Mean Green Football History

ColoradoEagle

Pulled in the data from jhowell's historical scores and graphed them out. Total win wise (against only D1-A/FBS level schools), this is the best team since Dickey's 2004 team. Most people know that.

lIgFfu5.png

However, digging a little deeper I found this. After throwing out any wins against non-D1A/FBS opponents and ties from the earlier years, I measured the wins based on our opponent's win percentage (which included non-D1A, sorry I don't have that kind of time). Any loss was counted as a 0% for the opponent's percentage to bring the average down.

I can't know for sure without putting in days worth of work, but without diving into every opponent's schedule ever to determine D1A vs. D1AA, it appears that this team so far is the best team UNT has fielded since Hayden Fry's 1978 Eagles. Kinda shines a different light on the contract extension discussion.

qn5FsoG.png

• Upvote 3

1966-1969 was great four-year run, and they only played ten games unless you were in one of the very few bowls back then.

This. Seasons used to be shorter. Should probably use win percentage instead of number.

I also have the media guide books that have the 1-AA results around here somewhere if you want that data.

ETA: Wait just re-read your post. I do have that 1-AA data if you want it.

Edited by Cerebus

I am not sure why you would throw out D1aa, it was part of life and the seasons were shorter as you go back in time. Between the two you could have a perfect season and still not do as well. Kind of a dilemma.

A good point, especially since it would cut so many ways. Would we really want to forsake our overall winning record against Boise State, since we were both 1-aa Big West at the time? And maybe some ACC teams would find some comfort in throwing out their records against some Colonial Conference teams. And should Michigan, after having lost to Appy State, feel free to say, "that didn't count?" Also, with fewer games per season played in the past, throwing out whatever matchups against 1-aa would start taking the statistical sample down closer to being meaningless over the course of a single season.

This. Seasons used to be shorter. Should probably use win percentage instead of number.

Again, that's the point of the second chart. While 66-69 didn't have the number of games we're seeing now, you can see in the second chart that 1966 was statistically the best year we've had in football.

I also have the media guide books that have the 1-AA results around here somewhere if you want that data.

ETA: Wait just re-read your post. I do have that 1-AA data if you want it.

If someone really wanted me to chart it, I could, but I don't see the point in charting D1-AA data against D1-A/FBS. The level of competition seems too different to me.

Also, with fewer games per season played in the past, throwing out whatever matchups against 1-aa would start taking the statistical sample down closer to being meaningless over the course of a single season.

Throwing out the D1-AA wins we have as a D1-A/FBS team is less my choice than jhowell's records. He simply doesn't have the records for those teams, so instead of a W-L record, they just show up as "non-1A".
Edited by ColoradoEagle

If someone really wanted me to chart it, I could, but I don't see the point in charting D1-AA data against D1-A/FBS. The level of competition seems too different to me.

We have a losing record to Texas Tech unless you count those years.

It is very important to me that that is included, so I can continue to make fun of my brother at Thanksgiving.

A good point, especially since it would cut so many ways. Would we really want to forsake our overall winning record against Boise State, since we were both 1-aa Big West at the time? And maybe some ACC teams would find some comfort in throwing out their records against some Colonial Conference teams. And should Michigan, after having lost to Appy State, feel free to say, "that didn't count?" Also, with fewer games per season played in the past, throwing out whatever matchups against 1-aa would start taking the statistical sample down closer to being meaningless over the course of a single season.

The Big West was 1A, at least in the mid-to-late 90s. But there are some other quality wins in there pre-1995 that are pretty nice.