Update on UTEP's new staff

Harry

Sean Kugler's staff has backgrounds from all corners of America, with all levels of experience, who all arrived in El Paso in different ways.

The thread that binds the staff is Kugler himself, and so it was Wednesday when two more assistants were unveiled.

Spencer Leftwich, a 25-year coaching veteran, whose son Mack was a top quarterback for North Allegheny High in the Pittsburgh area, and Kugler's first recruit to UTEP, will be the new offensive line coach.

Kugler's son Robert was an all-state offensive lineman for North Allegheny, protecting Mack.

The defensive line coach will be Andrew Browning, a 2006 graduate of Boise State, who was a star defensive tackle of the undefeated Bronco team Kugler coached on.

read more: http://www.currentargus.com/carlsbad-sports/ci_22344936/2-new-assistant-coaches-offer-experience-youth

And his son is their future QB!

That is cool that coach Leftwich and his son are going to be at the same school together. Good for them. I hope they adjust to EP okay. It's a bit of a culture shock but I always I had some fun living there and miss several restaurants. However, I am not a UTEP fan and I hope we destroy them...

A lot of ties to Boise State on this new staff. Very interesting to hear some of the comments on the local Sports Talk about how Boise looked at the “stars” rating for recruiting. Basically they acknowledged the need for ratings to keep the fans and services (Rivals, Scouts, etc.) happy, but they believed in looking at how the athletes fit into not only their system but just as, if not more important, was the type of “person” the recruit was.

• Upvote 1