Penn State athletics and sexual predation

ESPN.com

A former defensive coordinator who was integral for decades to Penn State's success in football was accused Saturday of sexually abusing eight boys, and the school's athletic director and an administrator were charged with perjury and failing to report what they knew about the allegations in a case that prosecutor said uncovered a years-long trail of a predator and those who protected him.

Former coach Jerry Sandusky, 67, of State College, was arrested Saturday and released on $100,000 bail after being arraigned on 40 criminal counts, the state attorney general's office said. Athletic director Tim Curley, 57, and Penn State vice president for finance and business Gary Schultz, 62, both of Boalsburg, were expected to turn themselves in Monday in Harrisburg. Schultz's position includes oversight of the university's police department.

Longtime head coach Joe Paterno, who has more victories than any coach in the history of Division I football, was not charged, authorities said, and the grand jury report did not appear to implicate him in wrongdoing. When Paterno first learned of one report of abuse he immediately reported it to Curley, prosecutors said. Sandusky was no longer coaching at the time and it's not clear whether Paterno followed up with Curley.

Yep, cause the first thing I would do if an employee of mine reported finding a co-worker having anal sex with a 10 year old boy is tell my boss.

Joe Pa may not be legally culpable, but he is damn sure morally culpable, and this failure to act will forever stigmatize Joe Pa's name.

As it damn well should.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yep, cause the first thing I would do if an employee of mine reported finding a co-worker having anal sex with a 10 year old boy is tell my boss.

Joe Pa may not be legally culpable, but he is damn sure morally culpable, and this failure to act will forever stigmatize Joe Pa's name.

As it damn well should.

I think one should be legally culpable in this case. I really respect JoePa but man I don't think he is any less guilty than the other guys who didn't properly report it to the POLICE.

There is no indication that JoePa had any idea that was what had taken place.

There is no indication that JoePa had any idea that was what had taken place.

Complete BS.

Even if it Isn't. it's because JoePa didnt WANT to know. How do you not question your grad Asst when he comes to you and tells you he just found your former DC in the shower with a 10 year old boy? Seriously???

He obviously thought something was wrong enough to report it to the AD, yet he didn't know the details? Bulsh.

And now a VP at Penn St has been indicted and arrested for failure to report and perjury. Makes one wonder just how many were involved in the cover up and how JoePa can justify coaching after this year.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Complete BS.

Even if it Isn't. it's because JoePa didnt WANT to know. How do you not question your grad Asst when he comes to you and tells you he just found your former DC in the shower with a 10 year old boy? Seriously???

He obviously thought something was wrong enough to report it to the AD, yet he didn't know the details? Bulsh.

And now a VP at Penn St has been indicted and arrested for failure to report and perjury. Makes one wonder just how many were involved in the cover up and how JoePa can justify coaching after this year.

Penn State administration is figuring out who to drop a dime on to save their own sorry asses. I think there's people high enough in their food chain and well enough in the know about what happened that they may be trying to figure out the right timing for throwing JoePa under the bus. I'm sure they're still hoping that Joe saying it ain't so will work, but he may find out like a few others just how dispensable football coaches can be when they're seen as a liability. Still, I may be naive; I'm surprised that Dave Bliss got away with all he did at Baylor, and he was just a run of the mill basketball coach. The problem for Penn State is, their lawyers will be telling the administration to keep quiet, and anyone who reads any of this will wonder just who all knew what and when, making it a real problem for any PSU administrator, football coach and even players in their program during the time this was happening to avoid being under a cloud.

Penn State administration is figuring out who to drop a dime on to save their own sorry asses. I think there's people high enough in their food chain and well enough in the know about what happened that they may be trying to figure out the right timing for throwing JoePa under the bus. I'm sure they're still hoping that Joe saying it ain't so will work, but he may find out like a few others just how dispensable football coaches can be when they're seen as a liability. Still, I may be naive; I'm surprised that Dave Bliss got away with all he did at Baylor, and he was just a run of the mill basketball coach. The problem for Penn State is, their lawyers will be telling the administration to keep quiet, and anyone who reads any of this will wonder just who all knew what and when, making it a real problem for any PSU administrator, football coach and even players in their program during the time this was happening to avoid being under a cloud.

People are getting charged with felonies. Any administrator at Penn St. with knowledge of this has most likely consulted their own personal attorney (unless they are really stupid), and I promise you that attorney has told them to be completely honest with authorities, even if they did know about the abuse and did nothing. Failure to report is a misdemeanor, perjury is a felony, The time to lie has past.

Now, whether they are honest with their attorney is an entirely different subject. Obviously the AD and at least one VP were dumb enoiugh to either lie to their attorney or not follow sound legal advice.

Joe Pa will not survive this scandal. Makes you wonder about other improprities in this supposedly super-clean program. If you will ignore sexual abuse of a child, ignoring your star QB's new corvette that he has no means to purchase probably doesn't even register on your moral meter.