Coach Forrest

untlynchka

As Tasty has written in the past, most of the best mid majors have hired from within when their coaches left. Stevens, Smart, Few are some of the best examples of this (and I believe the three guys they replaced were ALSO assistants at those respective schools before they had their opportunity as well).

• Upvote 1

As Tasty has written in the past, most of the best mid majors have hired from within when their coaches left. Stevens, Smart, Few are some of the best examples of this (and I believe the three guys they replaced were ALSO assistants at those respective schools before they had their opportunity as well).

Not necessarily the best, but the ones that are consistently exceptional. Memphis has done both the outside hire and promote-from-within process, and they do pretty well for themselves.

I was one of the first and loudest guys banging the drum to promote Coach Forrest. And I still think he could be a very good head coach for us (or someone else, somewhere down the line). But the potential for catastrophe with him and JJ departing isn't as terrifying, to me at least, as it appeared to be earlier in the week.

I'd still love to see him get his shot here, with this team that he played such a large role in assembling. But the main things I wanted to make sure we didn't lose (team continuity, area connections, and recruiting above our station) could potentially come from an outside hire. Potentially in even greater measure than what we'd get by sticking with Forrest as an inside hire.

If we don't promote him (and it seems very likely that we won't), it's likely because we'll bring in someone from outside that offers everything Coach Forrest could bring plus a proven track record as a head coach.

I think someone else (maybe LSU, maybe K-State, maybe someone else) will wind up with a phenomenal recruiter and assistant, and some other program is going to get a very talented and dynamic head coach some day.

As long as we have a coach next week/month that can make us succeed next year and continue to bring in the level of talent that our previous coaching staff was providing... We'll be fine.

I'm probably Forrest's biggest fan , but I think If Im JJ I give that job to Randy Livingston

I don't think Foy is going. Any idea about Charlie? JJ could still hire Livingston because in the bigger schools, the basketball operations person coordinates recruiting. Since recruiting is Forrest's strength, then he might take that role.

• Upvote 1