Source: Plans on track for SMU to join Big East

NT80

Just off the press:

Published: 21 October 2011 10:11 PM

"SMU athletic director Steve Orsini and president R. Gerald Turner have yet to meet face-to-face with Big East officials, according to a source with knowledge of the negotiations. But plans are on track for SMU to join the league, the source said, with hopes for a meeting between parties soon."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/smu-mustangs/20111021-source-plans-on-track-for-smu-to-join-big-east.ece

I hope it happens (for UNT's sake, not theirs). Is it being delayed due to the Mizzou decision, thus Boise/Navy decision? It could be an interesting next week with lots of announcements.

I'm not sure how they can say SMU is "on track" to joining the Big East when they haven't even met yet. It's kind of like telling everyone you have a girlfriend, but that noone knows her because she lives in Canada. I still say we need to be careful what we wish for. There's no guarantee that we will get into the MWC or CUSA. Not to mention we will be the only D-1 school in DFW not in an AQ conference.

I still say we need to be careful what we wish for. There's no guarantee that we will get into the MWC or CUSA. Not to mention we will be the only D-1 school in DFW not in an AQ conference.

I like our odds of getting into CUSA better without SMU in it.

Most fans don't know or care about AQ vs non-AQ, it's more about if they know the opponent or not.

Baylor has been in an AQ conference since the BCS began and they haven't sniffed a BCS Bowl. They do gain from it financially and by Big12 opponents bringing fans. Do we really think UConn or Rutgers fans will fill Ford Stadium?

I am glad for SMU but the Big East is a weird conference. Watching those games tonight in Syracuse and Louisville were strange. I think SMU can go in and compete right away because it is AQ in name only. The atmosphere at Louisville reminded me of a cheesy UNLV football game with piped in music. They will benefit by being AQ and we will benefit after our invite to either CUSA or the MWC from either regional rivalries or name opponents.

Exciting times ahead folks! I still think MWC might come knocking as soon as they get a feel for what Boise is going to do. I think Boise would benefit from joining the BE. It would be the program that gives the BE some teeth. I believe even more than what TCU would have done. Not a knock against TCU, but Boise is even more of a national darling.

The Beginning is Near!

GMG

• Upvote 2

I believe that the flies in the ointment are Boise State and Missouri. If Missouri does bolt for the SEC it could be that Boise gets the Big Twelve invite. I have a hunch that the Broncos might be picked to replace Missouri. It has been reported that the Big XII and BYU could not come to terms. If Boise State is not offered then they will probably go to the Big East.

I firmly believe that if Boise wants to go to an AQ conference that they would be better off in the BEC where they would stand a better chance of winning that conference than the Big Twelve.

As to SMU being on track I think that simply means that they have Board approval for the exit and entrance fees. We know that there have been conversations and likely a conditional invite but no face-to-face meetings.

I believe that the flies in the ointment are Boise State and Missouri. If Missouri does bolt for the SEC it could be that Boise gets the Big Twelve invite. I have a hunch that the Broncos might be picked to replace Missouri. It has been reported that the Big XII and BYU could not come to terms. If Boise State is not offered then they will probably go to the Big East.

I firmly believe that if Boise wants to go to an AQ conference that they would be better off in the BEC where they would stand a better chance of winning that conference than the Big Twelve.

As to SMU being on track I think that simply means that they have Board approval for the exit and entrance fees. We know that there have been conversations and likely a conditional invite but no face-to-face meetings.

Not that I think it's valid but Boise's academics would be a tough sell to the Big 12.

Most fans don't know or care about AQ vs non-AQ, it's more about if they know the opponent or not.

Baylor has been in an AQ conference since the BCS began and they haven't sniffed a BCS Bowl. They do gain from it financially and by Big12 opponents bringing fans. Do we really think UConn or Rutgers fans will fill Ford Stadium?

But recruits will know.If they don't , the coaches in the area that we go up against will sure let them know.