WKU Coach Fired

KoldBeer

Kige Ramsey is PISSED right now on FB because the local affiliate is not preempting The View for live coverage of the firing.

I've never been so happy to check someone else's stupid sent FB message then right when I saw that gem.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Western Kentucky has dismissed Ken McDonald after 5-11 start.

McDonald was in his fourth season as head coach, but a 5-11 record -- and the resulting drop in home attendance -- led to his dismissal.

Athletics director Ross Bjork said in a lengthy statement that he felt McDonald deserved the opportunity to "begin positive trends" after the Hilltoppers went 16-16 last season. However, he added that "the plan has not worked out."

"We have a 5-11 record and do not rank in the nation's top 200 in virtually any statistical category. This is not what the WKU basketball program should represent," Bjork's statement said. "While we pride ourselves on having an energetic and exciting atmosphere in Diddle Arena, our attendance levels are reaching historic lows."

ken mcdonald is one of the worst train-wrecks i've witnessed as a long time basketball fan. worse than one of those old black and white movies where 2 trains hit each other head on. and pop up in the air. and leave coal scattered everywhere.

i understand why they kept him even if i disagreed with it. our pres. and a.d. were enamored with this recruiting class and wanted them on campus. they then restructured mcdummy's contract...taking 100k off and making the payoff over 4 years instead of immediate. this helps him because he has poor impulse control. if he received it all at once i could picture him in a future tyrone biggums scenario where he tells a class of children....'that boys and girls was the first time i blanked a blank for crack.

lots o' speculation over what the crowd would be yesterday. i figured 3500-4000. i know bowling green and we have front runner fans. i was ecstatic with 5200. and they were into the game.

our players are still who i thought they were. too slow to check anyone off the dribble. too poor of shooters to hurt you from 3 land. but they played a lot harder for ray harper.

ray knows a little bit about hoops. i honestly believe he'll have us playing well by sun belt tourney time.

before the game l. brenneman (asst coach) was on the radio and was asked if we'd use zone some. he replied that we had not worked on any zone at all. that's how staggering mcdummy's wreck was. because we all know a zone is how you stop a good outside shooting team. B)

actually, i don't believe that but you need a zone in your arsenal.

you guys and denver should drill us. we lost by 20 to fiu. lost to ulala and troy at home. but ray said friday he had 57 days to get ready for the sun belt tourney. he can't make us quicker or taller in that time but he can make us a tougher out.

p.s. how idiotic did waters come across in his 6 on 5 statement?

• Upvote 1

I've heard about it , do you have a link to what he said ?

here is what jay walker, the ulala radio guy said about waters' statement.

As well as I think Wood and McElwain handled their situations, I was equally appalled and embarrassed by the quote attributed to Sun Belt Commissioner Wright Waters:

“This probably happens more than we realize,” Waters said. “Coaches are on the court, too. If the official had stopped it then it upsets the flow of the final seconds of the game. But we wish it wouldn’t have happened.”

Please tell me you’re kidding.

No, this does not happen more than we realize.  And, if the official had stopped it, he’d have been doing his freaking job.

Waters has gone overboard trying to embellish the high-quality officiating in the Sun Belt in all sports,  to the point where he loses credibility.  In this case, he issued an almost incoherent response that looks like Commissioner-speak for, “hey, shit happens.”  To try and downplay something this egregious makes everyone look like a fool, no one moreso than the boss himself.

'this probably happens more than we realize'

mmmmmm......NO

i was listening to fox sports radio last night and they're still talking about this. and were dogging the sun belt jabba the hutt. has that fat tub of goo ever watched hoops? i've watched hoops my whole life and never seen it happen.

i think the dummy just thought western was crying about something again and was his normal flippant self. thank god he's leaving.

• Upvote 1

Always glad to have you around, sir.

Congrats on your coaching change. I wish they'd waited a little longer, but I'm glad for you.

i can't express my happiness in the scribbled word medium amigo.

if by some crazy chance we get on a run and i do something crazy like end up in hot springs i'd give you all the rundown on what a trainwreck mcdonald was and why he would never would have had success.

nobody can say ray will have success but he's done well in his past. i know i've always stated i thought success in any sport is 80/20 talent/coaching. but the 20 has to be solid.

i actually knew about it thursday. probably one of 4 people in diddle that knew it was happening. but if i had posted it....probably would have lost the source. i was giddy.

i watch every game but will be psyched about the game thursday.