10, probably even 5 years ago they wouldn't give a sub 6' d-tackle a chance. Now they snatch them up early; sophomore year in English's case.

Exactly. Waiting for the guys who fall through that recruiting net doesn't leave you with much. Especially with schools like Texas, as Harry mentioned in the football forum, now offering guys like Bryce English from DeSoto, a booger clone. 10, probably even 5 years ago they wouldn't give a sub 6' d-tackle a chance. Now they snatch them up early; sophomore year in English's case.

I wouldn't doubt that Booger is the very reason why they offered English. Mack Brown was forced to notice him after the havoc he wreaked when our defense sacked Chris Simms 7 times, or whatever it was.

• Upvote 1

East Carolina has 6 DE commits for their 2014 class, with 5 of the 6 at 6-4 to 6-6, 220 to 250 + lbs.

I think the HFC at ECU could turn a couple of these DE's into DT's.

Why does the east coast produce so many big DT's every year, while Texas does not?

I have always said, if you cannot recruit a DT, then make a DT!

Maybe the North Texas staff should go after DE's or OL guys they could convert into DT's.

There are big HS kids all over Texas that could work under our S/C coach, to become DT's.

I have heard that Patterson at TCU will recruit tall basketball players to become DE's.

Also, Memphis kids have not seen the offseason and weight programs that Texas kids have seen, or the coaching so they have a lot of room for growth and development.

Fantastic point, and also why I am cautious any time we sign a kid from a program like Southlake or Allen. Those kids have already been in a college-level weight training program for 4+ years and have played for coaches good enough to squeeze every drop of production out of them. They are ready to plug and play, but they might not ever get any better than they are on the first day of freshman orientation.

Hahahaha Harry! Darrell Dickey retired from recruiting after the Brandon Kennedy class. If he hadn't done that, he would still be here.

Fantastic point, and also why I am cautious any time we sign a kid from a program like Southlake or Allen. Those kids have already been in a college-level weight training program for 4+ years and have played for coaches good enough to squeeze every drop of production out of them. They are ready to plug and play, but they might not ever get any better than they are on the first day of freshman orientation.

Exactly. Kind of what you see is what you get with most big school DFW kids. There are exceptions, but it just kind of comes with coaches recognizing when their players are 9th and sometimes 8th graders who the future varsity guys are going to be. Then, as you said, they maximize that talent over their high school career.

• 4 months later...