Are you sure you want teachers with guns.?

Do you keep any loaded guns at home? If so, don't you spend a lot more time at home than in a classroom, and wouldn't that mean that you were far more likely to have a gun accident at home?

Yep. I have a loaded M1 carbine next to my nightstand in the bedroom and a Walther P38 in my desk in my office at home. Oh, many years ago I accidentally fired a 7.92mm Mauser through the ceiling of my bedroom at home. Stupid thing to do but accidents happen. I'm glad that accident didn't happen in a classroom.

And if that person shows up in your classroom and shoots you before you can get to your weapon, wouldn't you want one of your students (assuming we are talking college here) to be arm so that he could protect him/herself and the rest of the class?

I'm not sure I want some kid with 10 hours of CHL classes to be defending my class from a bad guy.

• Upvote 2

Yep. I have a loaded M1 carbine next to my nightstand in the bedroom and a Walther P38 in my desk in my office at home. Oh, many years ago I accidentally fired a 7.92mm Mauser through the ceiling of my bedroom at home. Stupid thing to do but accidents happen. I'm glad that accident didn't happen in a classroom.

I'm not sure I want some kid with 10 hours of CHL classes to be defending my class from a bad guy.

Again, no one is going to be actively handling a gun in your classroom, the gun will be holsterd. I'm assuming from the roof shot that the accident in your house didn't happen from a holstered weapon that was not being handled.

As for the bolded, if there was was someone in my classroom actively tryting to kill myself and my students, I would ABSOLUTELY take "some (armed) kid with 10 hours of CHL classes" over nothing at all.

And you are saying that you wouldn't?

Again, this is where it gets silly. "Some kid, classroom full of guns" Geez, this language is only rhetoric and not very good rhetoric, at that.

As a professor, I realize that if guns are permitted to be carried on campus, as they are permitted to be carried elsewhere...with largely no accidents, then I have a better chance against a "shooter" IF I'M CARRYING, than if I'm not. I won't depend on others, regardless of age or skill, to defend my life. This isn't the military and a concealed handler is not ordered to defend anyone's life.

• Upvote 3

Seems a lot of teachers agree with concealed carry:

http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/04/07/4755228/700-pack-free-concealed-handgun.html

And a local police chief led the class.

If you talk to most police officers, they will tell you that they WANT more law abiding citizens carrying weapons, as this police chief's involvement in this class demonstrates.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

If you talk to most police officers, they will tell you that they WANT more law abiding citizens carrying weapons, as this police chief's involvement in this class demonstrates.

So one police officer leading a CHL class demonstrates that most police officers want more concealed handguns in public venues?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Don't believe me. Ask one that you know. In a private discussion.

Every police officer I've asked (eight, I'll provide their names and phone numbers for you if you wish, UNT90), DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT want more guns on the street, even if they are LEGALLY PURCHASED and maintained.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Every police officer I've asked (eight, I'll provide their names and phone numbers for you if you wish, UNT90), DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT want more guns on the street, even if they are LEGALLY PURCHASED and maintained.

Don't believe this for a second.

Maybe if you talked to Lt. or above rank you got that answer, because it is the politically correct answer. Maybe if you asked the question in the manner of "hey, do you want more guns on the street?" You got that answer, because your question provided no context.

If you ask most rank and file officers if they are in favor of concealed carry for law abiding citizens, tge response would be a "hell yes."

And no, knowing your political slant, I do t trust you to ask this question in an honest way.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I am completely opposed to teachers carrying guns. Does anybody want the 60 year old English teacher carrying? I sure as heck don't.

What does age have to do with anything? We had a 70 something in our academy class and he out shot all of us and he was of very sound mind

Additionally, how would police/SWAT officers know who is the gunman and who is a vigilante citizen? Just more thoughts and questions that I don't have the answers to.

When we arrive on the scene and tell you to drop your weapon, you do so. You will be handcuffed until we establish you are one of the good guys. Plus I believe all school districts have their teachers wear ID's now.

We have had mass shootings at Ft. Hood (military base) where 1000's of guns are present and in Killeen at a restaurant (Lubys) which is near a military base. We had one notable college incident at UT about 50 years ago.

Unless I am mistaken, noone carries firearms on a military base except MP's and civillian police. As for the Luby's incident, there was not concealed carry at the time, which is why people were leaving their guns in their cars.

And snakes, everyone should have a healthy fear of snakes. I had a student walk in to my classroom one day with a bag of rattlesnakes that he had caught. Wish I had a gun at school that day.

Eff that, I'd take a flamethrower

Putting guns in the hands of teachers who don't want them, or shouldn't have, them is not the answer.

It's strictly voluntary.

I have worked at three different schools over the last 15 years. Each school has had at least one full time fully amed Police officer assigned to it's campus. There has not been a mass shooting at any of those schools. But there was also an armed security guard on the Columbine H.S. campus when the shooting that killed 15 took place.

I don't have a dog in this fight, just an FYI.

Not every school district has the luxary of having SROs. Also, when your life is on the line, waiting for police, even in a big city, seconds seem like hours. Even for that one police officer, or security guard, it's nice to have backup

Wow, 8? That's like a HUGE majority of the cops out there.

• Upvote 2