Mountain West Letter to BCS - Wow

Harry

Mountain West just shot off a cannon at the BCS and I think they may have a point. Here's an excerpt but if you follow realignment, the entire letter makes for an interesting read. You have to think that the Mountain West is setting up a lawsuit if denied the two year exemption.

Two important factors are at the core of the Committee’s consideration of this request for an exemption – precedent and performance. The BCS has a well-established history of granting automatic qualification exemptions. Equally important, the performance of the Mountain West during the evaluation period has clearly been deserving of automatic-qualifying status.

In February 2004, prior to the implementation of the BCS contract established for the 2004-2007 cycle, the Big East Conference (Big East) experienced membership change which significantly affected the competitive strength of its football enterprise. However, without any formal action, the Big East was permitted to retain its automatic-qualifying status for the next cycle – apparently based upon reputation and relationships, rather than demonstrated performance.

Read Entire Letter: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/mwc/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2011-12/misc_non_event/mw-submits-bcs-aq-exemption-re.pdf

I think this article helps to better explain the ramifications of this letter:

So what is next? I, myself, am not sure. I do know that this news is fun and exciting. Not because I am a Mountain West fan or a fan of any of the teams in the Mountain West, but because I am anti-BCS and this is terrible news for the BCS.

http://www.espnflorida.com/tuck-bcss-worst-nightmare-the-mountain-west-conference/

Correct me if I'm wrong. But that part....

......the Big East was permitted to retain its automatic-qualifying

status for the next cycle – apparently based upon reputation and relationships, rather than demonstrated performance......

.....is in reference to when Louisville, who in their last year of C-USA(2004) before leaving for the Big East, finished 11-1 and at or in the top 12. That season was completed in the C-USA conference. But the Big East got down on their knees and convinced the committee to allow that season for Louisville to count as a Big East member instead, barely allowing the Big East to skid right under the exemption door. The door should have closed on the Big East for failure to meet the exemption clause, opening up the AQ status instead to the MWC?

It was a complete BS move and convinced me these people will make up the rules as they go along to keep it all to themselves.

This was also the same time that TCU was convinced by Mountain West sources that they would be getting the Big East's AQ status, leading the frogs to bolt to the the MWC.

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Correct me if I'm wrong. But that part....

.....is in reference to when Louisville, who in their last year of C-USA(2004) before leaving for the Big East, finished 11-1 and at or in the top 12. That season was completed in the C-USA conference. But the Big East got down on their knees and convinced the committee to allow that season for Louisville to count as a Big East member instead, barely allowing the Big East to skid right under the exemption door. The door should have closed on the Big East for failure to meet the exemption clause, opening up the AQ status instead to the MWC?

It was a complete BS move and convinced me these people will make up the rules as they go along to keep it all to themselves.

This was also the same time that TCU was convinced by Mountain West sources that they would be getting the Big East's AQ status, leading the frogs to bolt to the the MWC.

Rick

Good point Rick. I'm telling you this thing may have some legs. The BCS is vulnerable right now.

Navy just announced they are moving football to Big East, but because of existing t.v. contracts it might take them to 2018 to get there.by my count when smoke clears that gives them 8 schools for all sports, and 3 football only, leaving 1 football only slot to reach desired goal of 12. come on E.C.U.!

Navy just announced they are moving football to Big East, but because of existing t.v. contracts it might take them to 2018 to get there.by my count when smoke clears that gives them 8 schools for all sports, and 3 football only, leaving 1 football only slot to reach desired goal of 12. come on E.C.U.!

Link?