Who should be our next Men's head coach?

UNT90

Lol but of coarse you and a ton of other people do. Because making the change would have revived the program, and we would have brought in the right person, and all the players would have stayed no transfers, and we would win 20 games this year, and we could all hold hands and sing kumbaya and be happy. I wish I had that knowledge and foresight knowing everything would have been that peachy had we just fired Benford after one year.

2000 Vic Trilli: 4-24

2001 Johnny Jones: 15-14

2011 Johnny Jones: 18-14

2012 Tony Benford: 12-20

• Upvote 4

By his direction I mean his product on the floor. His formula for building a winner. In no way am I say that Jones had the program going in the wrong direction. I meant he should get his 3 years to develop his program. Installing his ways.

You people who think its best to get rid of a coach after 1 year clearly don't know a lick about coaching. Your delusional to think that will solve the problem with a snap of the finger. If that would have happened I'm not sure we would have been able to field a team this year.

Last year had a lot to do with a new coach learning how to be a head coach and a group of players who quit. There was no effort and no execution of the motion offense. It was clear our guys didn't understand it. Last night they showed a lot better understanding. I'd be willing to bet that this team will look much like Jones teams. Lots of scoring and no defense.

Players quitting is a coaching problem.

This program was set to take a step up to the next level and has now taken 3 steps back. Big steps.

No eligible. HS recruits remaining from his first 2 classes. Does he need to learn how to recruit, also?

Look, we are, or should be, far beyond hiring a head coaching starter kit and them hoping the parts fit together. Our AD told is we are past this point and them turned around and hired this starter kit.

That was THE most important basketball coaching hire in the last 30 years, and not only did we blow it, we refuse to acknowledge that we blew it.

If you can't see that, you are either drunk in green koolaid or just don't understand college basketball.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think this is a joke of a thread!! Give the coach the support and the players.. Unless you have the money to give the university to make the change, then we all have no reason to not support it. I hope coach Benford has a lot of success, and if he does not, then at the point the make a change we can discuss who the next coach is.

This is a joke of a post. We all support the players and hope they can figure out how to win with a liability as a head coach.

If we say around and supported Benford and never spoke an ill word about his coaching abilities, he would remain head coach here for the next 10 years.

Are you still supporting Dodge? Do you not think pressure from alumni was one of the reasons Dodge was fired?

You want to sit on your hands and rah rah an obvious mistake, go right ahead. I'm going to kick and scream until he is gone. It's the only thing those of us without financial influence can do to have any voice at all.

So yeah recruiting is more than just hs players. He has done a pretty good job with jucos and transfers.

You can't call this hire a mistake yet. I'm sorry you just can't. Has it been disappointing so far? Yes. But a mistake no it's too early to tell.

If you were the AD we wouldn't have an athletic program bc no coach would be interested in working for you. You'd be replacing everybody after one loss. I'm pretty sure you would have fired Mac too.

Players Quiting is not just a coaching problem. If you think it is just a coaching problem then you don't understand the coach/player relationship.

So yeah recruiting is more than just hs players. He has done a pretty good job with jucos and transfers.

You can't call this hire a mistake yet. I'm sorry you just can't. Has it been disappointing so far? Yes. But a mistake no it's too early to tell.

If you were the AD we wouldn't have an athletic program bc no coach would be interested in working for you. You'd be replacing everybody after one loss. I'm pretty sure you would have fired Mac too.

Players Quiting is not just a coaching problem. If you think it is just a coaching problem then you don't understand the coach/player relationship.

If we can't call the Benford hire a mistake yet, then you can't say he's done a good job with recruiting and transfers. 12-20 last season and 1 win over a NAIA team.

• Upvote 1

This is a joke of a post. We all support the players and hope they can figure out how to win with a liability as a head coach.

If we say around and supported Benford and never spoke an ill word about his coaching abilities, he would remain head coach here for the next 10 years.

Are you still supporting Dodge? Do you not think pressure from alumni was one of the reasons Dodge was fired?

You want to sit on your hands and rah rah an obvious mistake, go right ahead. I'm going to kick and scream until he is gone. It's the only thing those of us without financial influence can do to have any voice at all.

This is where you are wrong. Pressure from alumni was not why dodge was fired. Dodge was fired because he didn't win enough football games.

Thank goodness when Coach McCarney was hired we had a president who didn't mind if the football coach made more than him, which was not the case when Dodge was hired. He came from an institution that hired John Calipari. If Benford gets fired, it will be because he didn't win basketball games. Plain and simple. Your rants basically accuse everyone with any financial wherewithal of being stupid, stubborn and selfish. You have said that the board of regents cares nothing about athletics if I remember correctly. There are three current and former regents that have donated 7 figures to athletics. Your rants contradicts everything we are trying to do. We meaning you, we meaning everyone that is trying to do whatever part they can to make this program successful, wether that means donating money, time or support. Kick and scream all you want, but I am telling you, if it makes you feel better because that is what you are doing whatever. But Benford will not be fired because of your kicking and screaming, he will be fired because of the obvious, he didn't win.

I have said it before, I see no reason for this public berating of our institution and the people that are hired to serve it, and indirectly the people that are doing everything in their power to make it better. meaning donors. The basketball players that are reading this forum don't need to see it, recruits don't need to see it, I just don't get it.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Mac was trying to fix a train wreck. Benford took a train that was powering ahead and derailed it.

Not sure what that is so tough for some to grasp.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Mac was trying to fix a train wreck. Benford took a train that was powering ahead and derailed it.

Not sure what that is so tough for some to grasp.

You can tell the people that are either drunk on the punch or ignorant to the recent past of this program.

We all can re-visit this halfway through conference season.

• Upvote 1

Anyone else here think that this dead horse of a topic has been beat to death enough? No one is going to change their views based on this thread, and certainly the Athletic Dept. Folks, BOR and University Administration will not act based on what folks here post.

As UNT90 has said, let's just see how this year pans out and where UNT goes after the year. Way too early to know much about this year as yet, so let's enjoy the ride as best we can, support the Mean Green and stop beating this dead horse of a topic.

• Upvote 2

I'd say you're wrong.

Most people around here would too. Would you be mad if I was right this team turned out better than you thought?

If I am wrong and they completely suck like 4 wins in conference play. I will make sure that I never make a bball comment again about UNT without deferring to you first. I'll even get you a Burger King crown and put the words Basketball Expert on it.

• Upvote 1