Tuesday afternoon football notes, Chad Polk video, GYROTR update

Harry

I stopped by UNTs practice this morning and picked up a few good notes, along with a video interview with Chad Polk that will accompany my notebook in tomorrows paper.

Polk is an interesting story because he is way undersized for a defensive end and decidedly in the mix for playing time. I talked to Polk a little about the transition from linebacker and how he fits in.

I also thought defensive coordinator John Skladany made a great point about the rise of spread offenses and how the changes in college football have put a premium on Polks best assets speed an quickness.

Be sure to pick up a copy of the paper to see the story.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/08/tuesday-afternoon-football-notes-chad-polk-video.html/

Very true what Vito says about Williams. If he were the backup then they would be getting him more reps.

If you don't redshirt your true freshman qb then it's because you expect him to take over the starting role at some point in the season. You don't just burn a freshman's to give him mop up duty where he just hands the ball off. No dodge jokes please.

• Upvote 1

Got to root for Polk (who was one of my favorites anyway). Seems like a respectful kid that wants to help the team.

I remember watching his HS highlight film and being really impressed with how the kid could hit. I don't know what to expect from him at this position, but I look forward to finding out.

• Upvote 1

I still think that Kidsy will be starting halfway through the year.

Yep. But still have to hope BB is #2 this year for any chance of him seizing the job during the year.

Absolutely my hope and I think I'd be surprised with Mcnulty as the backup. I also think Williams may be heading for a redshirt after all.