OL Breyun Owens, South Grand Prairie, commits to UTSA

GrayEagle

"Highly-rated"? He had two stars from Rivals, and is unrated by ESPN. We and UTSA were by far his best offers.

True, he had only two stars from Rivals but this is what 247 Sports, another major recruiting analyst had to say:

"Breyun Owens is a 6-3, 295-pound Offensive Guard from Grand Prairie, TX. He is ranked No. 687 in the country by 247 Sports.

Owens is the No. 110 recruit in Texas and the No. 29 Offensive Guard in the nation.

Owens has a 247 Sports rating of 86, making him a 3-star prospect."

As to not being rated by ESPN, seven of our nine commitments were not rated by ESPN.

Edited by GrayEagle

I think we are good on O-Linemen right now but congrats to the kid. If we get poached we may come calling again.

Harry, you know my feelings on linemen. We can never recruit too many top quality lineman for both sides of the ball. Prior to McCarney taking over, not being deep with quality linemen has been our achilles heel for years.

• Upvote 1

True, he had only two stars from Rivals but this is what 247 Sports, another major recruiting analyst had to say:

"Breyun Owens is a 6-3, 295-pound Offensive Guard from Grand Prairie, TX. He is ranked No. 687 in the country by 247 Sports.

Owens is the No. 110 recruit in Texas and the No. 29 Offensive Guard in the nation.

As to not being rated by ESPN, seven of our nine commitments were not rated by ESPN.

I guess I find it hard to think of someone lightly regarded or unrated by both Rivals and ESPN as highly-rated. 24/7 is kind of a johnny-come-lately . . . they have some good video footage, but I am not sure how serious to take them at this point. As far as ranking him the #29 OG (they currently show his as #31), they have only evaluated 117 guards.

I'm sure he's a pretty good player, but I'm skeptical as to whether his UNT offer was still good. As Harry alluded to, we've already got 4 O-linemen in this class . . . it would have to be a very special player to add to that number.

• Upvote 1

I think NT is set at OL unless they can get a real blue chip.

FYI, 247 rated their top 250 in Texas as 3 stars or better in last years class, not very meaningful. However, even with those ratings; NT didn't sign many 3's on their list.

• Upvote 1

Programs such as Cal, UCLA, North Texas, and Oklahoma had been in contact and were still evaluating the lineman.

That, and his comments about choosing UTSA because he wanted to be close to his brother in Grand Prairie, make it sound like we never offered him.

• Upvote 1

Agree with Harry, another area of need is WR

Why hasn't Carlos Harris played? Mac mentioned he would see the field quite a bit this year, but, without looking at the stats, I don't remember him catching anything this year.

I do agree with WR. We need speed at WR, because outside of Chancellor we have a load of possession type receivers, but nobody to really stretch the field.

• Upvote 1

We need big tall fast defensive ends!!

I like the size of our defensive ends from our 2012 class, and even more I like the fact that all three are getting the chance to redshirt. We definitely have room for some d-end and d-tackles in this class. Coach Mac really has built up the depth on this roster very well despite being low on scholarship players, which allows us to be picky with the rest of our scholarships for the 2013 class. Because of this depth look for quality over quantity with this class going forward.

I like the size of our defensive ends from our 2012 class, and even more I like the fact that all three are getting the chance to redshirt. We definitely have room for some d-end and d-tackles in this class. Coach Mac really has built up the depth on this roster very well despite being low on scholarship players, which allows us to be picky with the rest of our scholarships for the 2013 class. Because of this depth look for quality over quantity with this class going forward.

Agree. I'd like to see a total of 6-8 Dlinemen per class.

Agree. I'd like to see a total of 6-8 Dlinemen per class.

So would I . . . if we were able to sign 30 scholarship players per class. 6-8 D-linemen is just not a realistic number when you only get 25 schollies a year to fill a roster. An average of 5 or 6 D-linemen per year is about the max, realistically speaking.

Just make those 5 or 6 count.

So would I . . . if we were able to sign 30 scholarship players per class. 6-8 D-linemen is just not a realistic number when you only get 25 schollies a year to fill a roster. An average of 5 or 6 D-linemen per year is about the max, realistically speaking.

Just make those 5 or 6 count.

Which we can do now. Make them count that is. Getting quality d-lineman to come to UNT is easier said than done. Coach Mac is well on his way to changing that, but for now that is the truth.