UTSA feels the championship fever leading into North Texas

Harry

They can pound their chests all they want. They're angry they are seen as a commuter school filled with folks who landed there as a fall back. All they seem to have is penis envy and insecurity so they attempt to elevate themselves by crapping on everyone else. I am done reading anything UTSA related. These people are pathetic. I am sure they have good fans but I haven't met one yet.

Are you kidding me? When did we become SMU? We won 4 games last year, I repeat 4. Your description of UTSA is exactly how everyone outside of our football fanbase views us. We ARE a commuter school and we ARE a fallback for many Dallas area students that didn't get into OU/UT/A&M etc.

I can't believe what a bunch of pompous a-holes we have become just because we have a winning record for the first time in 9 YEARS! Yes they are new school and yes we will be favored in this game. However, the only thing that matters is the final score. They beat Tulane and we did not. They are fighting for their 6th win just like we did at Rice. They will be highly motivated. If our players approach this game like you guys, we will get our asses kicked. That is just the way it is.

How about we shut our mouths, let the players play, and then gloat AFTER we've won the game? I hope we win as big as you guys predict but this game scares the hell out of me.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

Are you kidding me? When did we become SMU? We won 4 games last year, I repeat 4. Your description of UTSA is exactly how everyone outside of our football fanbase views us. We ARE a commuter school and we ARE a fallback for many Dallas area students that didn't get into OU/UT/A&M etc.

I can't believe what a bunch of pompous a-holes we have become just because we have a winning record for the first time in 9 YEARS! Yes they are new school and yes we will be favored in this game. However, the only thing that matters is the final score. They beat Tulane and we did not. They are fighting for their 6th win just like we did at Rice. They will be highly motivated. If our players approach this game like you guys, we will get our asses kicked. That is just the way it is.

How about we shut our mouths, let the players play, and then gloat AFTER we've won the game? I hope we win as big as you guys predict but this game scares the hell out of me.

Chill bro.

Several of us felt this way about UTSA prior to the season even starting. Nothing has changed. The vitrol began when a few UTSA trolls came over and stoked the fire.

This is a message board. None of us play for the Mean Green. I have no doubt in my mind that Coach McCarney & crew, as well as these Seniors, are 100% focused on a well-prepared opponent in UTSA.

• Upvote 1

We are no longer a commuter school. Most of our students live within 10 miles of campus. I believe, can't remember the exact number, but roughly half live directly on or surrounding campus (within 5) and the other 25% live within 15 miles. The other 25% commute...comparable to UT, better than SMU and TCU. We have so many students wanting to live on campus that they had to put them in hotels. We are not a fallback. When polled, over half of the freshman class said NT was their first choice.

Maybe UNT was your second choice and maybe you commuted but your antiquated ideas continue to damage the reputation of this university.

I graduated in 2007 and we were at that time known as a commuter school (which is why I had to park at Fouts because the Premium lots were always full) and I saw plenty of other university's t-shirts on campus. UNT was the only school I applied to because it was the closest public university to my mom's house, so it was my first choice. US News says 80.7% live off campus. I thought living off-campus meant you commuted to campus but you're probably right. I love my university but it bugs me how much our fanbase is becoming like SMU's and how quickly.

I graduated in 2007 and we were at that time known as a commuter school (which is why I had to park at Fouts because the Premium lots were always full) and I saw plenty of other university's t-shirts on campus. UNT was the only school I applied to because it was the closest public university to my mom's house, so it was my first choice. US News says 80.7% live off campus. I thought living off-campus meant you commuted to campus but you're probably right. I love my university but it bugs me how much our fanbase is becoming like SMU's and how quickly.

Take my word for it—UNT is far different now that it was in 2007. That was the bottom of school spirit. It has changed immensely since when I began at UNT in 2010. It's a completely different university. I maybe see a different university shirt once a week...and it's usually A&M shirts (Johnny Football.) It's been a long, long time since I've seen a UT shirt.

That is probably not accurate anyway, or outdated information (US News) because we now have 14 different dorms on campus and there are 3 more in the works. 84% of students live on campus their freshman year as of this year.

http://ntdaily.com/threes-a-crowd-at-west-hall/

Look at the demand for residence on campus.

Many students live on campus their first year or two then go move into an apartment, as I did.

If you've noticed, there are tons of apartment complexes surrounding the campus. The Arbors, Uptown, The Gateway, The Forum, City Park, Sterling, etc. Also many buy/rent houses in the surrounding area. We are technically all living off-campus, and although I drive to campus, I would not consider myself a "commuter" because I live 3 minutes from campus.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1

Technically I used to commute to UNT from Hickory St.

Yup. I commute to UNT from Bernard St.

Take a school like UH (no disrespect intended) with no apartments nearby and the majority (hefty majority) living outside of 15 miles. That can be considered a commuter school.

I think the fact that we have one of the best student attendances in the mid-majors speaks for itself as far as "commuter school" goes.

Edited by meangreener

How nice are the new dorms? I miss Kerr. LOVED that 3 person dorm room, especially when there was only 2 of us in it. That was the penthouse of dorm roms.

The new dorms (Honors, Traditions, Legends and to a lesser extent Mozart/Santa Fe) are really, really nice. I lived in Mozart. It was really nice, except for the window units. Clark my freshman year was a disaster...but you have to experience living in a freshman dorm, imo.

Take my word for it—UNT is far different now that it was in 2007. That was the bottom of school spirit. It has changed immensely since when I began at UNT in 2010. It's a completely different university. I maybe see a different university shirt once a week...and it's usually A&M shirts (Johnny Football.) It's been a long, long time since I've seen a UT shirt.

That is probably not accurate anyway, or outdated information (US News) because we now have 14 different dorms on campus and there are 3 more in the works. 84% of students live on campus their freshman year as of this year.

http://ntdaily.com/threes-a-crowd-at-west-hall/

Look at the demand for residence on campus.

Many students live on campus their first year or two then go move into an apartment, as I did.

If you've noticed, there are tons of apartment complexes surrounding the campus. The Arbors, Uptown, The Gateway, The Forum, City Park, Sterling, etc. Also many buy/rent houses in the surrounding area. We are technically all living off-campus, and although I drive to campus, I would not consider myself a "commuter" because I live 3 minutes from campus.

I'm glad to hear this. errr read this

This is about one school. UTSA. We aren't this way to everyone, and probably wouldn't be so mean to them if they weren't such an AH fan base.

But they are. And they have done nothing, built nothing yet get gifted CUSA because of a TV market.

If you don't like it, simply don't read it.

• Upvote 3

Nevermind. You're right, friendo. Campus is the same as it was in 2007.

You've confused me. I haven't been to campus in a few years so I don't know what things are like anymore. I haven't even seen the new business building. I trust you guys when you say we are no longer viewed by others as a commuter school.

• Upvote 1

You've confused me. I haven't been to campus in a few years so I don't know what things are like anymore. I haven't even seen the new business building. I trust you guys when you say we are no longer viewed by others as a commuter school.

My bad. I thought you were being passive aggressive. I'm working on not being an a-hole online anymore. My apologies.

• Upvote 1

We may have been viewed as one, but it's bullsh and has been for sometime. I was on campus in 2001 and it was bullsh then too.

Students living off campus:

NT 80.7%

UT 81%

A&M 85%

Tx Tech 75%

UTSA 88%

Excellent statistics. Thank you for that. That meshes well with those statistics I found once but can't remember where stating about 50% are within 5 miles or on campus and another 25% are within 10. On campus/off campus should be defined differently.

lol what a bunch of dummies, led by a moderator nontheless

You have better facilities by the simple fact that your program is a century old. Same reason why you have more "history", even though it's a miserable one for the most part. Facilities can be built and it's something UTSA has already started doing.

None of that automatically gives UNT the nod in regards to product put out on the field nor does it put you at a higher level--we are both in the same conference after all. If you think your facilities/budget will give you the edge over UTSA over the years you are delusional. Take a look at most head to head recruiting battles between our schools these past couple of yrs...funny how most of them are choosing the clearly "inferior" uni down in SA.

Imagine what well do when our entire athletic complex is complete. Bye bye to you UNT, left behind by the Texas schools yet again. Maybe UTEP will stay behind with yall.

• Downvote 7

lol what a bunch of dummies, led by a moderator nontheless

You have better facilities by the simple fact that your program is a century old. Same reason why you have more "history", even though it's a miserable one for the most part. Facilities can be built and it's something UTSA has already started doing.

None of that automatically gives UNT the nod in regards to product put out on the field nor does it put you at a higher level--we are both in the same conference after all. If you think your facilities/budget will give you the edge over UTSA over the years you are delusional. Take a look at most head to head recruiting battles between our schools these past couple of yrs...funny how most of them are choosing the clearly "inferior" uni down in SA.

Imagine what well do when our entire athletic complex is complete. Bye bye to you UNT, left behind by the Texas schools yet again. Maybe UTEP will stay behind with yall.

Stop smoking crack.