I think Dr. Rawlins has officially eclipsed Dr. Pohl

Harry

Based on the news we received today regarding UNT moving [DURING RAWLINS TENURE] their athletic budget from $19 million to potentially 30.4 million -- and this latest increase happening at the very end of his tenure prior to his announced retirement no less...has there ever been a more pro-athletics UNT president in our history? Has there been another President who has more tangible athletic accomplishments in the history of UNT?

The only one I would put in the same category would be Dr. Pohl, and based on this latest news I think Rawlins has moved securely into the #1 spot. Don't get me wrong, Dr. Pohl was a special special man and he did a lot of great things for us to get things back on track. He deserves a lot of credit. But when you think of all the amazing things that have transpired for athletics under Dr. Rawlins tenure it is just very impressive. To think he was hired as an interim and essentially stayed in the position because we needed him to... I feel a lot of appreciation for what this man has done for athletics at our University...GMG

Not sure your numbers are right (see below), but nonetheless he has done a lot for North Texas. Hopefully this ends up being the first step towards an athletic budget that allows us to compete at the highest level.

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/08/rawlins-presentation-a-couple-recruiting-notes.html/

Harry - Apologies. Just reread your post and I misunderstood what you meant by $19 million. I assume you meant $19 million at the beginning of Dr. Rawlins tenure.

Edited by cdizzle86
  • Upvote 1

If you look at the PowerPoint it states that UNT's athletic budget in 2011 was $19 million

Fast forward to today and they are looking for a proposed $30.4 million

On April 16, 2010 Rawlins was named President of UNT...

So my point is that in Rawlins tenure here we have seen our budget rise from $19 million to potentially $30.4....

Vito quotes the 27.6 based off of the report from Jenna Duncan at the DRC who said Rawlins was asking for an additional 2.8 million so he subtracted the 2.8 from the 30.4 (I think)...

My point was more to the huge increase in budget that has occurred in Rawlins tenure, not to mention facilities and C-USA move...basketball practice facility etc...Super Pit scoreboard

Based on the slide presentation, if our budget is indeed currently 27.6 million currently we would be above the average for the new C-USA which is 25 million....

Not sure your numbers are right (see below), but nonetheless he has done a lot for North Texas. Hopefully this ends up being the first step towards an athletic budget that allows us to compete at the highest level.

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/08/rawlins-presentation-a-couple-recruiting-notes.html/

Harry - Apologies. Just reread your post and I misunderstood what you meant by $19 million. I assume you meant $19 million at the beginning of Dr. Rawlins tenure.

I should have been more clear that I was looking at the budget during Rawlins tenure but you got what I was trying to say so thanks for that. I have gone back and edited so it will make more sense...

That makes sense and is a good increase in his tenure, but does the budget include the additional income from the $10 dollar per semester hour athletic fee or not? That obviously was in motion before Rawlins time. If the increase does include proceeds from the athletic fee, then depending on how much of that fee (and how much of the subsequent admission into CUSA via TV contract contributes to the athletic budget) figures in will tell us how much the budget was truly increased by the university and how much was increased by the students themselves.

I am only asking. I don't know.

This seems like a job for Tasty. And I expect the answer in a limerick. That is your challenge.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1