Are you sure you want teachers with guns.?

And for those of you that haven't seen it, you may want to check out this story. Ya, there is zero chance the government will come for your guns for no reason. Zero chance...:

http://news.yahoo.com/cops-raid-family-home-over-facebook-photo-child-151606241.html

--- Note the story says ILLEGAL GUNS...... not just guns.... That would include a shotgun with a 10" barrel**. I would think they might show up also if they displayed on Facebook a bale of hay that was marijuana, bags of cocaine, a meth lab, or a case of dynomite or many other things that is illegal to have ... Why are you so afraid of the government....??.. we have had no coup or anything close in the past 200 years. Some guns have been banned for decades... this is nothing new. As for carrying guns around.... do you really think the Old West was really safe when about everyone carried one? Even cattle drive towns tried to ban them somewhat from the city at times.

---Why do you want teachers to have guns on them ... ? The risk vs. rewards just isn't worth it.

** once knew a kid in HS that had one (saw it)... dumb urban kid and tried to shoot a shotgun that he had gotten dirt in end of barrel before shooting and the barrel "swelled". It was ruined so he just cut it off... That was illegal as heck. He wasn't a criminal type... just stupid. I graduated and lost track of him.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

--- Note the story says ILLEGAL GUNS...... not just guns.... That would include a shotgun with a 10" barrel**. I would think they might show up also if they displayed on Facebook a bale of hay that was marijuana, bags of cocaine, a meth lab, or a case of dynomite or many other things that is illegal to have ... Why are you so afraid of the government....??.. we have had no coup or anything close in the past 200 years. Some guns have been banned for decades... this is nothing new. As for carrying guns around.... do you really think the Old West was really safe when about everyone carried one? Even cattle drive towns tried to ban them somewhat from the city at times.

---Why do you want teachers to have guns on them ... ? The risk vs. rewards just isn't worth it.

** once knew a kid in HS that had one (saw it)... dumb urban kid and tried to shoot a shotgun that he had gotten dirt in end of barrel before shooting and the barrel "swelled". It was ruined so he just cut it off... That was illegal as heck. He wasn't a criminal type... just stupid. I graduated and lost track of him.

Don't know what story you read , but the gun the kid was holding was absolutely legal. Don't know if you saw the picture, but it is a harmless pic of the kid in hunting fatigues posing with the 22 cal semi-auto rifle held in a very non-threatening position. Just a little background search on dad should have precluded any government contact, much less a freaking knock and talk by police.

You should do a little research on democracies throughout history, how long they last, the reasons that they fall, and what the next form of government is after they fall.

Everyone should have a healthy fear of government. It is one of the core values on which this nation was founded, after all.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

I think it would be better if rather than having to arm teachers, each school had an armed security guard (or 2) at the front and back. Professionally trained. All the school needs is a deterrent and to not be a killing field.

I'm all for this, but be prepared for property taxes to go up quite a bit.

Putting guns in the hands of teachers who don't want them, or shouldn't have, them is not the answer.

• Upvote 1

Don't know what story you read , but the gun the kid was holding was absolutely legal. Don't know if you saw the picture, but it is a harmless pic of the kid in hunting fatigues posing with the 22 cal semi-auto rifle held in a very non-threatening position. Just a little background search on dad should have precluded any government contact, much less a freaking knock and talk by police.

-- You win that part.... I misread... it was a legal one.... and only a .22 at that.

--- Sounds like a couple of out of control cops..... They were told to get a legal search warrant and couldn't. Just because a person is a cop or security doesn't meant they are right or brilliant... I had one shoot at me once... thought I was a burgler... I was a night employee ( and college student ) and was supposed to be there. Again that happens also ... even people who are trained with guns do stupid things. What he thought he saw happening wasn't happening. .Still want people in schools with guns... especially a trigger happy one. !!

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Downvote 1

I'm all for this, but be prepared for property taxes to go up quite a bit.

Putting guns in the hands of teachers who don't want them, or shouldn't have, them is not the answer.

Seriously?

You don't make a teacher carry a gun, you allow them to carry one if they want to, if the administration agrees that they are capable, and if they go through the conceal carry course.

• Upvote 1

So, why would I want goverment employees packin' heat around my kids?

Government's job is also to protect it's citizens. One of it's main functions, actually.

And I don't think you have to fear DISD kicking in your door and taking your legal guns.

• Upvote 1

Seriously?

You don't make a teacher carry a gun, you allow them to carry one if they want to, if the administration agrees that they are capable, and if they go through the conceal carry course.

I still wouldn't really be for it... But were we to go down this road I'd hope the teachers who choose to carry would go through a more comprehensive course than your standard CHL.

I've completed both the Texas and Utah and wouldn't consider either to be enough.

• Upvote 4

I have worked at three different schools over the last 15 years. Each school has had at least one full time fully amed Police officer assigned to it's campus. There has not been a mass shooting at any of those schools. But there was also an armed security guard on the Columbine H.S. campus when the shooting that killed 15 took place.

I don't have a dog in this fight, just an FYI.

• Upvote 3

I'm a professor at the University and I am FOR concealed carry. I don't want to be treated like a second rate citizen and not be able to carry, when permitted, because I work at a school. I would also like to have a plan rather than just hope and pray, in the event of a campus shooting. History doesn't dictate the future, so we don't know if a shooting will happen or not. I'd like to be prepared if it happens, and hope that it does not.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I'm a professor at the University and I am FOR concealed carry. I don't want to be treated like a second rate citizen and not be able to carry, when permitted, because I work at a school. I would also like to have a plan rather than just hope and pray, in the event of a campus shooting. History doesn't dictate the future, so we don't know if a shooting will happen or not. I'd like to be prepared if it happens, and hope that it does not.

Assuming you have a concealed carry license you can carry anywhere anyone else with a CHL can legally carry - no one (except a cop) can legally carry in a building on a state university. Your not being able to doesn't make you a second-class citizen.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Assuming you have a concealed carry license you can carry anywhere anyone else with a CHL can legally carry - no one (except a cop) can legally carry in a building on a state university. Your not being able to doesn't make you a second-class citizen.

Partially true but it depends on your perspective. Many concealed handlers can carry to work, I can't, because I work at a school.

• Upvote 1

Partially true but it depends on your perspective. Many concealed handlers can carry to work, I can't, because I work at a school.

Do you really want a bunch of guns in your classroom? Does that, for you, meet the ideal of a university? I know safety is important, but should craving the completely-safe-environment (which ain't gonna happen) out-weigh other considerations?

• Downvote 1

Do you really want a bunch of guns in your classroom? Does that, for you, meet the ideal of a university? I know safety is important, but should craving the completely-safe-environment (which ain't gonna happen) out-weigh other considerations?

This is where the conversation starts going south due to exaggerations. A bunch of guns in my classroom? I am indifferent to "a bunch of guns in my classroom." I have "a bunch of guns" at home and they haven't caused any problems; in fact, they pretty much keep to themselves. With concealed carry permits, you are unaware of the amount of guns in the classroom, hallway, bathroom, courtyard, etc...because they are concealed by trained and licensed individuals. I would only be aware of the one I was in charge of.

There is no "ideal" of a university. There is a reality of theUniversity I work for. In that reality, a person is relatively defenseless in the event of a rogue shooter. I would like that to be changed.

At "THE U", we always crave a completely-safe-environment. That should outweigh less safe environments.

• Upvote 3

I mean, it's like guns just point themselves and fire randomly at people with no one holding them.

"Are you OK with a bunch on guns in your classroom?"

Have the rconsequences of gun crime really been shifted so heavily from the individual to the machine that we now worry how many machines are around?

I don't blame the poster, as this has been deeply conditioned into him by every media outlet around, and may have been conditioned into him through the educational system. Much like the term "assault rifle" is a completely fabricated term that truthfully only has to do with how a weapon looks and not how it functions, guns as a whole have been vilified as the root of violent crime. Nothing could be further from the truth.

It's a cheap excuse to avoid the true problems of society.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I don't blame the poster, as this has been deeply conditioned into him by every media outlet around, and may have been conditioned into him through the educational system. Much like the term "assault rifle" is a completely fabricated term that truthfully only has to do with how a weapon looks and not how it functions, guns as a whole have been vilified as the root of violent crime. Nothing could be further from the truth.

It's a cheap excuse to avoid the true problems of society.

Actually, "the poster" probably has more guns than you do. Some of my guns would probably be classified as 'assault weapons'. My guns belong in my home - not in a classroom.

• Upvote 3

Actually, "the poster" probably has more guns than you do. Some of my guns would probably be classified as 'assault weapons'. My guns belong in my home - not in a classroom.

So, do you think that if you carried one of these guns into a classroom, you would suddenly have the urge to shoot someone? Do you think that what you know about gun safety would suddenly disappear?

Do you keep any loaded guns at home? If so, don't you spend a lot more time at home than in a classroom, and wouldn't that mean that you were far more likely to have a gun accident at home?

And we have to be talking about gun accidents, right? Because anyone who WANTS to intentionally commit gun violence (shoot people) isn't going to say "wow, I can't carry my gun in there, it's against the law."

And if that person shows up in your classroom and shoots you before you can get to your weapon, wouldn't you want one of your students (assuming we are talking college here) to be arm so that he could protect him/herself and the rest of the class?

Again, this should be left up to the individual universities at the college level and to the individual school districts, not the state or federal government. Government is always better practiced at the local level.

• Upvote 2

So, do you think that if you carried one of these guns into a classroom, you would suddenly have the urge to shoot someone?

No, I'm unlikely to carry a gun into a classroom & if I did I would be unlikely to have an irrestible urge to shoot someone. I don't have the same confidence in the behavior of other people carrying guns in the classroom.

Do you think that what you know about gun safety would suddenly disappear?

No, but even the best trained sometimes have accidents. My cousin, on his second tour in VN, managed to shoot himself in the leg. He was well trained but he did something stupid. People tend to do stupid things. When they do stupid things with guns....

Edited by GTWT
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No, I'm unlikely to carry a gun into a classroom & if I did I would be unlikely to have an irrestible urge to shoot someone. I don't have the same confidence in the behavior of other people carrying guns in the classroom.

No, but even the best trained sometimes have accidents. My cousin, on his second tour in VN, managed to shoot himself in the leg. He was well trained but he did something stupid. People tend to do stupid things. When they do stupid things with guns....

So, again, what is to keep those other people from carrying a gun into your classroom right now if they had I'll will on their mind? Do you really think that if they were bound and determined to commit felony murder that a carrying where weapons prohibited charge would magically keep them from committing that murder? And if that person showed up, wouldn't you want someone, anyone to be able to stop him?

As for gun accidents, I'll give you that point when you can show me one instance of a firearm spontaneously firing while holstered. Just one. Gun accidents happen when people are actively handling guns, not when they are safely holstered in a concealed holster.

If you don't wanna carry, more power to you, but don't impose your will on those that do.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1