Arkansas State hires Gus Malzahn

KoldBeer

If he is successful, he will be gone pretty quick because ASU won't be able to pay him enough to keep him. It sounds like the situation at Auburn was deteriorating and he wanted out. Success will bring better job offers than Vandy.

If he is not successful, it will be funny watching ASU try and scrounge up the money to buy out the contract.

Yes, my response to him being there was in response to a post about him wanting the Arkansas job. 2-3 years at ASU and I think he is gone.

I don't think that he will be interested in staying at ASU long term if he is successful. He is looking to move up. This provides him an opportunity to do so.

Gus might walk in 2 years.

But he is four hours from his home town. He now lives minutes from some of his closest friends. He is provided a massive house in an exclusive golf neighborhood he has no car expense for himself or his wife. He and his wife said long before this came up that they do not want to live in a large metro area.

His contract includes incentives based on donations weighted with highest rewards for donations from people who have never donated. My sources say he can be at a million before the contract is up if he has success.

ASU boosters are providing 85% of his salary. Given state of the program there may be significant salary growth potential.

He is provided a massive house in an exclusive golf neighborhood he has no car expense for himself or his wife.

Is this any different from almost every HC job in America? If not, should it really be mentioned as a reason stAte got him?

I think it's obvious why he went there. It's not the salary growth or that Ark. is his home state or that he gets a car and house allowance. It's that Ark. St. is lined up to be at or near the top of the belt for a while and that place worked out well for Freeze and Malzahn knows what he's getting into. Guy wants to win and have a shot to win wherever he goes. Nothing kills a head coaches coaching career quicker than losing.

Is this any different from almost every HC job in America? If not, should it really be mentioned as a reason stAte got him?

I think it's obvious why he went there. It's not the salary growth or that Ark. is his home state or that he gets a car and house allowance. It's that Ark. St. is lined up to be at or near the top of the belt for a while and that place worked out well for Freeze and Malzahn knows what he's getting into. Guy wants to win and have a shot to win wherever he goes. Nothing kills a head coaches coaching career quicker than losing.

I dunno... Charlie Weiss keeps getting jobs. He hasn't really been successful since he left the pros. Guess his genius is still too great for the college game.

They return exactly two of their starting front seven(and they lose another top LB who only played 7 games). One DL and one LB. However, they play A LOT of linebackers. I'm going by the participation report on our website because they don't show participation reports on theirs. I was looking yesterday, and they graduate a ton of their defense. But with Aplin still there, they'll still be good. I would expect a decent drop off from their defense though.

I guess I'm just missing why being the HC at ARSt. is MORE of an opportunity than being the Offensive Coordinator of Auburn or the HC of Vanderbilt?

It depends on what his goals are. If he wants to be a head coach at a place where he can prove himself for a better job, then ASU seems to be a better choice. Worked fine for the last guy. I think he is a ladder guy who wants to put himself in a position to succeed. Vandy doesn't give anyone a chance to succeed and Auburn is no longer a good situation.

But he is four hours from his home town. He now lives minutes from some of his closest friends. He is provided a massive house in an exclusive golf neighborhood he has no car expense for himself or his wife. He and his wife said long before this came up that they do not want to live in a large metro area.

His contract includes incentives based on donations weighted with highest rewards for donations from people who have never donated. My sources say he can be at a million before the contract is up if he has success.

ASU boosters are providing 85% of his salary. Given state of the program there may be significant salary growth potential.

This really supports the ASU being a good place for him argument. This seems like a great hire for the you guys. It works for Malzahn on many levels, so why not? I doubt he will be there long if the right job comes along, so enjoy him while you can.

Isaiah Thomas? Really?

We hired a guy that can energize Arkansans. Sell tickets. And run Hugh Freeze's offense. Please understand stAte's plight. Statewide media ignores us. Not tonight. The former golden child of the Razorbacks ( and Hugh Freeze's mentor ), got us the lead story on 2 Little Rock newscasts at 10. Not sportscasts - newscasts. I know it seems like it isn't a big deal - but hell we struggle to get scores mentioned in Little Rock TV - not to mention highlights.

This hire is a BIG deal in Arkansas. And a 14K enrollment school stepped up and paid the biggest SBC football contract EVER. How about some props for advancing our league.

And North Texas got good publicity after the Todd Dodge hire, and that ended up being a disaster.

Not saying Malzahn is anything close to Todd Dodge, just giving a word of caution: Hire the guy that you (the person doing the hiring) think will win you football games, not the guy that will get your program a quick splash on local, or even national, TV.

• Upvote 1

I'm just glad for the fact that somebody other than the University of Arkansas is gaining some publicity in that state. ASU has a chance to get a really nice footprint if they keep things like this up.

the price of poker just went upn the Belt. Successful head coaches will expect that kind of money.

And North Texas got good publicity after the Todd Dodge hire, and that ended up being a disaster.

Not saying Malzahn is anything close to Todd Dodge, just giving a word of caution: Hire the guy that you (the person doing the hiring) think will win you football games, not the guy that will get your program a quick splash on local, or even national, TV.

I do find it fascinating how their two careers have gone so far. They both won state titles before they both went the college route. I believe they went to the college game the same year. One goes as a head coach, the other as a coordinator. One is now a somewhat promising young head coach, the other is a quarterback coach.

Was there anything in his compensation package that included help for his wife, like therapy or at least a big cork?

Man, what is wrong with that woman?

JUST SHUT UP!!!!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick