Sorry To bring this up again...

cdizzle86

The mistake made is thinking that you can't afford what will get the football program on track. That has the major problem here forever. The reality is you can't afford not to afford the right coach and facilities for your football program in this day and age.

And that is a lesson I still don't think the powers that be at UNT have fully grasped.

But remember we do not have wealthy donors. I seriously believe that if we had a Red Comb or a T Pickens to contribute a large amount of money for Athletics along with that money going into marketing, things could have been a whole lot different. Yes we have a large alumni in the metroplex but there has to be catalysis to get those 100,000 plus former NT students involved. By the way I am going to submit my $125 to the Mean Green Club today.

• Upvote 1

Most of us on this forum actually don't sit around and make up stories about who interviewed or who was interested on our HFC's job; in fact, most all info I've ever received as far as

"who did interview" or "who called about our job" came from an athletic department source every time. If i was going to be creative, I'd probably aim higher for new personnel who have the record and the reputation of having had success at an FBS level (and no NCAA probations under their watch as well). I am no longer close to the scene because I choose not to be close to the scene plus my weekend work as a wedding and all events DJ service, too. Still, the older you get, the less important some things in your life actually become.

Yet as a UNT grad, I am mostly intrigued (not in the usual way) with this non-stop lack of success or run we've had the last 2 or 3 decades in Denton; that is, how much longer our leaders will continue to botch hirings and to keep giving those botched hires extended contracts. Again, folks, I (and many others on GMG.com) have seen so few winning seasons since we graduated so I guess maybe the truth might just be on our side with this subject? I still keep hoping we will somehow stumble onto some successful hirings and when they leave for Big Time U we still keep that cycle going (a la Boise State) instead of this other quagmire most of us have seen most our adult lives. Sorry, I wish I could be more diplomatic or kiss A$$ about all this, but that is just not what I could ever comfortably do. I am hardly running for mayor of GMG.com. (Harry, is this board incorporated)? :)

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 3

When Dodge got hired, it was because of his name recognition in the area as a great winner at HS and because he was affordable. Nothing else mattered, since we had just bought out Dickey's contract and had nowhere near enough money to pay Harbaugh, who was said to want double what we paid Dodge, as a starting point. Jimbo Fisher is the really interesting name here, since he probably was the other finalist to Dodge, but he didn't have the name cachet that Dodge had at the time. Just as he did with Benford, RV was trying to hit a home run by hiring Dodge. At first, with the media coverage, supposed recruiting pickup, and the attendance for that first spring game, it appeared that we were on our way. Then we played Oklahoma as if they were Colleyville Heritage and lost a heartbreaker 79-10. Of course, after this, we basically got mudholed further for the next three-plus years under Dodge. Fisher probably would've have been a coach in the same vein as Coach Mac today, so who knows if that would've worked out here, although recruiting to Fouts and playing in the SBC probably wouldn't have made us contenders. Harbaugh needed interview experience, which we gave him. He knew that he was going to have a MWC or Pac job waiting for him soon, just no one imagined it was going to be so soon at Stanford. Harbaugh is a great coach, no doubt, and he would have been awesome here, just because he is such a great QB developer and handler. But we couldn't/wouldn't pay for him. Ironically, just four years later, we tripled the salary to get a head coach here in McCarney. As usual, we are always late to the FBS party.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1