Details of RV’s contract extension

Harry

UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal will be with the university a little longer under terms of his latest contract extension that was released to the Denton Record-Chronicle in response to a Freedom of Information Act request.

I have been asking for it for months, but didn’t get my hands on it until the last couple of days.

The contract extends Villarreal’s deal with UNT to Feb. 28, 2018. His last extension had him under contract until Feb. 28, 2017.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/11/details-of-rvs-contract-extension.html/

So the BOR makes up these deals? Given the current leadership, I'd imagine the contract reads something like this:

"RV, we'll give you a 40% cut of all ticket and apparel sales related to athletics upon completion of all transactions"

The catch, is that the 20 year bonding, which gets rebonded for another 20 years at conclusion of the initial offering, holds up "completion of transactions," so the BOR waits it out until RV leaves with his arms thrown up in the air, and keeps the money for itself.

• Upvote 1

Boy, you harped on the BOR pretty bad for that horrible 10yr extension... no apologies? This is really nothing.

First, I always pout a question mark after the 10 year remark.

Second, it came from some really solid sources.

Third, Vito mentioned the rumor going around, so...

Fourth, No, no freaking apologies.

Why do this? And why do this before we knew how football would turn out this year? Why not release the details like you do with just about every coaching contract? Why make Vito go through the FOI process and then drag your feet in getting him the info?

I am glad that we are not locked in for 10 years, but any extension is a head scratcher, especially one that is so... meh.

• Upvote 1