The passing and movement throughout the Gold Cup is probably the best I've seen from the USMNT...in spite this being essentially a B team auditioning for qualifier and World Cup roster spots. Eddie Johnson's dummy-run that led to the first goal last night was a thing of beauty.

It's also become readily apparent that Landon Donovan belongs on the first team...I'm just not sure what role he would fill. He's played remarkably this tournament in large part because he's been given the freedom to do what he does best and roam while playing nominally as the 10. I think the only spot for him in the first team is playing wide on the left and when he's forced to the flanks he has a tendency to drift in and out of games. That may be a risk worth taking though because right now he's playing too well to be on the bench.

This tournament has also given some youngsters a chance to shine and guys like Bedoya, Torres, Beckerman, Corona and Diskaruud have taken full advantage. The depth in midfield is going to create some great competition for roster spots. Right now, my take on where the first team sits:

Altidore

Donovan Dempsey Zusi

Bradley Jones

Beasley Gonzalez Besler/Goodson Parkhurst/Evans

Howard

Bench:

Guzan

Besler/Goodson

Parkhurst/Evans

Cameron

F. Johnson

E. Johnson

Corona/Bedoya/Diskaruud/Torres

Hopefully Timmy Chandler works his way back to fitness...someone needs to push DeMarcus Beasley at left back. Would've liked to see Brad Evans get more work at RB this tourney, but Parkhurst has really played well. Disappointed that we didn't see any Jack McInerney...this side needs more attacking options...not sold that Wondolowski is an international.

• Upvote 3

Agree...this is certainly the best run for the men's team and best play I have seen since Klinsman took over as head coach. They also seem to be enjoying playing together which is another factor, and yes, Donovan is looking really sharp at the moment.

personally, i would like to have seen a USA-Mexico final, but Panama is playing well and has a good squad, so that makes the finals match-up probably a better game than if Mexico had won.

Looking forward to Sunday's final...USA! USA! USA!

on a side note...one would think that a semi-final at Jerry World would have warranted more attention to the field set up. The US men's team rarely plays in Dallas, and the way the field was set up for last evening's game will certainly not help the cause at all. A little surprised that FIFA gave the approval to just a layer of sod on top of concrete and a hastily laid field at that!

Agree...this is certainly the best run for the men's team and best play I have seen since Klinsman took over as head coach. They also seem to be enjoying playing together which is another factor, and yes, Donovan is looking really sharp at the moment.

personally, i would like to have seen a USA-Mexico final, but Panama is playing well and has a good squad, so that makes the finals match-up probably a better game than if Mexico had won.

Looking forward to Sunday's final...USA! USA! USA!

on a side note...one would think that a semi-final at Jerry World would have warranted more attention to the field set up. The US men's team rarely plays in Dallas, and the way the field was set up for last evening's game will certainly not help the cause at all. A little surprised that FIFA gave the approval to just a layer of sod on top of concrete and a hastily laid field at that!

Did you watch the Mexico match? I didn't...the pitch was already pretty chewed up after the US match so I was wondering what it looked like, especially late in the Mexico match.

I agree as well. The days of ball control without attack, play D and wait to counter are over. Love the agreznif style Klinsmann has them playing.

His pasion is awesome, and I prob would have lost my sh*t on the ref as well. Sucks that he will sit out the final, but those were some terrible non calls.

Beasleys time in Mexico has paid dividends for him. He has learned that style and is doing well playing the teams from our qualifying group, but I think we need someone stronger for International play.

The passing and movement throughout the Gold Cup is probably the best I've seen from the USMNT...in spite this being essentially a B team auditioning for qualifier and World Cup roster spots. Eddie Johnson's dummy-run that led to the first goal last night was a thing of beauty.

It's also become readily apparent that Landon Donovan belongs on the first team...I'm just not sure what role he would fill. He's played remarkably this tournament in large part because he's been given the freedom to do what he does best and roam while playing nominally as the 10. I think the only spot for him in the first team is playing wide on the left and when he's forced to the flanks he has a tendency to drift in and out of games. That may be a risk worth taking though because right now he's playing too well to be on the bench.

This tournament has also given some youngsters a chance to shine and guys like Bedoya, Torres, Beckerman, Corona and Diskaruud have taken full advantage. The depth in midfield is going to create some great competition for roster spots. Right now, my take on where the first team sits:

Altidore

Donovan Dempsey Zusi

Bradley Jones

Beasley Gonzalez Besler/Goodson Parkhurst/Evans

Howard

Bench:

Guzan

Besler/Goodson

Parkhurst/Evans

Cameron

F. Johnson

E. Johnson

Corona/Bedoya/Diskaruud/Torres

Hopefully Timmy Chandler works his way back to fitness...someone needs to push DeMarcus Beasley at left back. Would've liked to see Brad Evans get more work at RB this tourney, but Parkhurst has really played well. Disappointed that we didn't see any Jack McInerney...this side needs more attacking options...not sold that Wondolowski is an international.

No Stu Holden? I think he's played well enough. It's nice to see the guys playing so well. I don't care if it is against teams like Belize et al. They are scoring goals, beating the teams they need to beat (which used to be a problem), and playing with style. I think they have started to buy into Zie German's philosopy.

Yep...torn up is a good word for it...both games, but much more so for Mexico-Panama. Really embarrassing the way Jerry World handled that field set up, and will probably keep the US men from returning to DFW for awhile...at least in considering Jerry World as a venue. BIG crowd and to have the field in that condition was uncalled for on any level.

I do think FIFA should have stepped in and made some changes mandatory before play, but, as I understand it, the sod was laid on top of the concrete pretty late so the "grass" would not die out before the games.

Sort of wonder what Mexico and Panama thought of playing on it. I think we all know what the US players have said about it!

No Stu Holden? I think he's played well enough. It's nice to see the guys playing so well. I don't care if it is against teams like Belize et al. They are scoring goals, beating the teams they need to beat (which used to be a problem), and playing with style. I think they have started to buy into Zie German's philosopy.

Not based on anything I've seen from the Gold Cup...he was wasteful with a couple of good chances last night and unless I'm forgetful I can't recall any of his build-up play resulting in any real chances, let alone goals. He's been under-whelming...but at this point I'm more than willing to chalk it all up to rust given his lay-off. I really hope he can get back to the form he was in before his injuries and he makes the USMNT for Brazil...that'd be a real feel-good story, but at this point I don't think he's earned it.

It was pretty torn up. Mexico looked terrible all night. They were out of sinc and had no control over the midfield.

Yes, but that was Mexico's B-team out there. Maybe one of them has more than 15 caps, and the majority had less than 10. None of those guys plays internationally. They are all Liga MX, which is pretty middle of the road competition-wise when compared to other soccer leagues in Europe.

Probably the best of Mexico's Gold Cup squad has been Marco Fabian. But, it's be a while before he's called up to the A-squad with Chicharito, dos Santos, de Nigris, Bravo, and Peralta ahead of him. Bravo is approaching his mid-30s, so maybe he'll get a break in a year or two.

Yes, but that was Mexico's B-team out there. Maybe one of them has more than 15 caps, and the majority had less than 10. None of those guys plays internationally. They are all Liga MX, which is pretty middle of the road competition-wise when compared to other soccer leagues in Europe.

Probably the best of Mexico's Gold Cup squad has been Marco Fabian. But, it's be a while before he's called up to the A-squad with Chicharito, dos Santos, de Nigris, Bravo, and Peralta ahead of him. Bravo is approaching his mid-30s, so maybe he'll get a break in a year or two.

Gold Cup is pretty much every nation's B-squad. A good number of the Panamanian team el Tri lost to last night play in the Panamanian league...a major step down from Liga MX.

Mexico's national team is in a bad way...top to bottom. The allure of the Azteca has worn off...no one is afraid to go play there now b/c they know the formula...hold them for 35-40 minutes and the home crowd will turn on el Tri. I think Mexico will still make it through the Hex in the top 3, but to have just 8 points through 6 matches should be unacceptable given their individual talent.

Gold Cup is pretty much every nation's B-squad. A good number of the Panamanian team el Tri lost to last night play in the Panamanian league...a major step down from Liga MX.

Mexico's national team is in a bad way...top to bottom. The allure of the Azteca has worn off...no one is afraid to go play there now b/c they know the formula...hold them for 35-40 minutes and the home crowd will turn on el Tri. I think Mexico will still make it through the Hex in the top 3, but to have just 8 points through 6 matches should be unacceptable given their individual talent.

Agree with this.