Job Location:
Denton, TX
Job Category:
Posted:
January 4

University of North Texas

Assistant Coach - Football

Department Overview
UNT competes as a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and the Sun Belt Conference. North Texas' athletic programs are classified as NCAA Division I, the largest and highest division among all colleges and universities. The 46,000 square-foot Athletic Center located off South Bonnie Brae Street is the centerpiece of North Texas athletics. Athletics strives to conduct a competitive athletics program that promotes faculty, staff, student and community affiliation and participation with North Texas Athletics. Also, to provide facilities which attract the highest level of talent and allow student athletes to perform at the highest level in practice and in competition.

Job Description
The Assistant Football Coach, under the direct supervision of the Head Coach of the respective athletics team, is responsible for assisting the Head Coach in the management and administration of the sports program and team.

Responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to:
* Coaches practice sessions or workouts as assigned; may be assigned to work with a specific group of student athletes on a regular basis. Assists in coaching during athletic events. May assist in maintaining statistics and coordinating with officials.
* Maintains continual and thorough familiarity with all applicable NCAA, Conference, and University rules and regulations and complies with the same. Assists in briefing student athletes and monitoring adherence to above.
* Assists in scouting and recruiting activities; may be responsible for specific geographic area. Performs specific recruiting duties as assigned.
* May assist in the implementation of the academic program including monitoring of individual student athlete progress to ensure academic eligibility, enforcement of study hall program, and providing referrals to the appropriate University resources.
* Works with student athletes and monitors their adherence to rules and regulations concerning conduct, appearance, and punctuality.
* Works with Athletics sports medicine and strength and conditioning personnel, and with physicians as needed to implement team wellness and conditioning programs.
* May be responsible for coordinating one or more administrative functions as assigned.
* Speaks to service groups and alumni organizations as assigned.

Minimum Qualifications
The successful candiate will possess a Bachelors degree and one or more years of experience in coaching and/or playing in the respective sport, ideally at the intercollegiate Division I level.

Preferred Qualifications
The preferred candidate will possess a Masters degree.

Special Instructions to Applicants
Please submit a cover letter, resume and a list of three professional references with the online application.

For more information and to apply, visit: https://jobs.unt.edu

Read more: http://careers.insidehighered.com/university-north-texas/assistant-coach-football/job/463413

"one or more years of experience in coaching and/or playing in the respective sport, ideally at the intercollegiate Division I level."

Way to set the bar...

I think we all know this is just to satisfy the state laws.. You know you must interview at least three candidates and such. I'm sure Mac already has his guy in mind.
  • Upvote 1

MY Preferred Qualifications

The preferred candidate will have a minimum of ten years of collegiate experience and five years experience coaching at the FBS level and at least two postseason appearances. Previous conference titles is required. Preferred candidates will also possess post-season coaching experience at the high school level in the state of Texas. Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate excellent recruiting skills if he has a history of college recruits drafted by the NFL. Ability to adjust game plans at halftime is a big plus!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

MY Preferred Qualifications

The preferred candidate will have a minimum of ten years of collegiate experience and five years experience coaching at the FBS level and at least two postseason appearances. Previous conference titles is required. Preferred candidates will also possess post-season coaching experience at the high school level in the state of Texas. Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate excellent recruiting skills if he has a history of college recruits drafted by the NFL. Ability to adjust game plans at halftime is a big plus!

And if he was that good of a recruiter, do you think he would be

A. out of a job, and

B. mainly applying at North Texas?

He could have recruited a noticeable number of players who eventually went to the NFL. But if it was while he was coaching at a D-2 or 3 school, that would only mean that he picked up the cast offs from D-1 programs or players that D-1 schools wanted but couldn't get eligible.

I would be more impressed if he had talked kids that Sunbelt schools were recruiting into going to some Southland conference school...and some of THEM eventually went to the NFL.

I would also have him role play with me and an assistant, with us being the recruit and the recruit's parent, and present his sales pitch about coming to North Texas....instead of SMU.

Edited by SilverEagle

And if he was that good of a recruiter, do you think he would be

A. out of a job, and

B. mainly applying at North Texas?

He could have recruited a noticeable number of players who eventually went to the NFL. But if it was while he was coaching at a D-2 or 3 school, that would only mean that he picked up the cast offs from D-1 programs or players that D-1 schools wanted but couldn't get eligible.

I would be more impressed if he had talked kids that Sunbelt schools were recruiting into going to some Southland conference school...and some of THEM eventually went to the NFL.

I would also have him role play with me and an assistant, with us being the recruit and the recruit's parent, and present his sales pitch about coming to North Texas....instead of SMU.

Good points Silver. I might add, the coaching candidate may want to brush up on the history of UNT football, it's great players and bowl history. Our last bowl game was what, roughly 10 years ago. These recruits were on 8 or 9 years old the last time we went to a bowl.

• Upvote 1

Only GMG.com would pick apart and criticize a job posting. Good Lord this is going to be a long, long off season .

Actually the job description is very generic. What I was addressing one of the requirements that Flyer would put in the job description.

However, I think that addressing the generic-ness of the job description is pretty important. I suppose all State of Texas university job descriptions are this generic, but I have always been hopeful that whoever the hiring person is, they find a way to tailor it to the unique needs of our program.......assuming that the person doing the hiring understands them themselves. I have often wondered, because the assistants are the ones that have more contact with the players than anyone else.

You want a generic job description. The more detail you include, the more likely you may screen someone out that you would be interested in. Say you ask for 5 years experience and then you really have one with four years you would like to consider, you have left yourself open for a possible grievance. These are minimal qualifications. Let the ones whose job depends on the selection to make the decision.

• Upvote 2