Will we see the 5-wide set again?

BillySee58

This is not a thread bashing Chico or the offense. Our recruiting class and their talents got me thinking.

I thought the 5-wide set looked good earlier in the year and I'd like to see it in the bowl game. Also, with bringing in guys like Jalen Adams, Willy Ivery, Fonzale Davis, O'Keeron Rutherford, and Tee Goree I can't help but picture them all out on the field creating matchup nightmares. I know, none of them have signed yet, but it would be fun to watch.

Will we see it in the bowl game? In upcoming years with our potential depth at receiver?

Lol. I know he's old school, but I hope he reconsiders once he sees all that talent. Especially coupled with the current freshman, Kidsy and Smiley, and anyone we bring in next year.

That was more tongue in cheek.

I think Mac is savy enough to adopt to his players. If we do end up brining in a bunch of stud playmakers and if we have a QB who can sling it, I think we could see five receiver sets.

Bowl game this year? I would not hold my breath.

I keep hearing about Smiley. What is the story there? I would have thought if he was that good he would have played this year.

Not necessarily. We haven't really used anyone outside of our starting three (Harris, D Smith, Chancellor) very much. Our number 4 guy is Kidsy and after him we really haven't utilized anyone else very much.

Glad we redshirted smiley. Not expecting him to come in and be our leading receiver next year, but he should provide nice depth at least.

Bowl game, future years, or both.

Both.

I think both Mac and Chico feel comfortable with the 5 guys that they got in Chancellor, Smith, Harris, Terrell, and Kidsy to put them on the field all at the same time. Again its going to be dictated by situation, but I don't think there is any reason to doubt that they wont use that set if they need to.

Next year you have 3 of that 5 returning and a host of guys who are verbally committed that look like they can step in right away and contribute. You have to think out of Goree, Ivery, Davis, and Adams that at least two of those guys will see playing time. Also it wouldn't surprise me to see Marcus Smith get some looks in those situations. If he can continue to develop his pass catching abilities he could become a match-up nightmare for defenses. Imagine him vs. a LB in 5 spread set.

Both.

I think both Mac and Chico feel comfortable with the 5 guys that they got in Chancellor, Smith, Harris, Terrell, and Kidsy to put them on the field all at the same time. Again its going to be dictated by situation, but I don't think there is any reason to doubt that they wont use that set if they need to.

Next year you have 3 of that 5 returning and a host of guys who are verbally committed that look like they can step in right away and contribute. You have to think out of Goree, Ivery, Davis, and Adams that at least two of those guys will see playing time. Also it wouldn't surprise me to see Marcus Smith get some looks in those situations. If he can continue to develop his pass catching abilities he could become a match-up nightmare for defenses. Imagine him vs. a LB in 5 spread set.

Great post. I think at least Goree and Davis will be ready to go from day 1. Also, Marcus Smith is so close to being that guy for us. He's come along really well.

Next year you have 3 of that 5 returning and a host of guys who are verbally committed that look like they can step in right away and contribute. You have to think out of Goree, Ivery, Davis, and Adams that at least two of those guys will see playing time.

Ivery's being recruited as a RB, although I wouldn't be shocked to see him occasionally lined up in the slot.

Ivery's being recruited as a RB, although I wouldn't be shocked to see him occasionally lined up in the slot.

I see Ivery probably stepping in immediately and filling Jeremy Brown's role from last year as the change-of-pace, scat-back from Pegram/Jimmerson/Rollins. It's going to be a pretty crowded backfield next year.

If we split him out like that, it would just be another look to throw out there, and that's a good thing!

I still wouldn't be surprised to see Goree and Davis redshirt. Coach Mac thinks long term and however good they will be, they will be better with one more year of Wintrich's footbal performance training.

Whatever they do will be great, these coaches know what they're doing.

I agree with your philosophy, but receiver is not as much a position where they need to redshirt to get ready physically. Not to say the physicality between cornerbacks and receivers is not a huge step up from high school, but it's nothing compared to the increase in physicality along the line of scrimmage.

Carlos Harris was not very big, but he was fast and could make plays so he played as a freshman. Same with Darvin Kidsy this year. You don't have to be physically imposing to play as a true freshman if you're a skill player.

Not to mention, we only return 6 scholarship receivers, only 2 of which have seen significant snaps this year.

I agree with your philosophy, but receiver is not as much a position where they need to redshirt to get ready physically. Not to say the physicality between cornerbacks and receivers is not a huge step up from high school, but it's nothing compared to the increase in physicality along the line of scrimmage.

Carlos Harris was not very big, but he was fast and could make plays so he played as a freshman. Same with Darvin Kidsy this year. You don't have to be physically imposing to play as a true freshman if you're a skill player.

Not to mention, we only return 6 scholarship receivers, only 2 of which have seen significant snaps this year.

There are enough receivers in the class to put a RS on a couple of them, but a couple of them will be ready to play and will play.

There are enough receivers in the class to put a RS on a couple of them, but a couple of them will be ready to play and will play.

Yes. I think we'll redshirt at most one of the two slots next year (Adams or Davis) and one of the two outside guys (Goree or Rutherford). I just can't see Goree redshirting, or Davis for that matter.

Rutherford could use the redshirt the most. Him adding weight would actually matter more given his 6'5" frame. He could also benefit from working on his route running.