FAU Staying In The Sun Belt

MeanGreen61

I am sorry UNT fans, but this FIU fan can no longer be silent. I have seen quite a few remarks on this forum about how FAU is a better fit for "The Alliance," than FIU. How our facilities are second rate, how our fan base is non-existent, and even some disparaging comments regarding our academics.

Firstly, I'd like to point out that FIU has outdrawn FAU the last two seasons. We had comparable attendance to UNT this season, keeping in mind that you had one game that drew nearly 30,000 people. Remove the Houston game from the equation and we actually had better average attendance. As is neither FAU, FIU or UNT drew as well as ULL, and when the difference in attendance is 300-400 people it isn't worth mentioning.

All this talk about our facilities being second rate is absolute nonsense. Our stadium does have a pressbox, it has 20 skyboxes, is being expanded to just shy of 30,000 seats, and will eventually have even more extensive skybox and concourse level facilities. Neither your stadium or our's is Bryant-Denny, so let's not pretend that there is some huge gulf in the quality of either stadium. Thought I will say, your stadium is very nice.

Furthermore, our strength and conditioning facilities and athletic training facilities are second-to-none in the SBC and are on par with many AQ's.

Finally, as far as academics are concerned, with the exception of Denver, we have consistently been rated by multiple publications as the top university in the SBC. We have over 3,000 professors for nearly 48,000 students, a budget of over one-billion dollars, and over $42 million in annual giving versus $7.5 million for FAU.

It goes without saying that we are better positioned, both athletically and academically, than FAU for "The Alliance," and belong in the conversation just as much as UNT.

It's actually really nice when SBC outsiders speak up. Thanks for throwing that out there.

I don't know if the press/skybox is what is really the make-or-break argument regarding your stadium. Regardless of those and the attendance capacity, I've heard it is an eyesore. Would you say that is incorrect?

A few points:

How do you foresee your attendance growing? I think that is going to be really important. We have comparable attendance numbers, but you're coming off bowl game success. We're are coming 5 wins and the Dodge era.

While you are expanding your stadium - basically putting lipstick on a pig - we have rebuilt everything, can hang our hat on men's bball and a resurgant women's bball program. And it won't be long before we finally get that baseball program up and running in one of the best markets for that sport.

Another thing you have to deal with - whether you like it or not - is Miami's reputation as a fickle fanbase. Worse than Dallas! Even The Hurricanes can't put butts in seats with their history.

Lastly and maybe most importantly: how do the decision-makers feel about the markets? Does Miami have more to offer than DFW for their intents and purposes?

Thanks for chiming in.

It's actually really nice when SBC outsiders speak up. Thanks for throwing that out there.

I don't know if the press/skybox is what is really the make-or-break argument regarding your stadium. Regardless of those and the attendance capacity, I've heard it is an eyesore. Would you say that is incorrect?

A few points:

How do you foresee your attendance growing? I think that is going to be really important. We have comparable attendance numbers, but you're coming off bowl game success. We're are coming 5 wins and the Dodge era.

While you are expanding your stadium - basically putting lipstick on a pig - we have rebuilt everything, can hang our hat on men's bball and a resurgant women's bball program. And it won't be long before we finally get that baseball program up and running in one of the best markets for that sport.

Another thing you have to deal with - whether you like it or not - is Miami's reputation as a fickle fanbase. Worse than Dallas! Even The Hurricanes can't put butts in seats with their history.

Lastly and maybe most importantly: how do the decision-makers feel about the markets? Does Miami have more to offer than DFW for their intents and purposes?

Thanks for chiming in.

The eyesore part is the old bleachers, which are being removed, and the lack of "skining" on the stadium. Fact is that all stadiums that are being built these days are basically "erector sets," as someone who works in the development field I can simply say it is the cheapest and most efficient way to build. The plans call for expansion up to 45,000 seats, roughly 45 skyboxes, and a decoritive facade to skin the stadium. Much like the brick facade on most of Apogee, no stadium today is built from cement. While your skybox area is indeed built of "brick and mortar," most of your stadium is simply metal on a cement foundation. Frankly it isn't a big enough difference to deter anyone from considering a team for conference expansion.

Our attendance has grown year-to-year by about 3,000 people, with 48,000 students and 180,000 alums it shouldn't be that hard to draw enough people to eventually fill the 45,000 seat finished stadium. Keep in mind that many people who attend UM aren't from Miami, their stadium isn't on campus, and most "UM fans" in Miami have no connection to any college. In regards to your comparable attendance numbers, we saw a boost in our first season in the new stadium, coming off a 3-9 season and 1-23 in the two years before that. The first year in a new stadium always sees a boost, sustained success simply grows the number of people coming. You also have a much longer history of playing football than we do. There are people that actually grew up with UNT football, the same cannot be said for FIU.

We are continuing to upgrade our basketball arena, our women's team is very successful and our men's team will eventually get a competent coach. Our baseball stadium is one of the best mid-sized parks in the country, and we have consistently been bringing in top recruits while going to regionals in back-to-back years and being in two conference finals and winning one in the last two years. Safe to say that, with the exception of men's basketball, our athletic department has shown sustained success in multiple sports.

We also recently hired Kenny Arena, the son of LA Galaxy coach Bruce Arena, and a former assistant at UCLA as well as the U-16 squad coach for the LA Galaxy, which won the youth national title this past season. That particular hire has been talked about by many in the soccer world.

I don't see it as Miami vs DFW, the point that was being made on here originally is that FAU is a better candidate than FIU. I think both FIU and UNT are excellent candidates for The Alliance, and I think both are being considered. To answer your question though, Miami has basically the same things to offer as DFW. Big city, big metro area, a lot of major corporations, fertile recruiting grounds, etc. We also have a robust tourism industry that makes the prospect of new bowl games and conference tournaments in Miami very attractive, especially for sports like baseball and soccer where we are tops in producing future college and professional talent.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I am sorry UNT fans, but this FIU fan can no longer be silent. I have seen quite a few remarks on this forum about how FAU is a better fit for "The Alliance," than FIU. How our facilities are second rate, how our fan base is non-existent, and even some disparaging comments regarding our academics.

Firstly, I'd like to point out that FIU has outdrawn FAU the last two seasons. We had comparable attendance to UNT this season, keeping in mind that you had one game that drew nearly 30,000 people. Remove the Houston game from the equation and we actually had better average attendance. As is neither FAU, FIU or UNT drew as well as ULL, and when the difference in attendance is 300-400 people it isn't worth mentioning.

All this talk about our facilities being second rate is absolute nonsense. Our stadium does have a pressbox, it has 20 skyboxes, is being expanded to just shy of 30,000 seats, and will eventually have even more extensive skybox and concourse level facilities. Neither your stadium or our's is Bryant-Denny, so let's not pretend that there is some huge gulf in the quality of either stadium. Thought I will say, your stadium is very nice.

Furthermore, our strength and conditioning facilities and athletic training facilities are second-to-none in the SBC and are on par with many AQ's.

Finally, as far as academics are concerned, with the exception of Denver, we have consistently been rated by multiple publications as the top university in the SBC. We have over 3,000 professors for nearly 48,000 students, a budget of over one-billion dollars, and over $42 million in annual giving versus $7.5 million for FAU.

It goes without saying that we are better positioned, both athletically and academically, than FAU for "The Alliance," and belong in the conversation just as much as UNT.

Whoa buddy, when I post on your message board I am fair game. The truth is I have never figured out FIU's academics, FIU has good academic stats but have in effect a community college as one of their divisions. Are those students part of the statistics submitted and what percentage of the students get in this way? Not a gig, I just wonder; it seems to me questionable that FIU has 48,000 students yet fairly stringent academic standards. Maybe everyone in Florida is just smarter. Academics is something that is always talked about but has little bearing on any selections.

As far as attendance, again those numbers are so often fabricated; I wonder why anyone bothers. As far as the football stadium, there is sure a lot of smoke if there is no fire. I have heard multiple people who have been there complain about the facility. Anyway, NT is only one year removed from Fouts, so I am not sure why anyone would make a big point out the stadium.

Here is what I think so you can enlighten me to all my errors. FIU has little financial support other then being one of the heaviest supported athletic department by student fees. The attendance is very weak, no matter what numbers you quote. FIU is having a good run in football and like NT is part of a very large market. Obviously, FIU is a leading candidate for the alliance. I don't think FIU compares well with NT, but neither is a sure thing. NT has better facilities and a better overall athletic program and although NT has a long way to go; it is better supported than FIU. As far as a comparison with FAU, I think most outside Florida at least think of the two schools as very similar. I am sure they are not as close, as most think, but most of us know that FAU has a new stadium and that is enough to till the scale in their favor.

Whoa buddy, when I post on your message board I am fair game. The truth is I have never figured out FIU's academics, FIU has good academic stats but have in effect a community college as one of their divisions. Are those students part of the statistics submitted and what percentage of the students get in this way? Not a gig, I just wonder; it seems to me questionable that FIU has 48,000 students yet fairly stringent academic standards. Maybe everyone in Florida is just smarter. Academics is something that is always talked about but has little bearing on any selections.

As far as attendance, again those numbers are so often fabricated; I wonder why anyone bothers. As far as the football stadium, there is sure a lot of smoke if there is no fire. I have heard multiple people who have been there complain about the facility. Anyway, NT is only one year removed from Fouts, so I am not sure why anyone would make a big point out the stadium.

Here is what I think so you can enlighten me to all my errors. FIU has little financial support other then being one of the heaviest supported athletic department by student fees. The attendance is very weak, no matter what numbers you quote. FIU is having a good run in football and like NT is part of a very large market. Obviously, FIU is a leading candidate for the alliance. I don't think FIU compares well with NT, but neither is a sure thing. NT has better facilities and a better overall athletic program and although NT has a long way to go; it is better supported than FIU. As far as a comparison with FAU, I think most outside Florida at least think of the two schools as very similar. I am sure they are not as close, as most think, but most of us know that FAU has a new stadium and that is enough to till the scale in their favor.

FIU, like all state universities, allows students who graduated from community colleges to enroll in the school, therefore we get a lot of students who graduate from MDC that then enroll in FIU. Many prominent Miamians that also happen to be FIU alums have taken this route, and MDC is generally considered a very good CC. We aren't talking about taking C students either, these are mostly A and B students. Keep in mind MDC has roughly 165,000 students.

There wasn't a pressbox two years ago, that is where this whole story comes from. That problem has since been rectified and there are now two press facilies on the east and west ends of the stadium, as well as a smaller box in the middle that I know for a fact has been used for television broadcasts.

I actually do take umbrage with the idea that our numbers are inflated. That might have been true in past seasons, especially the 3-9 2009 season, but in 2011 we most certainly did put butts in seats. Once again, neither us or UNT drew like ULL did this year, so that is a poor argument. I would also call into question the statement that NT is a better athletic program. I have seen on this board that "athletic fees" are being increased by up to 50% precisely to cover budget gaps and make the school more competitive. We have seen increased ticket sales, sponsorships, and donations, the support base is growing, and that is undeniable.

I also think the two departments not comparing well is bogus. Your department had a massive seven-million dollar shortfall in 09-10, something we've never come close to. Furthermore, while you have been more successful in basketball, we have done better in football as of late, and just signed our best recruiting class in program history. We have been quite successful in a number of women's sports, like volleyball and basketball, and have been very successful in baseball. Our biggest sore spot is men's basketball, can't say too much about that except we need a better coach.

The idea that people recognize FAU's new stadium, while failing to recognize that FIU has been to back-to-back bowl games, won a conference championship, and was on ESPN half-a-dozen times last year is ludicrous. You can believe that if you want, but it doesn't make it true.

I've never said that it is either FIU or UNT, I think both FIU and UNT are going to The Alliance, my point of contention is with those who would say that FIU and FAU are comparable institutions, they aren't.

I am pretty sure I differentiated between the pressbox/skybox area, which you just posted a picture of, and the rest of the stadium.

No, the pressbox area had not yet been reached in that photo. That is the alumni side of the stadium, and the student side is of similar construction. Only the endzone wing section is metal.

No, the pressbox area had not yet been reached in that photo. That is the alumni side of the stadium, and the student side is of similar construction. Only the endzone wing section is metal.

In that case 79 million in Denton goes a lot further than 70 million in Boca.

Ultimately I hope we do replace our stadium with something similar to the Sammy Ofer sports complex in Haifa, Israel.

Edited by JulesFIU07

Much like the brick facade on most of Apogee, no stadium today is built from cement. While your skybox area is indeed built of "brick and mortar," most of your stadium is simply metal on a cement foundation.

No, it's not. Apogee is a concrete stadium that will stand for 1000 years.

Pink Panther stadium will be wiped off the map when the next hurricane blows through.

Edited by UNTflyer
  • Upvote 2

I was there at this last seasons FIU game and made a couple of observations...

1.) The Media setup at FIU is horrible. When it was raining directly on top of our own media team (merely covered by a small tarp) it left a very bad taste in their mouth. You can see below how the cameras are on top of the "press/suite" area and how they are exposed to the elements

FIU_Stadium.JPG

2.) FIU's campus is beautiful....but not in a traditional college campus sense with the entire campus being new and of modern design. I just simply prefer something more traditional styled.

3.) I saw a ton of FIU stickers out in Miami which I believe means that the parking passes are on the back of the persons car which then doubles as a bumper sticker.... solid idea.

With that being said.... you can expand out the stadium if you like but the erector set style will still be noticed. I would prefer to see a concrete home side with erector on the sides (student section) and away side. Build a towering 3 level concrete structure for Media, Suites and a designated club level and that will set you up for success.

The basketball stadium is a different story and is slightly larger than a high school gym.

199bb019c0cfccd35a19847551d16c79c83ae02a.jpg-590x1000.png

I do like your school and I think that it will blossom into the next USF or UCF for sure but it will need to be with some improvement to your facilities.

I was there at this last seasons FIU game and made a couple of observations...

1.) The Media setup at FIU is horrible. When it was raining directly on top of our own media team (merely covered by a small tarp) it left a very bad taste in their mouth. You can see below how the cameras are on top of the "press/suite" area and how they are exposed to the elements

FIU_Stadium.JPG

2.) FIU's campus is beautiful....but not in a traditional college campus sense with the entire campus being new and of modern design. I just simply prefer something more traditional styled.

3.) I saw a ton of FIU stickers out in Miami which I believe means that the parking passes are on the back of the persons car which then doubles as a bumper sticker.... solid idea.

With that being said.... you can expand out the stadium if you like but the erector set style will still be noticed. I would prefer to see a concrete home side with erector on the sides (student section) and away side. Build a towering 3 level concrete structure for Media, Suites and a designated club level and that will set you up for success.

The basketball stadium is a different story and is slightly larger than a high school gym.

199bb019c0cfccd35a19847551d16c79c83ae02a.jpg-590x1000.png

I do like your school and I think that it will blossom into the next USF or UCF for sure but it will need to be with some improvement to your facilities.

The cameras are exposed to the elements, which actually isn't unusual in a stadium. That picture is outdated as the "box" to the far left of the picture is now closed. I'd love to have an all poured concrete stadium, however that would probaby cost $120-150 million. The basketball arena, which is undergoing improvements, is pretty standard for a 1980's era basketball arena. The size itself isn't the biggest issue, it can hold around 5,000 people, it is the asthetics.

This is a bit aspirational, but I'd ultimately like to see an arena built on the south east corner of the current Miami-Dade Fair Grounds after they are incorporated into the campus as future student village, and a poured cement stadium with other facilities built where Tamiami Park now is.

• Upvote 1

FIU, like all state universities, allows students who graduated from community colleges to enroll in the school, therefore we get a lot of students who graduate from MDC that then enroll in FIU. Many prominent Miamians that also happen to be FIU alums have taken this route, and MDC is generally considered a very good CC. We aren't talking about taking C students either, these are mostly A and B students. Keep in mind MDC has roughly 165,000 students.

There wasn't a pressbox two years ago, that is where this whole story comes from. That problem has since been rectified and there are now two press facilies on the east and west ends of the stadium, as well as a smaller box in the middle that I know for a fact has been used for television broadcasts.

I actually do take umbrage with the idea that our numbers are inflated. That might have been true in past seasons, especially the 3-9 2009 season, but in 2011 we most certainly did put butts in seats. Once again, neither us or UNT drew like ULL did this year, so that is a poor argument. I would also call into question the statement that NT is a better athletic program. I have seen on this board that "athletic fees" are being increased by up to 50% precisely to cover budget gaps and make the school more competitive. We have seen increased ticket sales, sponsorships, and donations, the support base is growing, and that is undeniable.

I also think the two departments not comparing well is bogus. Your department had a massive seven-million dollar shortfall in 09-10, something we've never come close to. Furthermore, while you have been more successful in basketball, we have done better in football as of late, and just signed our best recruiting class in program history. We have been quite successful in a number of women's sports, like volleyball and basketball, and have been very successful in baseball. Our biggest sore spot is men's basketball, can't say too much about that except we need a better coach.

The idea that people recognize FAU's new stadium, while failing to recognize that FIU has been to back-to-back bowl games, won a conference championship, and was on ESPN half-a-dozen times last year is ludicrous. You can believe that if you want, but it doesn't make it true.

I've never said that it is either FIU or UNT, I think both FIU and UNT are going to The Alliance, my point of contention is with those who would say that FIU and FAU are comparable institutions, they aren't.

Check the all Belt sports ratings for the last decade and tell me, FIU is close to NT in overall athletics. I never said anything specifically about FIU's attendance, only that those numbers overall seem to be substantially overstated. Not sure you can successfully argue what someone's else's perception is. I am aware FIU is in a good run in football, but that sure didn't help NT when UTEP was picked over them to go to CUSU. NT had won at the time 3 straight Belt championship and UTEP had historically about the worst football record in the NCAA. You asked if I recall why some thought that FAU was a better candidate than FIU, I gave you an answer. You don't have to like it, but the perception is that FIU does not have the facilities that FAU does, and winning football teams most know tend to come and go.

By the way I have heard the story many times by NT and others that their facilities other than the stadium are on a par with the AQ teams and it maybe true for the bottom level of the AQS but I think it is mostly boaster because most fans have never see the facilities at the UT, A&M, Florida, and the real "haves" of college athletics.

FIU and NT comparing finances is on the surface foolish. However, you did not dispute that FIU is one of the heaviest supported athletic departments by student fees. By the way with the stadium construction completed, NT fees were raised 7 bucks an hour to 10 total. That has been in effect for less than a year, and would not likely be included in any reported stats if ever because most of it is going toward the debt service cost of Apogee Stadium. There are maybe twenty schools that play FB football that are not heavily dependent on institutional transfers, state funds or student fees. FIU on the stats you are quoting gets millions of more dollars than NT directly from student fees, so if that makes you feel better, great.

Other than FIU, being a much younger university and particularly in football; NT and FIU have a lot in common; not necessarily a good thing. They are both in huge metropolitan areas but on the athletic field are viewed as secondary citizens to the powers in the state. Even though both have very large student populations and alum basis, they struggle at attendance and getting attention in sports. Both are very viable candidates for the alliance primarily because of potential and being located in highly populated areas.

Despite what many of the CUSA and MWC seem to think, the Alliance current teams are at best a tiny step better than the Belt schools. I think at least half of the Belt schools would be almost immediately competitive in the new Alliance. However, on a perception basis it would be a great move for any Belt team. Those advocating the Belt is a better conference to be in, are mostly fans from teams that are not supposed to be serious candidates. Good luck to FIU, I certainly wouldn't complain if NT and FIU both ended up in the new Alliance.

• Upvote 1

Check the all Belt sports ratings for the last decade and tell me, FIU is close to NT in overall athletics. I never said anything specifically about FIU's attendance, only that those numbers overall seem to be substantially overstated. Not sure you can successfully argue what someone's else's perception is. I am aware FIU is in a good run in football, but that sure didn't help NT when UTEP was picked over them to go to CUSU. NT had won at the time 3 straight Belt championship and UTEP had historically about the worst football record in the NCAA. You asked if I recall why some thought that FAU was a better candidate than FIU, I gave you an answer. You don't have to like it, but the perception is that FIU does not have the facilities that FAU does, and winning football teams most know tend to come and go.

By the way I have heard the story many times by NT and others that their facilities other than the stadium are on a par with the AQ teams and it maybe true for the bottom level of the AQS but I think it is mostly boaster because most fans have never see the facilities at the UT, A&M, Florida, and the real "haves" of college athletics.

FIU and NT comparing finances is on the surface foolish. However, you did not dispute that FIU is one of the heaviest supported athletic departments by student fees. By the way with the stadium construction completed, NT fees were raised 7 bucks an hour to 10 total. That has been in effect for less than a year, and would not likely be included in any reported stats if ever because most of it is going toward the debt service cost of Apogee Stadium. There are maybe twenty schools that play FB football that are not heavily dependent on institutional transfers, state funds or student fees. FIU on the stats you are quoting gets millions of more dollars than NT directly from student fees, so if that makes you feel better, great.

Other than FIU, being a much younger university and particularly in football; NT and FIU have a lot in common; not necessarily a good thing. They are both in huge metropolitan areas but on the athletic field are viewed as secondary citizens to the powers in the state. Even though both have very large student populations and alum basis, they struggle at attendance and getting attention in sports. Both are very viable candidates for the alliance primarily because of potential and being located in highly populated areas.

Despite what many of the CUSA and MWC seem to think, the Alliance current teams are at best a tiny step better than the Belt schools. I think at least half of the Belt schools would be almost immediately competitive in the new Alliance. However, on a perception basis it would be a great move for any Belt team. Those advocating the Belt is a better conference to be in, are mostly fans from teams that are not supposed to be serious candidates. Good luck to FIU, I certainly wouldn't complain if NT and FIU both ended up in the new Alliance.

Most of FIU's progress in athletics has been over the last six years. Prior to Pete Garcia taking over, our athletic department was a joke, however in that time frame we have covered an awful lot of ground. Given that UNT has had college athletics since 1913, long before FIU was even in existence, we have definitely created overall institutional parity within that time. Once again, it was mentioned on here that fees were being raised to make the department more competitive with other AD's. Fact of the matter is that most every non-AQ relies heavily on student fees to make their departments work. If you really want to take shots at us for that, fine, but there are plenty of schools that pay more per student than we do, FAU included

The idea that the stadium alone is what makes FAU "better" than FIU is just laughable. They are a smaller department, with less income (despite having higher students fees than FIU), and in a smaller media market. And yes, UF's Heavener Field House is better than our R. Kirk Landon, but the difference in size between FSU's weight room and our's is a mere 700 sq ft, so the facility itself matches up with most AQ's, just not the very top of the college world. However I was never comparing FIU with UF, I was comparing FIU with peer institutions in the SBC and said that, overall, our facilities are on par with our peers and some of our facilities even match what is seen at some AQ's.

Anyway, I have said over and over again that I think both FIU and UNT will be invited to The Alliance, my point of contention is that FAU is a more viable candidate than FIU.

Most of FIU's progress in athletics has been over the last six years. Prior to Pete Garcia taking over, our athletic department was a joke, however in that time frame we have covered an awful lot of ground. Given that UNT has had college athletics since 1913, long before FIU was even in existence, we have definitely created overall institutional parity within that time. Once again, it was mentioned on here that fees were being raised to make the department more competitive with other AD's. Fact of the matter is that most every non-AQ relies heavily on student fees to make their departments work. If you really want to take shots at us for that, fine, but there are plenty of schools that pay more per student than we do, FAU included

The idea that the stadium alone is what makes FAU "better" than FIU is just laughable. They are a smaller department, with less income (despite having higher students fees than FIU), and in a smaller media market. And yes, UF's Heavener Field House is better than our R. Kirk Landon, but the difference in size between FSU's weight room and our's is a mere 700 sq ft, so the facility itself matches up with most AQ's, just not the very top of the college world. However I was never comparing FIU with UF, I was comparing FIU with peer institutions in the SBC and said that, overall, our facilities are on par with our peers and some of our facilities even match what is seen at some AQ's.

Anyway, I have said over and over again that I think both FIU and UNT will be invited to The Alliance, my point of contention is that FAU is a more viable candidate than FIU.

I guess we can keep this going forever. How many times do I have to said that the reason many thought FAU was a better candidate was facilities. I will make this as plain as I can for you seem to not easily grasp the concept. I like most everyone that posts on this site, have not taken tours of FAU and FIU athletic facilitates, and frankly have no desire to. FAU has a new football stadium, FIU does not, that is what drives the perception that FAU is ahead in facilities. I frankly don't care how big FIU weight room is. FIU may have superior facilites in every other facet of the athletic structure, but the football stadium is by far the most prominent. Something that NT has lived with for decades until last year, even though it's other facilities were for the vast majority of venues better than average for a non-AQ University.

As for as athletic fees, I think your statement above is about the same as mine. Most athletic departments are supported by something other than donations, ticket revenues, advertising, conference distributions and game guarantees. Some get state funds, other rely on students or the very unidentifiable institutional transfers which in most cases are state funds and student fees. For my curiosity, I did look up defined athletic fees and found that you are correct; there are some much higher than FIU on a per student basis; although my guess as I read years ago that FIU may remain the highest in total dollars. You are also correct that FAU are higher at least in this report based on 2010-2011. On an annual basis FAU got 493.50 per student compared to FIU's 473.70. Other Belt schools listed in this report were ASU at 288.00, Middle Tennessee 350.00 and NT 167.50. For the record, there are several that report over a $1,000 per student per year.

Obviously, at this point, FAU has announced that they are not a candidate for the Alliance., therefore I wonder why you care why some thought they were a better choice.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2

I guess we can keep this going forever. How many times do I have to said that the reason many thought FAU was a better candidate was facilities. I will make this as plain as I can for you seem to not easily grasp the concept. I like most everyone that posts on this site, have not taken tours of FAU and FIU athletic facilitates, and frankly have no desire to. FAU has a new football stadium, FIU does not, that is what drives the perception that FAU is ahead in facilities. I frankly don't care how big FIU weight room is. FIU may have superior facilites in every other facet of the athletic structure, but the football stadium is by far the most prominent. Something that NT has lived with for decades until last year, even though it's other facilities were for the vast majority of venues better than average for a non-AQ University.

As for as athletic fees, I think your statement above is about the same as mine. Most athletic departments are supported by something other than donations, ticket revenues, advertising, conference distributions and game guarantees. Some get state funds, other rely on students or the very unidentifiable institutional transfers which in most cases are state funds and student fees. For my curiosity, I did look up defined athletic fees and found that you are correct; there are some much higher than FIU on a per student basis; although my guess as I read years ago that FIU may remain the highest in total dollars. You are also correct that FAU are higher at least in this report based on 2010-2011. On an annual basis FAU got 493.50 per student compared to FIU's 473.70. Other Belt schools listed in this report were ASU at 288.00, Middle Tennessee 350.00 and NT 167.50. For the record, there are several that report over a $1,000 per student per year.

Obviously, at this point, FAU has announced that they are not a candidate for the Alliance., therefore I wonder why you care why some thought they were a better choice.

I know they announced they aren't a candidate, as to why I care? It is simple, I saw people coming up with multiple reasons why my school isn't good enough. Be it stadium, fan support, revenues, or academics, there seemed to be a concerted effort to say FIU is not good enough. I came on here to say that we are good enough. That our athletic department is really no different than that of UNT, MTSU or WKU. Furthermore, that academically we are just as good, and probably better than most schools in the Belt. That's fine if you percieve FAU as being better than FIU because of their new stadium, nevermind our's is being expanded, but ultimately what matters in expansion is performance and media market. FAU was never truly in the running because their market is too small and they have been a perenial loser for the last three years.

Actually UCF, in terms of total dollar amount, takes in more than we do, though it is a smaller percentage of their overall income.

• Downvote 2

I will say that I have visited both campuses and FIU seems to have more school spirit than FAU, but the Owls have the new palace. I say bring in FIU so we can eat on Calle Ocho every other year and party on South Beach. This year we need to get a big contingent of GREEN to visit Fort Lauderdale and Boca this fall. That is a sweet destination as well so we need to go see them once at their new place and do a Western Kentucky and beat them down with a big Green pigskin.

GMG